United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 13-08-2019, 07:24 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
What did he say about Shaw?
I think it was one of the occasions Shaw tracked Pedro infield and it left space down that side. Mou said Maguire had to come over to cover Shaw and he will need to learn to do that a lot during the season etc. Bet Luke can't believe he's still getting stick off Mou

Unread 13-08-2019, 07:29 AM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
I don’t think it’s smart for him to do that. His stock is lower than it should be for someone with his quality as a manager. Keeping up the trouble maker image won’t do him much good of getting back in at the level he wants.
Not sure that'll affect it too much tbh

"Herr Hoeneß, shall we proceed with our offer to Mourinho?"

"Nein mate, he had a go at that chubby lad who plays for United live on TV"

Unread 13-08-2019, 07:31 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip Hubley

You don't think so?

"Maybe we should go for Mourinho. Has he changed much? Calmed down a little? Taken some time for reflection?"

"Last I heard he was on TV having pops at the United players he couldn't get a tune out of"

"Oh...."

Unread 13-08-2019, 07:33 AM
Bunker Buster

Quote:

I think it would make a difference...

Also listening to the @#%&! he sends you to sleep. Seems to have no passion, just bitterness and scorn, how one man can fall out of love with the game so fast.

Unread 13-08-2019, 07:34 AM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
You don't think so?

"Maybe we should go for Mourinho. Has he changed much? Calmed down a little? Taken some time for reflection?"

"Last I heard he was on TV having pops at the United players he couldn't get a tune out of"

"Oh...."
Tbf I didn't hear the tone but it sounds like a reasonable observation based on Sunday's viewing.

As I say, not signing proper cover/ competition for left back is one of the glaring errors of the summer alongside no midfielder and right forward

Unread 13-08-2019, 07:39 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Tbf I didn't hear the tone but it sounds like a reasonable observation based on Sunday's viewing.

As I say, not signing proper cover/ competition for left back is one of the glaring errors of the summer alongside no midfielder and right forward
It's largely a tactical issue. If Shaw is not supposed to track Pedro/Mount infield he's to be told that by the staff. Yeah he'll get caught up field or out of position but every full-back with license to get forward will. AWB had a couple of moments in the first half too.

The last thing Mou wants to do in this TV gig is come across as the same bloke of the last few years.

Unread 13-08-2019, 08:14 AM
Sparky***

Forget tactics, shaw is just a shadow of the player he was pre-injury

go and have a look at the back end of last season, he was utterly abysmal. Looked like he'd never played a full season in his life. Lucky for him he was in a team full of such shit because he got off lightly compared to the likes of Matic, Young and Lukaku. But he was £#%&!ing terrible.

Wolves away, he gets absolutely beasted by Jota in the FA Cup for their 2nd.

City at home, he gets crapped on by Bernado Silva for city's 2nd.

Huddersfield away he's at fault for their equaliser from a long goal kick completely misses the ball

He just doesn't defend well at all. Teams are going to target our left side this season because he's the obvious weak link now we've sorted the right side out.

Unread 13-08-2019, 08:22 AM
Patty_b

Quote:
It's largely a tactical issue. If Shaw is not supposed to track Pedro/Mount infield he's to be told that by the staff. Yeah he'll get caught up field or out of position but every full-back with license to get forward will. AWB had a couple of moments in the first half too.

The last thing Mou wants to do in this TV gig is come across as the same bloke of the last few years.
Shaw was getting caught out far more than AWB though, and imo AWB had the much tougher job of covering an overlapping Emerson rather than Azpilicueta. The only time he really got caught out was when Emerson hit the post, other than that he was almost faultless.

You could tell early on Chelsea could see Shaw as the weakness and were trying to exploit him down the right. I think the only reason we switched system was to protect Shaw, rather than both AWB and Shaw.

Unread 13-08-2019, 08:51 AM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b
Shaw was getting caught out far more than AWB though, and imo AWB had the much tougher job of covering an overlapping Emerson rather than Azpilicueta. The only time he really got caught out was when Emerson hit the post, other than that he was almost faultless.

You could tell early on Chelsea could see Shaw as the weakness and were trying to exploit him down the right. I think the only reason we switched system was to protect Shaw, rather than both AWB and Shaw.
And it was... you know... AWB's debut. Shaw's been waddling around there for 5 seasons.

Play Dalot at left back.

Unread 13-08-2019, 08:57 AM
Baron

Quote:

Interpretations of a game.... AWB was covered by Lingard in the first half as Utd clearly understood that Emerson is a more attacking threat than Azpilicueta. Rashford didn't even bother to track back on his side, leaving Shaw 2v1 now & then, not a big deal as Maguire covered superbly & it left Rashford free to break into acres of space should we have sorted ourselves out quickly. We didn't (not often or decisively enough at least) but to me it looked a deliberate tactic.

The tactical switch appeared more of a decision to reinforce the midfield being bypassed over & over again. Not sure who could have foreseen that happening when you start McTommers & Pogba there

If we don't start with a 3 vs Wolves we'll get a rude awakening, play with an extra body in there & a front three & with the same clinical forward play we can maybe start to find our real style.

