United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 12-02-2020, 02:30 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticusgrinch
How is the current football style better than Mourinho's?

Don’t start pointing out facts mate.

Unread 12-02-2020, 02:33 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***

Its not a fact because it's completely subjective but I'm intrigued how playing primarily counter attack football is seen under one manager as dour but under another, with poorer results and less goals scored and more conceded, it's actually aesthetically more pleasing to the eye.

Because it looks like absolute shite to me.

Unread 12-02-2020, 02:35 PM
dunk

Quote:
Cool. How long then?

I only ask because you are seemingly absolutely sure we are heading down the right path with the right man in charge, so in your infinite expertise how long is this “fix” going to take?
2-3 years tbh. If there's no significant improvement this time next season (in among the top 4, fewer glaringly awful performances) then there may be an issue. As it stands, we went into this season £#%&!ed from the outset given the options in midfield and attack, were further hamstrung by injuries and have been just getting by. I reckoned an 8th place finish at the start of the season based on the squad, reckon that'll be about right, unless Bruno and Ighalo give everyone a boost.

Unread 12-02-2020, 02:35 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Its not a fact because it's completely subjective but I'm intrigued how playing primarily counter attack football is seen under one manager as dour but under another, with poorer results and less goals scored and more conceded, it's actually aesthetically more pleasing to the eye.

Kool Aid mate. Lots and lots of Kool Aid.

Unread 12-02-2020, 02:36 PM
dunk

Quote:

It's pretty much exactly the same isn't it? Just less well executed.
Probably because the current style is being dictated by the players available rather than being the ultimate goal.

Unread 12-02-2020, 02:38 PM
Patty_b

Quote:

It's pretty much exactly the same isn't it? Just less well executed.
It's more forward thinking for a start. It's not paying dividends yet, primarily due to an abject lack of creativity.

Rashford being a prime example. He pretty much played as a wing back under Mourinho, being ran into the ground every which way other than towards the opposition goal. Now he's being deployed on the left to attack the opposition goal, which has seen him get his best return yet.

Same on the opposite flank, and wing backs that are encouraged to overlap instead of a safety first approach. It would help if we had a centre forward who liked to attack a ball into the box, and wingbacks and wingers who could deliver the ball to attack. But the idea is there even if the execution isn't yet.

Quote:

I'll point you to the direction of the Rashford thread.

Unread 12-02-2020, 02:39 PM
Zorg

Quote:

Fewer

Unread 12-02-2020, 02:40 PM
AK14

Quote:

Unread 12-02-2020, 02:44 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b
It's more forward thinking for a start. It's not paying dividends yet, primarily due to an abject lack of creativity.

Rashford being a prime example. He pretty much played as a wing back under Mourinho, being ran into the ground every which way other than towards the opposition goal. Now he's being deployed on the left to attack the opposition goal, which has seen him get his best return yet.

Same on the opposite flank, and wing backs that are encouraged to overlap instead of a safety first approach. It would help if we had a centre forward who liked to attack a ball into the box, and wingbacks and wingers who could deliver the ball to attack. But the idea is there even if the execution isn't yet.

I'll point you to the direction of the Rashford thread.
Was Rashford playing wing back when he scored 2 against Liverpool?

More forward thinking but less goals? Riigghhhhhtttt.

Heaven forbid Rashford gets run into the ground and... I dont know... gets injured for the season. That would be awful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Probably because the current style is being dictated by the players available rather than being the ultimate goal.
Isn't that the case for any team?

Unread 12-02-2020, 02:48 PM
Sparky***

Unread 12-02-2020, 02:48 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
2-3 years tbh. If there's no significant improvement this time next season (in among the top 4, fewer glaringly awful performances) then there may be an issue. As it stands, we went into this season £#%&!ed from the outset given the options in midfield and attack, were further hamstrung by injuries and have been just getting by. I reckoned an 8th place finish at the start of the season based on the squad, reckon that'll be about right, unless Bruno and Ighalo give everyone a boost.
You think it's "about right" that we're below Sheffield Utd in the table?

Unread 12-02-2020, 02:49 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
You think it's "about right" that we're below Sheffield Utd in the table?
Give it 3 years pal.

Unread 12-02-2020, 02:50 PM
shenwen

Quote:
Issues before this season imo.

LVG's first season we lost to Swansea home and away, Leicester away (when they were shite), and Southampton and West Brom at home. Then you look at draws at Sunderland, Burnley, West Brom, Villa, Stoke and Hull.

His second season we lost to Swansea, Bournemouth, Sunderland, West Brom, West Ham and Stoke away; and we lost to Norwich and Southampton at home.

Mourinho's first season we only lost 5 games all season, the worst one being away to Watford. But we drew at home against Burnley, Stoke, Hull, Bournemouth, West Brom and Swansea, only scoring four goals in total across those 6 games.

