United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 24-09-2016, 08:36 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Boy Ronaldo!
In which I said many times. Mou likes him.
Two starts from six league games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffers
Van gaal didnt sign herrera, nor did he give him a fair crack.
One of my big disappointments with LvG last season was starting Herrera at West Ham.

He'd been out of form for six months near enough. No idea why he had faith in him for the most important game of the season.

Unread 24-09-2016, 09:07 PM
Tumescent Throb

it's weird how he was such a cheating little @#%&! under lvg but seems to have mostly cut that out under a bloke who used to be the ultimate cynical manager

fair play to both and hopefully we'll see if he's good enough to nail down a place with a run of PL games now.

Unread 24-09-2016, 09:26 PM
Chris Quayd

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Herrera was actually pretty decent in the challenge today; won the ball quite a lot during the first half with tackles and interceptions. He was also talking a lot, which is something we don't see nearly enough of with United players.

He's too positionally undisciplined to play as the deepest player in midfield though. Far too often vacates his area and leaves huge gaps, which I worried Leicester were close to exploiting. Get Carrick or Blind in there before Liverpool away and we could be on to something.
Agree with this, it's not Herrera's fault as its not his idea position but in the first half we were still struggling for control in the middle until we got the first goal.

I'm hoping Mou has learned by now that Herrera is a better option than Fellaini and hopefully after today that we still need someone to anchor the midfield to allow Herrera/Pogba/Mata to play further up. I can't look beyond Carrick for the role and maybe at a push Blind.

Unread 24-09-2016, 09:54 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
it's weird how he was such a cheating little @#%&! under lvg but seems to have mostly cut that out under a bloke who used to be the ultimate cynical manager

fair play to both and hopefully we'll see if he's good enough to nail down a place with a run of PL games now.
Dunno, pal. He deffo had a moment in a recent game of the old bullshit facial injury from a stray arm. Forget who against.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Quayd
Agree with this, it's not Herrera's fault as its not his idea position but in the first half we were still struggling for control in the middle until we got the first goal.

I'm hoping Mou has learned by now that Herrera is a better option than Fellaini and hopefully after today that we still need someone to anchor the midfield to allow Herrera/Pogba/Mata to play further up. I can't look beyond Carrick for the role and maybe at a push Blind.
Yeah, obviously Carrick-Pogba-Herrera would mean someone further up the field dropping out and maybe Mata going wider again. For me that's worth a try. Herrera-Mata-Valencia worked well in the triangles on the right side during LvG's purple patch. Martial or Rashford maybe off the left.

Easy to forget Mkhi as an option. So many choices now

Unread 24-09-2016, 11:02 PM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
Shaw, securing De Gea long-term, blooding Rashford.

Winning the first trophy for United post-Fergie. Top Reds are forever thankful to the Big Man.
Unread 25-09-2016, 12:33 AM
utd99

Quote:
Yeah, obviously Carrick-Pogba-Herrera would mean someone further up the field dropping out and maybe Mata going wider again. For me that's worth a try. Herrera-Mata-Valencia worked well in the triangles on the right side during LvG's purple patch. Martial or Rashford maybe off the left.

Easy to forget Mkhi as an option. So many choices now
The third man runs off the ball were the highlight for me. Mata directed that whole move for his goal and didn't even look when he made the run; he knew where that ball was going. What a game he had.

Although they had clearly looked at the corner for Rashford's goal in training, the intelligence and execution to pull it off was both simple and £#%&!ing brilliant. Herrera pointing it out from forty yards away, and Mata's acting. Love it.

Unread 25-09-2016, 04:57 AM
Baron

Passing forward & not sideways / backwards is what we're about. No retreat (JCVD yeah) & be progressive - Louis may have 'said' it (whilst shitting out horribly) but forward. Purpose. Intent. A bit more pace in pinging it (credit Louis) but it was delightful in that 20-40' period. Lovely, off the cuff angles & attacking... get Carrick in front of the back four & Ander / P-Dubz ahead, box to box between them with an understanding, will be liquid.

I see elements of the Van Gaal legacy, just no confidence & a front foot attitude.

Go 4-3-3 Jose.... we'll take sides apart.

Unread 25-09-2016, 07:06 AM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
Yep.

Also had the balls to get rid of those frauds Di Maria and Falcao after just a season.
He also signed them. Along with Mephis, Valdes, Bastian, Darmian, Rojo and Schneiderlin. And failed to cull fellaini, young, Jones and several others while getting rid of a number of arguably better players.

So whatever positive part he played in the current line up (and it can't be ignored), he has also contributed to a lot of the negative aspects,

Hopefully Jose will help make amends.

