United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 19-04-2009, 09:34 PM
BarryX

Default The line up in the semi final replay '99.

was pretty £#%&!ing strong:

Schmeical, Nev G, Stam, Johnsen, Nev P, Becks, Keane, Butt, Blomqvist, Ole, Teddy (and not forgetting a super sub appearence from Ryan Giggs, along with Scholes and Yorke).

The backbone of the team that won the treble played that day.

Not complaining about today's team selection as I wanted the twins, and Foster, to start (nearly always do ). However it got me thinking, does Fergie really not care that much today about winning, or has he put the FA Cup (and therefore a treble) way down on his list of priorities ? Was it just a bonus for him and nothing more?

Very strange indeed when you compare the team he sent out today compared to the team we sent out in 99.

Unread 19-04-2009, 09:39 PM
dunk

Hmmm, he seems quite happy....

Quote:
Fergie rues penalty decision
United boss wonders if Moyes' comments influenced referee

Last updated: 19th April 2009
Sir Alex Ferguson fury rage angry Everton v Manchester United FA Cup semi-final

Ferguson: Disappointed by decision

I'm not saying that for certain. I've no idea if it affected the decision, but you never know. It may have. It can prey on a referee's mind.

Sir Alex Ferguson queried if a dig from David Moyes played on referee Mike Riley's mind after Manchester United lost to Everton on penalties in the FA Cup semi-finals.

United boss Ferguson protested furiously on the touchline after his team were denied a penalty midway through the second half of the 0-0 draw at Wembley.

Danny Welbeck went to ground following a challenge by Phil Jagielka after the young attacker had nudged the ball past Everton keeper Tim Howard.

Ferguson felt the decision went against his team and wondered if Everton boss Moyes' comments in the build-up to the encounter had an influence on Riley.

When told Riley was a United supporter by reporters ahead of the game Moyes had dodged the issue, saying: "If that's true why don't you ask the FA?"
Mistake

Ferguson believes it could have been a factor, commenting: "I think it might have been.

"I'm not saying that for certain. I've no idea if it affected the decision, but you never know. It may have. It can prey on a referee's mind.

"I've seen the video and it looks a penalty kick, but in the importance of the game the referee probably has to be dead sure.

"Why would he (Welbeck) go down when he had the goalkeeper stranded out of his goal? It was a major decision and unfortunately it has gone against us. Nothing you can do about it. We have to move on now.

"When he (Riley) sees it he'll probably realise he's made a mistake, but I can't say that's the reason for us losing."

Ferguson fielded a weakened team for the game after leaving the likes of Cristiano Ronaldo, Wayne Rooney and Michael Carrick back in Manchester.

Bold decision

Substitutes Paul Scholes, Dimitar Berbatov and Patrice Evra were due to start, but Ferguson changed his mind when he saw the state of the Wembley pitch.

He said: "When I saw the pitch yesterday (in the Chelsea v Arsenal semi) what I didn't want was to go into extra-time with my strongest squad.

"Yesterday it looked spongy and dead and difficult to move the ball quickly around it. They've got all these lights around the perimeter to help the growth and the standard of the soil. But it looks dead to me.

"So we had to go with the bold decision of playing the younger ones. After all our club is built on giving young players opportunities and they didn't disappoint.

"Once we made our mind up I was quite enthusiastic about it. It was the right thing to do. It was good for them."
If a little rueful...

Unread 19-04-2009, 09:45 PM
BarryX

just read that too - in essence it confirms what we allready know (that the FA Cup is the least important to him/us as a club and therefore the treble/all 5 whateverthe£#%&!, weren't worth chasing with everything we have got). All good experience for a fantastic crop of young players, surely the finest in the world for their average ages. Could have done with Ronaldo making a 99 Giggs type cameo, if you ask me though..

