United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 12-03-2016, 10:07 PM
Neo

Question Has Football Become Absolutely Shit?

I understand that the majority of United fans and supporters have been frustrated and disappointed with the football we've been served up for the last few years, but I genuinely have lost a lot of interest in the sport as a whole recently, and it's got nothing to do with United's apparent decline.

I remember when I'd religiously watch every minute of every major international tournament. Don't think I missed a kick between USA '94 and Euro 2008. I'd be fully up-to-date with every detail of Serie A during the late 90s, and La Liga during the 2000s.

I was watching some highlights from France's Euro 2000 win the other day, and the football just seemed completely different - it was free-flowing, risk-taking, and strangely exciting. Modern football seemed £#%&!ing £#%&! in comparison - too much strategy, too much tactical analysis, too many oddball fans, from the OptaJoe Twitter @#%&!s, to the blogging #@&%!s, to the LADBible banter gimps. It's just a shit sport now IMO. It's been ruined.

The only thing that has peaked my interest in the last couple of seasons has been the Champion's League final, and watching Messi. Can't even be arsed with that now, tbh.

Anyone else feel the same way? It's boring as £#%&!.

Unread 12-03-2016, 10:11 PM
dunk

Pretty much. A bit of it is us getting older too.

Unread 12-03-2016, 10:12 PM
andyroo

No, it's just United are shit so football looks shit. I'm sure a Leicester fan would tell you football's never been better.

Unread 12-03-2016, 10:12 PM
Crumps

Virtually every team playing with one striker and inverted wingers makes for boring football with lots of nothing possession in a packed middle makes for shit football. The rise of the holding a midfielder post Makelele too, £#%&! off yo.

Unread 12-03-2016, 10:13 PM
ScarFace

Jose will liven things up.

Him v rat rafa, wenger, pep....

Unread 12-03-2016, 10:13 PM
Bunker Buster

Sage Card handed IN...

Unread 12-03-2016, 10:16 PM
ryanMUFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
I understand that the majority of United fans and supporters have been frustrated and disappointed with the football we've been served up for the last few years, but I genuinely have lost a lot of interest in the sport as a whole recently, and it's got nothing to do with United's apparent decline.

I remember when I'd religiously watch every minute of every major international tournament. Don't think I missed a kick between USA '94 and Euro 2008. I'd be fully up-to-date with every detail of Serie A during the late 90s, and La Liga during the 2000s.

I was watching some highlights from France's Euro 2000 win the other day, and the football just seemed completely different - it was free-flowing, risk-taking, and strangely exciting. Modern football seemed £#%&!ing £#%&! in comparison - too much strategy, too much tactical analysis, too many oddball fans, from the OptaJoe Twitter @#%&!s, to the blogging #@&%!s, to the LADBible banter gimps. It's just a shit sport now IMO. It's been ruined.

The only thing that has peaked my interest in the last couple of seasons has been the Champion's League final, and watching Messi. Can't even be arsed with that now, tbh.

Anyone else feel the same way? It's boring as £#%&!.
Agree with this. The game has become a lot less physical which is pretty annoying. Players jumping on the floor because they felt a hand on their shoulder

Unread 12-03-2016, 10:17 PM
Neo

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
No, it's just United are shit so football looks shit. I'm sure a Leicester fan would tell you football's never been better.
Nope. We've been shit before, but I still followed the game religiously.

Something's changed in recent years. It's just not as exciting anymore. You watch any random game nowadays and the chances are it will be a £#%&!ing chess match between two average sides scared to lose more than they're prepared to win.

There's a lot fewer top players around now IMO, too; certainly memorable individuals who entertain. Most of the top players nowadays are £#%&!ing robotic in comparison.

Unread 12-03-2016, 10:22 PM
Ethers

Yep, definitely see where you're coming from.

Of course it has its moments still, and seeing United beat the scousers or city will ever lose its appeal.

But in general, it's a sack of arse. Can only be arsed sitting through a non-United game if I've got money riding on it tbh.

Don't know half the players in the premier league anymore. Not arsed.

Unread 12-03-2016, 10:27 PM
andyroo

It probably doesn't help that we're all on here pulling United games to bits all day instead of doing our jobs.

But yes there's some truth in it.

Unread 12-03-2016, 10:30 PM
Bunker Buster

Don't watch any other games but united and some eredivisie...

Couldn't name you 7 starting players in most of the premier league clubs..it's been dead for years...

Unread 12-03-2016, 10:36 PM
armchair

The 'top' teams in england are absolute shite. Us, arsenal, city, chelsea, liverpool. Spurs aren't exactly exciting either.

A lot of the smaller sides play a lot like the United we loved. As football lovers we should all hope Leicester win the league.

Unread 12-03-2016, 10:36 PM
Fat Al

As others have said, used to devour any/all live football on TV.

Now, any non-Utd games (if I even put them on) are just background noise.

Unread 12-03-2016, 10:48 PM
Venceremos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
too much tactical analysis, too many oddball fans, from the OptaJoe Twitter @#%&!s, to the blogging #@&%!s, to the LADBible banter gimps.
It's entirely up to you whether to take notice or engage with these things.

Unread 12-03-2016, 10:52 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
Nope. We've been shit before, but I still followed the game religiously.

Something's changed in recent years. It's just not as exciting anymore. You watch any random game nowadays and the chances are it will be a £#%&!ing chess match between two average sides scared to lose more than they're prepared to win.

There's a lot fewer top players around now IMO, too; certainly memorable individuals who entertain. Most of the top players nowadays are £#%&!ing robotic in comparison.
Oi, we should be so lucky much of the time

Unread 12-03-2016, 10:53 PM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venceremos
It's entirely up to you whether to take notice or engage with these things.
It's not though, tbf.

Unless you want to exist like a hermit and literally only switch your telly on for 90 minutes

Unread 12-03-2016, 10:53 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Oi, we should be so lucky much of the time
Chess is sexy

Unread 12-03-2016, 10:59 PM
Mr_Ed

Think it has reached saturation point... 1 or 2 games a week on sky was great but with the tsunami of games these days I switch off... Oh and United are shite.

Unread 12-03-2016, 11:00 PM
Sparky***

I agree to an extent. Even the champions league has now become a boring precession every year with the same teams in the semi finals every season.

Don't underestimate the effect of 24/7 sports coverage and non stop football on telly has, rammed down your throat all the time. Makes you jaded.

Unread 12-03-2016, 11:03 PM
Vedder

Most of it is nonsense. Heats maps, distance ran, pass completion etc
Closed Thread