United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > Science & Technology
Closed Thread

Unread 01-07-2014, 02:48 PM
silv

do you sleepwalk by any chance?

a real man would be by the front door every night with a baseball bat ready to give out a hiding for anyone who even dares look at his door

Unread 01-07-2014, 02:55 PM
TravellingRed

I had someone rob me in a tent I was living in over the summer once whilst I was in it, took my cash and phone but left my wallet with bank cards in and my car which was parked outside. I didn't even stir but it isn't a great feeling knowing someone has been there.

Now I just keep a .44 magnum revolver in the nightstand

Unread 01-07-2014, 02:57 PM
MonkeyOnMyBack

Quote:
Originally Posted by silv
do you sleepwalk by any chance?

a real man would be by the front door every night with a baseball bat ready to give out a hiding for anyone who even dares look at his door
Nope. Already considering a camp bed at the top of the stairs - with a bee line to the front door. I also have a selection of hammers.

Unread 01-07-2014, 02:58 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravellingRed
I had someone rob me in a tent I was living in over the summer once whilst I was in it, took my cash and phone but left my wallet with bank cards in and my car which was parked outside. I didn't even stir but it isn't a great feeling knowing someone has been there.

Now I just keep a .44 magnum revolver in the nightstand
You lived in a tent ?

Why ?

Unread 01-07-2014, 03:01 PM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyOnMyBack
All advice appreciated

A couple weeks ago woke up to find the front door ajar, letterbox flipped up - coat hanger through the letterbox and flip the latch. Made it easy for them as weve been lax with the double locking.

Bit creepy as they walked passed some nickable stuff to come upstairs into the bedroom while we slept and take the girlfs handbag and my trousers from beside the bed - her purse, my wallet and house keys is all they got. We dont have a car.

So we changed the locks installed a security light for the little porch and set up a webcam pointing the the front path. And we keep the chubb locked whether we're in or out of the house.

Girlf came down this morning to find the letterbox flipped and the door had been pushed to - no entry gained. Webcam shows a blur walk by.

Any ideas on what we could do to alert us if they are trying or to put them off even trying ?

What id like is to run an quiet alarm/alert to the bedroom only, via the sensor we already have for the security light.

This is the closest ive seen but is battery powered

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wireless-Wea...pr_product_top

Tvm
I saw a report that over here at least, having a home security system and displaying the sign prominently was the number-one deterrent for break-ins, followed by a dog. They based this on canvassing a bunch of burglars in prison.

Unread 01-07-2014, 03:07 PM
MonkeyOnMyBack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
I saw a report that over here at least, having a home security system and displaying the sign prominently was the number-one deterrent for break-ins, followed by a dog. They based this on canvassing a bunch of burglars in prison.
Cheers Grim. Was trying to dodge that cost. But ive now booked an alarm man to come round and quote next week - girlf's orders.

Actually considered

and this

Before i checked meself..

Unread 01-07-2014, 03:07 PM
forwardirektion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyOnMyBack
Cheers Grim. Was trying to dodge that cost. But ive now booked an alarm man to come round and quote next week - girlf's orders.
Just buy the sign. Miles cheaper.

Unread 01-07-2014, 03:12 PM
TravellingRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
You lived in a tent ?

Why ?
My first summer working in Italy on a contract, couldn't get short term digs other than a hotel and it was $$$$ so a few of us stayed on a camp site walking distance from work

It was actually good, 6 weeks of getting home from work to chill by the pool with a beer and it was one of those sites that the tour buses full of Kiwis, Aussies and yanks go round Europe on...I have never pulled so much in my life, was off the chain, nqat.

Unread 01-07-2014, 03:15 PM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by forwardirektion
Just buy the sign. Miles cheaper.
It would probably work tbf. Probably can't get the real signs tho unless you get the whole thing.

Unread 01-07-2014, 03:28 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravellingRed
My first summer working in Italy on a contract, couldn't get short term digs other than a hotel and it was $$$$ so a few of us stayed on a camp site walking distance from work

It was actually good, 6 weeks of getting home from work to chill by the pool with a beer and it was one of those sites that the tour buses full of Kiwis, Aussies and yanks go round Europe on...I have never pulled so much in my life, was off the chain, nqat.
makes sense.

thought you'd fallen on tough times between contracts and headed to the hills..
Closed Thread