United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 23-02-2017, 04:11 PM
Cream

Football Article: Wayne Rooney legacy = failure.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...na-legacy-done

Wayne Rooney: China or no China, as far as his legacy is concerned, he is done
Jonathan Wilson (Evertonian)

Quote:
Perhaps Rooney could become a legend in Jiangsu or Tianjin and enjoy a late-career flourish. Perhaps he could thrive in unfamiliar conditions, freed from the constraints of routine and expectation. But more likely a move to China would simply be retirement deferred, a means of extending his earning power. That’s a matter for him and his financial advisors; in terms of legacy and how we will remember him, Rooney is essentially done.

All-time top scorer for club and country, winner of five league titles and a Champions League, his career will perhaps be judged more kindly by history than at the present. But for anybody who witnessed the thrill of seeing him burst through defences at Euro 2004, there will always be a sense that he has not quite lived up to his extraordinary early promise.

And all the trophies in China aren’t going to change that.

Unread 23-02-2017, 04:14 PM
Jethro

Unread 23-02-2017, 04:15 PM
TripDownMiseryLane

Bobby Charlton legacy = failure

The tossers who write this shit (didn't read it by the way)

Unread 23-02-2017, 04:15 PM
Switching Off

Will remember him for swearing down a camera at children, getting knocked out in his kitchen and telling England fans to £#%&! off.

Ledge.

Unread 23-02-2017, 04:20 PM
Cream

Quote:
Premier League (5): 2006–07, 2007–08, 2008–09, 2010–11, 2012–13
FA Cup (1): 2015–16
Football League Cup (2): 2005–06, 2009–10
FA Community Shield (4): 2007, 2010, 2011, 2016
UEFA Champions League (1): 2007–08
FIFA Club World Cup (1): 2008
Thanks for nothing.

Unread 23-02-2017, 04:21 PM
doudou

He doesn't really say his legacy is failure:
"... his career will perhaps be judged more kindly by history than at the present. But for anybody who witnessed the thrill of seeing him burst through defences at Euro 2004, there will always be a sense that he has not quite lived up to his extraordinary early promise."

all of which I agree with.

BTW Jonathan Wilson isn't an Evertonian, he's a Mackem

Unread 23-02-2017, 04:22 PM
Ethers

Wilson is a Sunderland fan you berk.

Who the £#%&! is the photo of?

Unread 23-02-2017, 04:23 PM
believe

Yep, total failure. Will be like he never even played for us once he leaves.

Unread 23-02-2017, 04:24 PM
hopkins

does he deserve a statue?

Unread 23-02-2017, 04:26 PM
doudou

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopkins
does he deserve a statue?

Unread 23-02-2017, 04:28 PM
Throw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers

Paul Wilson

Unread 23-02-2017, 04:29 PM
TripDownMiseryLane

Quote:
Originally Posted by doudou
He doesn't really say his legacy is failure:
"... his career will perhaps be judged more kindly by history than at the present. But for anybody who witnessed the thrill of seeing him burst through defences at Euro 2004, there will always be a sense that he has not quite lived up to his extraordinary early promise."

all of which I agree with.

BTW Jonathan Wilson isn't an Evertonian, he's a Mackem
What, more kindly then his medal haul and his records. come now DD, you are being had.

Unread 23-02-2017, 04:35 PM
waynes ear's

What an absolute all the tea of a thread

Unread 23-02-2017, 04:43 PM
Rorschach

The thing with Rooney is, for all he has achieved, he promised so much more.

He is a shadow of his former self at 31 and in truth, has been for quite some time. The odd flashes of quality really stand out as exceptions now, rather than the rule.

There were times I genuinely liked our 'spud faced nipper' but even though those days are long, long gone, I would never say he was a failure.

Mourinho was spot on in closing off his semi-retirement move into midfield and has been nothing but respectful in how he talks about Rooney publically but he has slowly, quietly and effectly moved him into the departure lounge.

Should he go to China, he will become richer than rich & I don't have an issue with any of that. Thanks & good luck to him - but it is time to go.

Unread 23-02-2017, 04:44 PM
dragflick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throw
Paul Wilson
ffs

Unread 23-02-2017, 04:51 PM
TripDownMiseryLane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach
The thing with Rooney is, for all he has achieved, he promised so much more.

He is a shadow of his former self at 31 and in truth, has been for quite some time. The odd flashes of quality really stand out as exceptions now, rather than the rule.

There were times I genuinely liked our 'spud faced nipper' but even though those days are long, long gone, I would never say he was a failure.

Mourinho was spot on in closing off his semi-retirement move into midfield and has been nothing but respectful in how he talks about Rooney publically but he has slowly, quietly and effectly moved him into the departure lounge.

Should he go to China, he will become richer than rich & I don't have an issue with any of that. Thanks & good luck to him - but it is time to go.
He already is, pal. The shit about he could have been so much more more than who? more than what? To judge rooney on his last days is just....

Unread 23-02-2017, 04:56 PM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throw
Paul Wilson
Classic Reem.

Unread 23-02-2017, 04:59 PM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers

Not quite Keano is he. More like Bellers if he had an even tougher paper round.

Unread 23-02-2017, 05:03 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream

:wheeze:

Unread 23-02-2017, 05:05 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron

Not quite Keano is he. More like Bellers if he had an even tougher paper round.
£#%&! me, I was Tom Hardy two days ago
Closed Thread