United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 02-07-2010, 10:26 AM
Sparky***

Default *OFFICIAL* World Cup 2010 (QUARTER FINALS match day 1) thread - teams, links and BANTER!

Holland v Brazil
Quarter Final
Venue: Port Elizabeth
Friday, 2 July 2010
Kick-off: 1500 BST
Live on ITV

Uruguay v Ghana
Quarter Final
Venue: Soccer City, Johannesburg
Friday, 2 July 2010
Kick-off: 19:30 BST
Live on ITV

Unread 02-07-2010, 10:28 AM
Lok

Default Re: *OFFICIAL* World Cup 2010 (QUARTER FINALS match day 1) thread - teams, links and BANTER!

I wish the kick off times were the other way round.

Unread 02-07-2010, 10:31 AM
Switching Off

Default Re: *OFFICIAL* World Cup 2010 (QUARTER FINALS match day 1) thread - teams, links and BANTER!

Me too, FIFA should have discretion to alter them. Saying that, they probably thought it would be England v France tonight

Unread 02-07-2010, 10:40 AM
Zorg

Come on Melchester.

*couldn't find any pictures of Vernon Eliot

Unread 02-07-2010, 10:56 AM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lok
I wish the kick off times were the other way round.
A very good chance, on past form, that the evening kick off might actually turn out to be the better game

Unread 02-07-2010, 10:57 AM
Sloane

im glad the times are as they are. thanks sepp

Unread 02-07-2010, 10:58 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
A very good chance, on past form, that the evening kick off might actually turn out to be the better game
That's what I reckon/am hoping. Ghana have been good to watch, in the main, mistakes and wastefulness included. Uruguay have been excellent. Been far too long since they won a World Cup

Unread 02-07-2010, 11:05 AM
red in cumbria

Yup - just imagine "our" Diego with his hands on the trophy

Unread 02-07-2010, 11:14 AM
Baron

Miserable @#%&! in charge of the Dutch....

Spoiler:
click to showhide
Quote:

Netherlands coach Bert van Marwijk has warned that Friday's World Cup quarter-final against Brazil might not be the feast of football some expect.
The last-eight clash in Port Elizabeth brings together two nations famed for a free-flowing, attacking style of play.
But Van Marwijk insists the days of the Dutch Total Football against Brazil's traditional "samba" style are over.
"It was a long time ago, Total Football - if you play like that now it's very hard to win the Cup," said Van Marwijk.
"(The Netherlands') Total Football was back in 1974. We could play football very well for 20 or 30 years. It was Total Football, and I also remember Brazil's samba football.
TIM VICKERY'S BLOG
Brazil versus the Netherlands has given us some wonderful World Cup memories

"But sport changes and football changes also. It has to do with the fact everybody is getting fitter, better organised."
Even in the era of Total Football - where outfield players interchanged and were able to operate in any position as the situation dictated - the Netherlands did not win a World Cup, their best achievement at an international tournament being their 1988 European Championship triumph.
And Van Marwijk makes few apologies for curbing the Netherlands' traditional attacking philosophy, having vowed from the start of his reign that he would make the team more pragmatic.
The Dutchman took over from Marco van Basten following the Netherlands' quarter-final loss to Russia at Euro 2000, and commented that that side "gave away too many chances".

1994 - Branco free-kick sinks Netherlands

On Friday, he added: "I said when I started that I wanted to teach the team to defend."
Brazil boss Dunga, too, has attempted to rein in his side's traditional instincts to attack in numbers, angering many critics at home with an equally pragmatic style.
His selection of the likes of Gilberto Silva and Felipe Melo - two more defensive players - in the centre of midfield, and his insistence the team defends as a whole from front to back without the ball has been labelled as "anti-football" in some sections of the Brazilian media.
However, he has steadfastly stuck to his guns, insisting: "We don't live on talent. We live on results."
Results support his philosophy, with Dunga having led Brazil to the 2007 Copa America and 2009 Confederations Cup leading up to the World Cup.
They are now unbeaten in South Africa and are many people's tip to not only dispatch the Netherlands but also emerge as outright winners of the Cup.

