United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 03-07-2017, 11:24 AM
Throw

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
um.... he hasn't done any new interviews for a while?
Well that's my point () . Why make another doc going over the same ground? Was there anything new to be said?

If not and they want to do it, there's plenty of creative documentary storytelling styles out there. Try something like that perhaps?

Maybe some perspectives from new people other than Paddy

Anyway, I only saw 20 mins but it was the same footage of him and the champagne pyramid, and the adverts he did. I'll still watch it.

Unread 03-07-2017, 01:05 PM
sub three hours

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Irwell
Don't know about official name but they were always referred to as Northern Ireland during home championships. But always remember reading Best saying something about "as an Irishman....." he was pleased about something he'd done . Can't remember what but he did say it.

Mid sixties. Not as divisive then - until it all kicked off a few years later.
I would have thought they'd always have been referred to as Northern Ireland that's which I was so surprised to see the BBC captions officially calling them Ireland.

Unread 03-07-2017, 01:16 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throw
Well that's my point () . Why make another doc going over the same ground? Was there anything new to be said?

If not and they want to do it, there's plenty of creative documentary storytelling styles out there. Try something like that perhaps?

Maybe some perspectives from new people other than Paddy

Anyway, I only saw 20 mins but it was the same footage of him and the champagne pyramid, and the adverts he did. I'll still watch it.
it's very well told.

knowledge and understanding of alcoholism and depression has grown even just in the last decade and that is reflected ...

the interviews with the 3 main ladies in his life are very raw in this film as well. the relationship with his folks isn't sugar-coated either.

this is a really good film imo.

Unread 03-07-2017, 01:23 PM
n48

Wikipedia cut and paste job....

Irish Football Assoc formed in 1880, after the split in 1921the FAI was formed as a rival organisation representing the South.

1936 – FAI begins also selecting Northern players
1946 – FAI stops selecting Northern players
1950 – IFA stops selecting Southern players ("Northern Ireland" as of 1954)

Both associations claimed to represent the whole of the island, each competing internationally under the name "Ireland" and selecting players from both the rival national leagues, which also split at this time. Interventions by FIFA gave the FAI de jure organising rights over the 26 counties of the Republic, with the IFA restricted to Northern Ireland. From the 1950s onwards, the IFA no longer claimed it was the association for the whole of Ireland.

From 1960....The IFA continued to regulate the game in Northern Ireland, and all results obtained by the Irish national side and records in the Irish Football League and the cup competition stand as Northern Irish records.

In a word

Unread 03-07-2017, 01:25 PM
Throw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
it's very well told.

knowledge and understanding of alcoholism and depression has grown even just in the last decade and that is reflected ...

the interviews with the 3 main ladies in his life are very raw in this film as well. the relationship with his folks isn't sugar-coated either.

this is a really good film imo.
Cheers Throb

Unread 03-07-2017, 01:55 PM
sub three hours

Quote:
Originally Posted by n48
Wikipedia cut and paste job....

Irish Football Assoc formed in 1880, after the split in 1921the FAI was formed as a rival organisation representing the South.

1936 – FAI begins also selecting Northern players
1946 – FAI stops selecting Northern players
1950 – IFA stops selecting Southern players ("Northern Ireland" as of 1954)

Both associations claimed to represent the whole of the island, each competing internationally under the name "Ireland" and selecting players from both the rival national leagues, which also split at this time. Interventions by FIFA gave the FAI de jure organising rights over the 26 counties of the Republic, with the IFA restricted to Northern Ireland. From the 1950s onwards, the IFA no longer claimed it was the association for the whole of Ireland.

From 1960....The IFA continued to regulate the game in Northern Ireland, and all results obtained by the Irish national side and records in the Irish Football League and the cup competition stand as Northern Irish records.

In a word
Absolute madness.

The thing is though, the footage of Besty playing in the home championships last night in the documentary would probably have been late 60s early 70s I guess yet the BBC captions definitely referred to the team as Ireland.....even though the wiki link suggests the IFA was no longer claiming that it represented all of Ireland by then.

Unread 03-07-2017, 04:30 PM
red in cumbria

I think the original Rothmans yearbook (published in 1970) referred to NI simply as "Ireland" (and the republic as "Eire")

Unread 03-07-2017, 04:33 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
I think the original Rothmans yearbook (published in 1970) referred to NI simply as "Ireland" (and the republic as "Eire")
how long have you thought this for?

no need to be exact.

basically was it before 4.15pm today or after?

Unread 03-07-2017, 04:41 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
how long have you thought this for?

no need to be exact.

basically was it before 4.15pm today or after?
I had a copy as a kid and almost memorised it by heart, got binned a few decades ago though

Unread 03-07-2017, 05:01 PM
silv

shouldnt have watched that ona monday afternoon ffs

Unread 03-07-2017, 06:11 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
I had a copy as a kid and almost memorised it by heart, got binned a few decades ago though
i had a few of them football yearbooks i robbed off the local library when i was a kid - used to love looking at that stuff.

have you started buying back any of the stuff you gave away years ago and still kind of miss yet, you sad bastard? i have.

Unread 03-07-2017, 06:18 PM
Denis Irwell

Got loads of stuff Just gathering dust dating back to pre -Munich. Teacher gave us some early stuff but mine from sixties. Can't throw it out.

Unread 03-07-2017, 06:41 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Irwell
Got loads of stuff Just gathering dust dating back to pre -Munich. Teacher gave us some early stuff but mine from sixties. Can't throw it out.
had a couple of mad sessions of giving stuff away down the years - books, cuttings, sticker books etc

sold loads of vinyl as well.

Unread 03-07-2017, 07:12 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
sold loads of vinyl as well
Sold all mine in student days - needed the money

I've got some of it back on CD these days. Some.

Unread 05-07-2017, 10:21 PM
jaffo

Just watched it, very good.

Were Paddy's flies undone when they were interviewed together in a hotel room?
Closed Thread