United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 12-05-2014, 11:59 AM
Neo

Football Juan Sebastián Verón Announces Retirement

Another great United midfielder hangs up the boots.

Still remember the immensity of the buzz when he signed in the summer of 2001. Loved Seba; superb player.

Unread 12-05-2014, 12:01 PM
That Boy Ronaldo!

FFS No link to that stunning pass to Ruud during pre-season.

Brilliant player, just didn't work out. Would be a stunning player for us now.

Unread 12-05-2014, 12:02 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
Another great United midfielder hangs up the boots.

What a £#%&!ing waste of a talent he was at United. Literally the most exciting midfield player in the world at the time we signed him.

I can never work out why he failed so much because despite what you read, Ferguson knew what to do with most players he brought and how to get the best out of them. I wonder sometimes if that was the stage when Ferguson took a step back from the day to day management of the team?

Unread 12-05-2014, 12:04 PM
The Watcher

Everton at home in his first season. Looked like we’d signed the best footballer on the planet that day

£#%&!ing adored the 2001-02 season tbh. Abysmal ending (Leverkusen ffs) but it was great buzz following that side.

Glad he won a title with us. Stay frosty Seba

Unread 12-05-2014, 12:05 PM
Stickman

Wondering who's gonna post the shades smiley first tbf

Unread 12-05-2014, 12:06 PM
Admiral

He wasn't needed. Keane and Scholes were still at the top of their game and better players.

Unread 12-05-2014, 12:07 PM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral
He wasn't needed. Keane and Scholes were still at the top of their game and better players.
Something was definitely needed. Bayern absolutely handed us our arse a couple of months before he and Veron came in. I wanted Nedved personally, more dynamic.

Unread 12-05-2014, 12:07 PM
elephantstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Boy Ronaldo!
FFS No link to that stunning pass to Ruud during pre-season.

Brilliant player, just didn't work out. Would be a stunning player for us now.
I was at that game in New York, he looked a world beater that night. I know it was only a friendly but he was immense and looked what he was, the best player on the pitch.

Unread 12-05-2014, 12:10 PM
That Boy Ronaldo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elephantstone
I was at that game in New York, he looked a world beater that night. I know it was only a friendly but he was immense and looked what he was, the best player on the pitch.
At times he was absolutely £#%&!ing superb. Genuinely loved watching him at United & was gutted to see him go.

That pass for Beckham at home to Birmingham was pure class

Unread 12-05-2014, 12:14 PM
Rhodzy

Loved him.

Unread 12-05-2014, 12:14 PM
believe

I had that blue top with Veron 4 on the back. I was 23 ffs.

Unread 12-05-2014, 12:17 PM
ryanMUFC

That pass. 10/10 for commentary.
What a team that could have been, sad really.

Unread 12-05-2014, 12:18 PM
Chorlton74

only player i've seen cause red on red fighting.

ridiculously good when he wanted to be.

Unread 12-05-2014, 12:18 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
I wonder sometimes if that was the stage when Ferguson took a step back from the day to day management of the team?
I read a recent interview where he admitted a lot of it was done to his own attitude. There was a scandal in Italy at the time involving dodgy passports, which was a big reason for him leaving Serie A iirc.

tbh, Fergie’s idea off adding a worldy midfielder to the side and pushing Scholes further forward to play off RvN was legitimate. Veron just didn’t jel well enough with the rest of the side, who wanted to play at a quicker tempo.

Got the forth at Spurs during the 3-5. What a moment that was

Unread 12-05-2014, 12:19 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by chorlton74
only player i've seen cause red on red fighting..
irl?

Unread 12-05-2014, 12:27 PM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral
I remember thinking after the first couple of months he was starting to underwhelm and thinking Anfield, highbury, that's where he'll make the difference, but he was disgusting in both those 3-1 poundings and don't even get me started on Maine road in December.

Tyler may be a dick but I'll never forget the line(paraphrased) "and what would Roy Keane have to say about a tackle like that in the Manchester derby" after Veron pussyfooted when the game was firing up. I was so excited by the signing and badly wanted it to pay off but I never took to him, thought he was a huge disappointment and was fairly upbeat when we sold him to Chelsea.

Unread 12-05-2014, 12:29 PM
The Watcher

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
fairly upbeat when we sold him to Chelsea.
He scored the winner at Anfield for Chelsea on the opening day of the season

Unread 12-05-2014, 12:31 PM
Jack Duckworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
I read a recent interview where he admitted a lot of it was done to his own attitude. There was a scandal in Italy at the time involving dodgy passports, which was a big reason for him leaving Serie A iirc.

tbh, Fergie’s idea off adding a worldy midfielder to the side and pushing Scholes further forward to play off RvN was legitimate. Veron just didn’t jel well enough with the rest of the side, who wanted to play at a quicker tempo.

Got the forth at Spurs during the 3-5. What a moment that was
one of the biggest goons ever at that game. i fell down about 4 rows of seats celebrating

can you imagine us doing that now?

Unread 12-05-2014, 12:31 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Duckworth
one of the biggest goons ever at that game. i fell down about 4 rows of seats celebrating

I bet they must have thought you were £#%&!ing mental at Bloomfield Road.

Unread 12-05-2014, 12:33 PM
The Watcher

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Duckworth

Delighted I was at the same game as you pal.

Epic goonage.
Closed Thread