Highlights - Brazil 3-0 Chile

Dunga, despite the more responsible approach of both sides, is still predicting an entertaining encounter on Friday.
"They are always pretty matches," said the 46-year-old. "The teams always try to play. The players have quality, they do what we all like to see, try to dribble, take chances, use their creativity.
"They always go for the goal and for the victory. When two teams play like that the show is good."
However, Dunga did warn that "a lot of it has to do with the way the Netherlands play. If 20 players stay in one half it's going to be more difficult to score".
Dunga has, however, taken exception to Dutch legend Johan Cruyff's claims this week that he "would never pay for a ticket to watch the matches of this Brazilian team. Where is the Brazilian magic?".
"Without doubt I would pay (to see Brazil)," replied Dunga at a news conference on Thursday. "I like to see these games, as the players are very technically gifted.
"(Cruyff) must get free tickets from Fifa anyway, so he doesn't pay. He can see the matches he likes.
"We always want to play a more open game because that's more beautiful."

Highlights - Netherlands 2-1 Slovakia

Brazil go into the match with something of a selection dilemma, with Elano ruled out with an ankle injury, Melo (ankle) and Julio Baptista (knee) doubtful and Ramires suspended.
The Netherlands, on the other hand, have a fully-fit squad from which to choose their XI after forward Rafael van der Vaart returned to training after a two-day absence with a calf injury.
And Van Marwijk is confident his side, who have won all four of their games in South Africa, can upset the odds and beat the samba boys.
"Brazil are favourites for the World Cup, but we've proven we can also beat this type of opponent," he said. "I am fully confident of that.
"My team are absolutely ready, you can sense their excitement. They know they are facing an important match and are fully focused.

The drama of the World Cup so far

"We're not afraid of them. We know Brazil are a good strong team with a number of weapons like speed and turning around a game, but I know we can win this match."
Dunga, unsurprisingly, is equally confident.
"Brazil doesn't depend on just a small group of players, but a whole collective," he said. "The entire team is important.
"If they all play up to expectations, we're going to get the results we're looking for."

click to showhide

Unread 02-07-2010, 11:15 AM
dunk

'Scousebuster Lifts World Cup'

Unread 02-07-2010, 11:30 AM
Sloppy

This game was quality.

Unread 02-07-2010, 01:44 PM
Shegger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloppy
Bloody hell, it's Ed De Goey and his pushbroom tache!

Unread 02-07-2010, 01:51 PM
Sloppy

Unread 02-07-2010, 01:56 PM
Shegger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloppy
Holland's starting lineup having the numbers 1-11, one for the OCD Fredsters like myself

Unread 02-07-2010, 02:00 PM
dunk

Thumbs up Re: *OFFICIAL* World Cup 2010 (QUARTER FINALS match day 1) thread - teams, links and BANTER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shegger
Holland's starting lineup having the numbers 1-11, one for the OCD Fredsters like myself
Must be £#%&!ing ages since that happened in a tournament or in a league.

Unread 02-07-2010, 02:03 PM
Lok

TBF, there's only one player who isn't 1-11.

Unread 02-07-2010, 02:06 PM
toseeunited

Thumbs up Re: *OFFICIAL* World Cup 2010 (QUARTER FINALS match day 1) thread - teams, links and BANTER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lok
TBF, there's only one player who isn't 1-11.
yep - and that's only cos elano is injured

Unread 02-07-2010, 02:19 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Must be £#%&!ing ages since that happened in a tournament or in a league.
Happened in Holland's last game, I believe.

Unread 02-07-2010, 02:21 PM
Switching Off

Didnt somebody point it out for Brazil last week aswell?

Unread 02-07-2010, 02:52 PM
Speckled Sod

Drury...mute button.
Closed Thread