Mourinho's second season we lost 7 games and finished 2nd, West Brom at home and Huddersfield, Newcastle and Brighton away being the worst of the defeats that season. We drew against Burnley and Southampton at home. That has been our best season since Fergie retired, but the football was absolute dross and then everything went to shit in typical Mourinho style.

Not going to bother with last season as it was an absolute mess.

We've dropped points against the 'shitter' teams at home for years. We're dropping more at the moment, but imo the league is more competitive now that it has ever been, and our squad is the weakest it's been in decades.

Not sure how putting the mess the clubs in squarely on the board and not the manager is good PR for the board
Don’t disagree. Seemed though that Dunk was suggesting we’ve been doing alright under ole until recently and if it wasn’t for injuries and fatigue we’d be in a better state that we are now.

The arrival of two new signings and players coming back from injury should stop that line of reasoning anyway, although I’m sure it won’t be long before it turns into “what do you expect from some China reject and some Portuguese that no one else wants to sign?”

Unread 12-02-2020, 02:54 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Give it 3 years pal.
These #@&%!s were dead against Mou binning off Pogba, Martial and Shaw in 2018.

Now getting rid of players with a bad attitude is seen as some virtue by these self same #@&%!s.

Meanwhile Pogba has taken the season off, Shaw is one cheesecake away from oblivion and surprise surprise - Martial, number 9 Martial, Martial who sulked for half a season because Mou gave the number 9 to an actual number 9, can't actually play as a number 9!

Extraordinary.

Unread 12-02-2020, 02:54 PM
Patty_b

Quote:
Was Rashford playing wing back when he scored 2 against Liverpool?
Rashford Under LVG:

Played: 11 - Scored 5

Rashford Under Mourinho (Full seasons):

Played: 67 - Scored 12

Rashford Under Ole this season:

Played: 22 - Scored 14

Quote:
More forward thinking but less goals? Riigghhhhhtttt.
Yes.

Using your logic I assume you believe that we are playing more defensively under Ole than we did under Mourinho.

More attacking approach doesn't automatically mean more goals, else every team in the League would play with 5 upfront

Quote:
Heaven forbid Rashford gets run into the ground and... I dont know... gets injured for the season. That would be awful.
Didn't he have to play through an ankle injury last season after being run into the ground by Mourinho? The only difference is, is that under Mourinho he was chasing wingbacks instead of scoring goals.

Quote:
These #@&%!s were dead against Mou binning off Pogba, Martial and Shaw in 2018.

Now getting rid of players with a bad attitude is seen as some virtue by these self same #@&%!s.

Meanwhile Pogba has taken the season off, Shaw is one cheesecake away from oblivion and surprise surprise - Martial, number 9 Martial, Martial who sulked for half a season because Mou gave the number 9 to an actual number 9, can't actually play as a number 9!

Extraordinary.
Which #@&%!s?

Wasn't against getting rid of any of those players, and was indifferent about Mourinho being sacked*

*Because even though he was a miserable negative little troll, the club is run horribly and I believed that sacking the manager wouldn't make the slightest bit of £#%&!ing difference in the long run. And now here we are.

Unread 12-02-2020, 02:57 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Rashford Under LVG:

Played: 11 - Scored 5

Rashford Under Mourinho (Full seasons):

Played: 67 - Scored 12

Rashford Under Ole this season:

Played: 22 - Scored 14

Yes.

Using your logic I assume you believe that we are playing more defensively under Ole than we did under Mourinho.

More attacking approach doesn't automatically mean more goals, else every team in the League would play with 5 upfront

Didn't he have to play through an ankle injury last season after being run into the ground by Mourinho? The only difference is, is that under Mourinho he was chasing wingbacks instead of scoring goals.
Hmm... it's almost like he's improving as he gets older. This is unheard of.

Unread 12-02-2020, 02:59 PM
Patty_b

Quote:
Hmm... it's almost like he's improving as he gets older. This is unheard of.
Under LVG = just under 1 every 2 games

Under Mourinho = Just over 1 every 5 games

He was younger under Van Gaal in case you werent aware

Unread 12-02-2020, 03:04 PM
windy waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
Don’t disagree. Seemed though that Dunk was suggesting we’ve been doing alright under ole until recently and if it wasn’t for injuries and fatigue we’d be in a better state that we are now.

The arrival of two new signings and players coming back from injury should stop that line of reasoning anyway, although I’m sure it won’t be long before it turns into “what do you expect from some China reject and some Portuguese that no one else wants to sign?

Utd99 already has this saved on his clipboard...

Unread 12-02-2020, 03:08 PM
ScarFace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vedder
I think Ole is doing a decent job with what he’s got tbh.

I'd say he's doing a decent job for a guy who has no right to be managing a club the size of United.

Unread 12-02-2020, 03:09 PM
dunk

Quote:
Isn't that the case for any team?
Certainly isn't for Mourinho.
Closed Thread