Unread 19-04-2009, 09:52 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teville
just read that too - in essence it confirms what we allready know (that the FA Cup is the least important to him/us as a club and therefore the treble/all 5 whateverthe£#%&!, weren't worth chasing with everything we have got). All good experience for a fantastic crop of young players, surely the finest in the world for their average ages. Could have done with Ronaldo making a 99 Giggs type cameo, if you ask me though..
It annoys me though. As mad as every one thinks I am, the FA Cup means more to me than the Champions League, so it disappoints me when we do got all out for it .

True about Ronaldo btw, I expected him on the bench at least, the real thing that £#%&!ed us though is Rooney's propensity for getting injured. He would've played today, I'm sure of it. But we need another option, it may be we have to wait 2 years for Macheda and Welbeck to be those players, or maybe we have to buy someone, but it is fast becoming clear that Rooney could end up being this generations Robson, injured when it matters, missed massively when injured, which tends to be when it matters. Witness the end of last season.

Unread 19-04-2009, 10:00 PM
The Watcher

If we still had our 7 point lead, I think our strongest possible team would have started. But we can't afford to drop any points in the League, so I think it was the right choice by the Boss.

Really enjoyed watching the twins and it was great to see Anderson play 120 minutes without visibly tiring. Welbeck put in a decent shift on the wing and Macheda looked comfortable at that level. Just wish Berbatov hadn't £#%&!ed up his penalty

The kids did well, very proud of them.

Unread 19-04-2009, 10:02 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
It annoys me though. As mad as every one thinks I am, the FA Cup means more to me than the Champions League, so it disappoints me when we do got all out for it .

True about Ronaldo btw, I expected him on the bench at least, the real thing that £#%&!ed us though is Rooney's propensity for getting injured. He would've played today, I'm sure of it. But we need another option, it may be we have to wait 2 years for Macheda and Welbeck to be those players, or maybe we have to buy someone, but it is fast becoming clear that Rooney could end up being this generations Robson, injured when it matters, missed massively when injured, which tends to be when it matters. Witness the end of last season.

You're right about rooney. For a young man he gets injured an awful lot. Frustrating as £#%&!, he seems to be so unlucky.

Unread 19-04-2009, 10:08 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
You're right about rooney. For a young man he gets injured an awful lot. Frustrating as £#%&!, he seems to be so unlucky.
It always seems to be when he's getting going or when we need him most, or when England need him most as well. Earlier this season he was £#%&!ing unplayable, pulled his hamstring or summat, not reached those heights since. It's infuriating and troubling.

His hip injury about this time last season almost cost us the lot, did cost us the Chelsea game at Stamford Bridge and nullified us against Barca and to a lesser extent in the CL Final. Breaks his foot last season when we had no strikers, or just before a WC, or in a Euro Championship 1/4 Final. He's like Robbo and his £#%&!ing shoulder.

Not sure what you do about it though, most of the time it's as a result of how he plays the game, which you don't want to change, really.

Unread 19-04-2009, 10:19 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
It always seems to be when he's getting going or when we need him most, or when England need him most as well. Earlier this season he was £#%&!ing unplayable, pulled his hamstring or summat, not reached those heights since. It's infuriating and troubling.

His hip injury about this time last season almost cost us the lot, did cost us the Chelsea game at Stamford Bridge and nullified us against Barca and to a lesser extent in the CL Final. Breaks his foot last season when we had no strikers, or just before a WC, or in a Euro Championship 1/4 Final. He's like Robbo and his £#%&!ing shoulder.

Not sure what you do about it though, most of the time it's as a result of how he plays the game, which you don't want to change, really.

Take the one the other night against for example. He was charging with the ball and gets fouled, quite blatantly, from behind resulting in what could have been a very serious injury. As it was he hobbled on and carried on but that's just his luck.

