United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 16-04-2010, 07:13 PM
Argentina

Football Fergie is best ever - Andy Cole

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...ngland&cc=5901

Quote:
With only four games remaining, United head into Saturday's derby against Manchester City four points adrift of league leaders Chelsea, with the title race firmly in the hands of the Blues.

But Cole, who netted 121 times in 275 games under Ferguson, still thinks it is his former boss at Old Trafford who sets the benchmark for domestic managers.

"He is the best. Every now and then he loses his temper but that happens in any line of work,'' Cole said. "He is very fair and you can always sit down and talk with him. He is not dismissive that way.

"The way he produces teams year on year capable of challenging for major honours is fantastic. No doubt he will go down as the best manager Great Britain has ever seen.''

United have slipped up recently, going out of the Champions League to Bayern Munich before losing to Chelsea and it now appears they will finish the season with just the Carling Cup to add to their vast trophy cabinet.

Only last Sunday they had to settle for a point against Blackburn and Cole said: "It is Chelsea's to lose. Losing to Chelsea was a big knock and then to draw against Blackburn was another setback.

"Now we face Manchester City and that is going to be a very tough game. We have to win it and hope Chelsea slip up (against Tottenham).''

Much could depend on Wayne Rooney's fitness, with United fans praying that he has recovered from the ankle injury that kept him out of the dismal 0-0 draw at Ewood Park.

Rooney is favourite to lift the PFA Player of the Year award this season after plundering 34 goals in all competitions, and Cole believes the England striker's ability to finish off the simple chances is what makes him so deadly.

"The good thing with Wayne this season is that he has got lots of tap-ins or goals from eight or 10 yards and those make big things in a season," Cole said.

"His work-rate has always been the same and he has always been a team player but to get into those areas and get more goals it has been absolutely superb.

"He has really stepped up to the plate and with (Cristiano) Ronaldo leaving he has come out and blossomed. He is now showing his full potential.''
Love the way he refers to us as 'we'. Top red

Unread 16-04-2010, 07:14 PM
red in cumbria

Default Re: Fergie is best ever - Andy Cole

The abuse that some of our £#%&!witted "fans" used to give Cole still makes me go

Unread 16-04-2010, 07:15 PM
Grimson

Cole: Fergie is Outstanding.

Unread 16-04-2010, 07:16 PM
Mr_Ed

His name is Andrew...

Unread 16-04-2010, 07:18 PM
Argentina

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
The abuse that some of our £#%&!witted "fans" used to give Cole still makes me go
Lad I live with is a Birmingham fan and he said that when Cole played for them in D1, he could tell he was a touch of class.
He said, just little things Cole would do were appreciated because he was so used to watching shit the rest of the time.

Unread 16-04-2010, 07:23 PM
El Chalten

no mention of Sheringham?

nft.

Unread 16-04-2010, 07:24 PM
wee man

Should have stayed longer. He knows that now.

Unread 16-04-2010, 07:59 PM
les vagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by wee man
Should have stayed longer. He knows that now.
he's been with us 24 years and counting?

Unread 16-04-2010, 08:05 PM
TreeFiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
His name is Andrew...
Sullers?

Unread 16-04-2010, 08:32 PM
wee man

Quote:
Originally Posted by les vagas
he's been with us 24 years and counting?
Now Andrew has gone
But Fergie's still here
You know he's been here 24 years
As the big limousine disappears.......

oh I don't know why he'd leave us
or where he'd wanna go
one day he'll have his reasons
but I just don't wanna know
but for 24 years
we've all loved Fergie (Fergie Fergie, who the £#%&! is Fergie)

Unread 16-04-2010, 08:54 PM
Serenity Now

I've always maintained that Arsene Wenger is the best, but I think Coley makes some good points here. Fair play to him.

Unread 16-04-2010, 08:57 PM
TreeFiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity Now
I've always maintained that Arsene Wenger is the best, but I think Coley makes some good points here. Fair play to him.

Unread 16-04-2010, 08:58 PM
otbarney

Quote:

Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeFiddy
whooshingtons.

Ethers

Fascinating interview. This is particularly insightful.

Quote:
"The good thing with Wayne this season is that he has got lots of tap-ins or goals from eight or 10 yards and those make big things in a season,"
Well said Coley.

Unread 16-04-2010, 09:00 PM
redmike

Cole,Yorke, Sheringham, Ole

Rooney, berbatov, Owen, Macheda

Mmm wonder which strikeforce was better.

Unread 16-04-2010, 09:06 PM
Serenity Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Blazini
Well said Coley.
Yep. He's a good lad is Coley. He needed about 10 chances to score a goal though, which I've always said is why he was never quite good enough to play for England. At the highest level you really need to be clinical in front of goal, like a Lineker or Shearer. Still a top player, mind.

Unread 16-04-2010, 09:11 PM
Camel

Quote:
Yep. He's a good lad is Coley. He needed about 10 chances to score a goal though, which I've always said is why he was never quite good enough to play for England. At the highest level you really need to be clinical in front of goal, like a Lineker or Shearer. Still a top player, mind.

Unread 16-04-2010, 10:28 PM
redmike

Thumbs up Re: Fergie is best ever - Andy Cole

Quote:
Nobody does sarcasm better imo.

Unread 16-04-2010, 10:31 PM
red in cumbria

Reminds me of what Alan Green once said about Gaz Nev about a decade ago:

"He has been great for United, but can he carry that up to the next level?"

Of course, by "next level" he meant the England team. In his world, England > United
Closed Thread