United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 13-10-2010, 08:59 AM
antonin jablonsky

Default Wigan Athletic fans - £#%&!wits.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2010...ion-sign-wigan

'Super League champions 2010' sign causes row with Wigan Athletic fans

* Andy Wilson
* The Guardian, Tuesday 12 October 2010

Wigan's first Super League title win for 12 years has created fresh tension with the town's Premier League football club in an unusual row over signposts.

The local council responded to Wigan's win against St Helens in the Grand Final by putting new signs reading "Wigan Warriors Super League champions 2010" underneath "Welcome to Wigan" on three approaches to the town. However, that provoked an angry reaction from Wigan Athletic supporters, and the council has now bolted the old signs, which describe Wigan as "home of Premiership football and Super League rugby", underneath.

"I'm happy the council have now decided to see sense," said Paul Farrington, who runs a Wigan Athletic fans website. "Driving through the town as you leave the motorway, you wouldn't have even known Premier League football exists here."

"It's an absolute disgrace," another supporter, Mark Cowley, told the Wigan Evening Post. "The person who made the decision simply can't be from Wigan. Any sporting success in the town should be celebrated but not at the cost of any other clubs."

"It was a clearly discriminatory act to focus solely on the rugby," said Andy Wolstenholme.

However, Mark Tilley, the council's head of highways, said: "We are proud both of the Warriors' recent success and Latics' Premiership status and wish to acknowledge this at certain gateways to the borough. We have therefore added new plates where there weren't any at all previously, and at other sites we will be celebrating both rugby and football together.

"There is a small expense attached to such signage but we look forward to celebrating continued success for both teams in the year ahead."

Unread 13-10-2010, 09:10 AM
thatsfuctit

Default Re: Wigan Athletic fans - £#%&!wits.

tards

Unread 13-10-2010, 09:21 AM
Part 36 Offer

I did some work experience with Andy Wilson; true story.

Unread 13-10-2010, 11:09 AM
ScarFace

Biggest nothing club since Boro.

Unread 13-10-2010, 11:10 AM
andyroo

Couldn't you just see you know who doing something like this?

Unread 13-10-2010, 11:28 AM
Cream

these £#%&!ing pie@#%&! arseholes can't even be bothered to show up at their home games, despite great efforts to draw them in via ticket drives (like city did when we were in school, used to get free tickets and sell them for a few quid outside Maine road).

nice stadium. top flight football. undeserving town.

Unread 13-10-2010, 11:31 AM
dodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by reem
these £#%&!ing pie@#%&! arseholes can't even be bothered to show up at their home games, despite great efforts to draw them in via ticket drives (like city did when we were in school, used to get free tickets and sell them for a few quid outside Maine road).

nice stadium. top flight football. undeserving town.
Well said.

Unread 13-10-2010, 11:34 AM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger
Well said.

Gah. the thalidomide fork.

I had that idea ten years ago.

Unread 13-10-2010, 12:08 PM
carlosartorial

Wigan Athletics average home gate is higher than Wigan Warriers.

#justsaying

Unread 13-10-2010, 01:07 PM
MagnificentSeven

wigan is more of a rugby town anyway, and half the football fans from there support united/city/liverpool/everton

Unread 13-10-2010, 01:11 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnificentSeven
wigan is more of a rugby town anyway, and half the football fans from there support united/city/liverpool/everton
Look up

Unread 13-10-2010, 01:35 PM
dodger

Quote:
I don't like this phrase. I don't think such a thing exists.

Unread 13-10-2010, 01:36 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger
I don't like this phrase. I don't think such a thing exists.
You've obviously never been to Featherstone.

Unread 13-10-2010, 01:38 PM
andyroo

Or Bath.

Or indeed Limerick. But don't go to Limerick.

Unread 13-10-2010, 01:39 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
Or Bath
Or Gloucester.......

Unread 13-10-2010, 01:42 PM
MagnificentSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
Look up
i know a few people from wigan, family friends, mutual friends, etc. most of them are into their egg chasing.

plus you have to take into account the fact their rugby team has won the league, whilst the football team as we know isn't up to much, so there's bound to be a few "rugby fans" who have come out of the woodwork at the minute.

Unread 13-10-2010, 01:45 PM
carlosartorial

Quote:
plus you have to take into account the fact their rugby team has won the league, whilst the football team as we know isn't up to much, so there's bound to be a few "rugby fans" who have come out of the woodwork at the minute.
Not up to much?

They've survived 6 years in the PL ffs....they were a 4th division club 15 years ago.

You need to put it in perspective.

Unread 13-10-2010, 01:49 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosartorial
Not up to much?

They've survived 6 years in the PL ffs....they were a 4th division club 15 years ago.

Their reaction to 3 signs is ridiculous though.

Unread 13-10-2010, 02:05 PM
MagnificentSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosartorial
Not up to much?

not up to much currently in this league i meant. they're not exactly making a din are they? they just seem to be floating around making up the numbers.

impressive that they've come all this way, granted, but right now they're hardly the most exciting team in the country, and united vs. wigan isn't one of my most looked forward to fixtures.

Unread 13-10-2010, 02:10 PM
Mark Corrigan

They used to have a couple of signs as you went in to Wigan saying 'home of premier league football' and they weren't complaining then

I work in Wigan and the amount of bitching between the rugby and football fans is ridiculous. They're all from the same town, you'd think they'd want the other team to do well.
Closed Thread