Unread 19-04-2009, 10:22 PM
dunk

Quote:
Take the one the other night against for example. He was charging with the ball and gets fouled, quite blatantly, from behind resulting in what could have been a very serious injury. As it was he hobbled on and carried on but that's just his luck.
Maybe it's luck. But Ronaldo is challenged in that manner far more often, he just doesn't break. Ronaldo gets his feet stamped on, trodden on, he gets full on leg break challenges, he got 2 the other night, one just above the knee. Is Ronaldo lucky or just better put together?

Unread 19-04-2009, 10:29 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
Really enjoyed watching the twins and it was great to see Anderson play 120 minutes without visibly tiring.
Yep, big positive. I think the only concern most of us have had about Anderson is his ability to stay fit and maintain his performance level for ninety minutes. He was still very much the dominant midfielder on the pitch right throughout extra time; he really tried to drive us forward during that half hour. Based on the last two matches, I think it's going to be difficult to leave him out from now on.

Unread 19-04-2009, 10:32 PM
Whalefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
I think it's going to be difficult to leave him out from now on.
Oh don't worry, Fergie will find a way or have an excuse ready.

Unread 19-04-2009, 10:53 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish
Oh don't worry, Fergie will find a way or have an excuse ready.

Agreed S/Side, thought he was very good last two games. Doubt he'll play mid week, but should be back next weekend I guess. Lets hope the issues around his conditioning and (at time this season) form have ben dealt with.

Unread 19-04-2009, 10:56 PM
Whalefish

I will be stunned if he starts on Wednesday. 120mins of football today. See, there's the excuse.

Unread 19-04-2009, 11:03 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish
I will be stunned if he starts on Wednesday. 120mins of football today. See, there's the excuse.
I don't see why not. He's done £#%&! all for 13 months. Just playing to the crowd

Seriously though, his return to fitness/form could not have come at a better time. If he plays as he did Wednesday and today for the remainder of the season he will provide energy and cover in the middle of the park that has been sorely missing. If he can add a goal or two and a bit more focus in the final third as well, he could make the season.

The same could be said for Nani, without the return to form and his last 2 performances. If he could just suck it and produce a bit of what he showed in the first half of last season it would make a hell of a difference.

Unread 19-04-2009, 11:07 PM
Tumescent Throb

Anderson didn't play anyone in today. And he didn't have a shot himself either.

But even though he's an ugly little £#%&!er it was still great to see him out there for the full 120 - hopefully a sign of good things to come.

Unread 19-04-2009, 11:11 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
Anderson didn't play anyone in today. And he didn't have a shot himself either.

But even though he's an ugly little £#%&!er it was still great to see him out there for the full 120 - hopefully a sign of good things to come.
He did, Right footed too. Wasn't that far away.

Unread 19-04-2009, 11:11 PM
Ether

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
And he didn't have a shot himself either.
Bang on as ever Throb.

Unread 19-04-2009, 11:18 PM
Red Caz

Quote:
Blame the coaches. The kids were rarely elevated to first team regularity so quickly back in the day. Didn't Rooney debut at 16 and a £#%&! or something? No time for bones to grow fully and players to develop. It'll be a common problem over the years.

Oh and as far as today goes, Ferguson wants to cement it by winning back to back CLs. No question and he might just go all in to do it...

Unread 19-04-2009, 11:20 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Caz
Blame the coaches. The kids were rarely elevated to first team regularity so quickly back in the day. Didn't Rooney debut at 16 and a £#%&! or something? No time for bones to grow fully and players to develop. It'll be a common problem over the years.

Oh and as far as today goes, Ferguson wants to cement it by winning back to back CLs. No question and he might just go all in to do it...
you might have a point there. You look at the likes of theo walcott, michael owen..all in the first team whilst barely old enough to drive a car legally. All injury prone.

Unread 19-04-2009, 11:29 PM
Red Caz

Quote:
you might have a point there. You look at the likes of theo walcott, michael owen..all in the first team whilst barely old enough to drive a car legally. All injury prone.
Of course I have a point . Owen was the first notable example for me, understandably. Wait until the body develops, then judge the player. Too long for the media.
Closed Thread