Unread 13-08-2019, 09:02 AM
Patty_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron
Interpretations of a game.... AWB was covered by Lingard in the first half as Utd clearly understood that Emerson is a more attacking threat than Azpilicueta. Rashford didn't even bother to track back on his side, leaving Shaw 2v1 now & then, not a big deal as Maguire covered superbly & it left Rashford free to break into acres of space should we have sorted ourselves out quickly. We didn't (not often or decisively enough at least) but to me it looked a deliberate tactic.

The tactical switch appeared more of a decision to reinforce the midfield being bypassed over & over again. Not sure who could have foreseen that happening when you start McTommers & Pogba there

If we don't start with a 3 vs Wolves we'll get a rude awakening, play with an extra body in there & a front three & with the same clinical forward play we can maybe start to find our real style.
Indeed, because personally I didn't think that Lingard was covering Emerson all that well, and that AWB was having to do the job. For me it looked like Shaw was getting dragged inside too much by the Chelsea wide-boy leaving the space open for azpilicueta to run into.

Obviously I know £#%&! all about our system, and realistically football in general, but I feel that Shaw should have been leaving his man as soon as they came inside for someone else to deal with, and then picking up the overlapping player instead.

Unread 13-08-2019, 09:43 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:

It's not really Shaw getting caught out though. It's the team getting caught. If Shaw is instructed to be following Pedro's runs infield (and he has excellent movement so it's easy to imagine) or they're overloading and that's leaving too much space on his side, that's a team tactical issue.

Does feel a bit like taking any opportunity to slate him. Didn't have an amazing game but nobody did.

Unread 13-08-2019, 09:49 AM
Baron

Quote:
Indeed, because personally I didn't think that Lingard was covering Emerson all that well, and that AWB was having to do the job. For me it looked like Shaw was getting dragged inside too much by the Chelsea wide-boy leaving the space open for azpilicueta to run into.

Obviously I know £#%&! all about our system, and realistically football in general, but I feel that Shaw should have been leaving his man as soon as they came inside for someone else to deal with, and then picking up the overlapping player instead.

The system wasn't exactly working as Chelsea were running straight through us, gaps all over the place, but I think the fullbacks were tracking their men rather than passing them on & we don't know if that was deliberate or just poor defending.

Unread 13-08-2019, 09:53 AM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
You don't think so?

"Oh...."
Having pops ffs. He was giving his opinion as a pundit. It was all fair comment.

Unread 13-08-2019, 09:53 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:

Then he should have been told that before the game. United didn't look well prepared in any aspect tbh. Hopefully that's just because it's early doors but there are signs that individual quality, good spirit, youthful energy and the addition of some bigger personalities are going to be stronger attributes than an obvious cohesive system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy Dodger
Having pops ffs. He was giving his opinion as a pundit. It was all fair comment.
Did he criticise Cesar Azpilicueta? If he did I may have missed it.

The only other player I heard him criticise in general terms was David Luiz. Another former player he didn't like

Unread 13-08-2019, 10:00 AM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:

The only other player I heard him criticise in general terms was David Luiz. Another former player he didn't like
I didn’t see everything he said, but from what I heard he said something like Maguire will have to cover for shaw a lot and that will be a problem because it’s not in the nature of the midfield players to track people through the middle. I didn’t hear any malice in his words. Just statements which seem fair enough to me, given he’s a pundit.

He also commented on Chelsea later on. Papers made a big issue out of it, but again it seemed fair comment about how the experience on the bench should have been starting the match. Even then, he qualified it by saying he’s on the outside looking in and doesn’t have full info on their situation.

Unread 13-08-2019, 10:15 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
that maguire will have to get used to covering for him
I seem to recall Vidic spending a fair amount of time covering for Evra tbf.

Unread 13-08-2019, 10:20 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy Dodger
I didn’t see everything he said, but from what I heard he said something like Maguire will have to cover for shaw a lot and that will be a problem because it’s not in the nature of the midfield players to track people through the middle. I didn’t hear any malice in his words. Just statements which seem fair enough to me, given he’s a pundit.
No, it was very much a side swipe at Shaw. Pretty much everyone who actually watched it would agree.

He can say what he wants. I just don't think he's going to help himself on SKY by the looks of things.

Unread 13-08-2019, 10:53 AM
Coracao

Quote:
Then he should have been told that before the game. United didn't look well prepared in any aspect tbh. Hopefully that's just because it's early doors but there are signs that individual quality, good spirit, youthful energy and the addition of some bigger personalities are going to be stronger attributes than an obvious cohesive system.

If he can't comment in players he has workee with and knows far more about than anyone else, then seems a bit pointless having him on

Shaw is a liability.

Unread 13-08-2019, 10:58 AM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
If he can't comment in players he has workee with and knows far more about than anyone else, then seems a bit pointless having him on

Shaw is a liability.
Time will tell. I'm not panicking as such because, conversely by not signing cover or competition, at least he can't say the manager hasn't shown any faith in him. Sink or swim.
Closed Thread