Unread 25-09-2016, 09:13 AM
Whip Hubley

Thumbs up

DDG
Tony
Bailly
Smalling
Shaw

Blind/Carrick
Herreroh
Pogba

Martial/Rashers
Ibra (Rooney)
Mickey T/Mata

Surely the best team hence forth....

Unread 25-09-2016, 12:17 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip Hubley
DDG
Tony
Bailly
Smalling
Shaw

Blind/Carrick
Herreroh
Pogba

Martial/Rashers
Ibra (Rooney)
Mickey T/Mata

Surely the best team hence forth....
Keep Mata away from wing duty. He should be competing for the attacking midfield role, pace and mobility flanking Zlatan was a good shape for us. Pulled defenders out of position and created the space for Mata to be effective.

Miki/Lingard for the right wing, Lingard might not convince everyone but he has excellent movement, good energy and is an intelligent player.

Unread 25-09-2016, 12:56 PM
dunk

DdG
Valencia
Smalling
Bailly
Shaw
Carrick
Herrera
Pogba
Mkhitaryan
Martial
Rashford

One day

Unread 25-09-2016, 05:03 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron
Passing forward & not sideways / backwards is what we're about. No retreat (JCVD yeah) & be progressive - Louis may have 'said' it (whilst shitting out horribly) but forward. Purpose. Intent. A bit more pace in pinging it (credit Louis) but it was delightful in that 20-40' period. Lovely, off the cuff angles & attacking... get Carrick in front of the back four & Ander / P-Dubz ahead, box to box between them with an understanding, will be liquid.

I see elements of the Van Gaal legacy, just no confidence & a front foot attitude.

Go 4-3-3 Jose.... we'll take sides apart.
In terms of the teams play, it's not going to reflect much of the Van Gaal legacy. Many things different. And it's certainly not more of a front foot attitude, otherwise we wouldn't be statistically the most static team in the league. Our pressing organisation under LvG had much more intent. Hate to say it again as I'm accused of being condescending or patronising, but ultimately in English football intent is usually judged on the speed of your counter attacks. This suits Mourinho perfectly.

More important than systems is having the right players to perform what you want. It was always a problem for Van Gaal, not least because when Rooney was stinking up the show in the first half of last season it was often claimed that the system was holding him back, rather than the other way around.

United currently still look very fragile to me. Hopefully we are abandoning the Pogba-Fellaini midfield and Rooney is now officially being eased out, but that game against Liverpool in a few weeks will tell us more. They look the type of side that will cause us huge problems.

Unread 25-09-2016, 05:09 PM
Billy Redface

Quote:
In terms of the teams play, it's not going to reflect much of the Van Gaal legacy. Many things different. And it's certainly not more of a front foot attitude, otherwise we wouldn't be statistically the most static team in the league. Our pressing organisation under LvG had much more intent. Hate to say it again as I'm accused of being condescending or patronising, but ultimately in English football intent is usually judged on the speed of your counter attacks. This suits Mourinho perfectly.

More important than systems is having the right players to perform what you want. It was always a problem for Van Gaal, not least because when Rooney was stinking up the show in the first half of last season it was often claimed that the system was holding him back, rather than the other way around.

United currently still look very fragile to me. Hopefully we are abandoning the Pogba-Fellaini midfield and Rooney is now officially being eased out, but that game against Liverpool in a few weeks will tell us more. They look the type of side that will cause us huge problems.
Yesterday was great, but it wasn't without its moments. Leicester caused problems, and not just once the game was won. Mourinho said we started well, but we didn't. We looked anxious and Leicester had edged it up til the first goal. Obviously, once we scored, we were scintillating and showed just what we can do when we get it right.

That Liverpool game will be a huge test. Dealing with their high press will be a huge challenge for our backline. We get overawed at Anfield at the best of times.

Cross that bridge as and when ofcourse. If somebody has said pre game yesterday that we'd win 4-1, I'd have bitten their hand off.

Unread 25-09-2016, 05:40 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Redface
Yesterday was great, but it wasn't without its moments. Leicester caused problems, and not just once the game was won. Mourinho said we started well, but we didn't. We looked anxious and Leicester had edged it up til the first goal. Obviously, once we scored, we were scintillating and showed just what we can do when we get it right.

That Liverpool game will be a huge test. Dealing with their high press will be a huge challenge for our backline. We get overawed at Anfield at the best of times.

Cross that bridge as and when ofcourse. If somebody has said pre game yesterday that we'd win 4-1, I'd have bitten their hand off.
Well, Richard, goals change games. We had looked highly nervy before that.

Endless matches last season of dominance, intent (in my opinion ) and just missing that quality in the final third to get that early goal and the game and confidence level changes. Against smaller teams in tight spaces we found it difficult.

Looks like we will be miles better in set pieces this season, which is huge. For all the talk about style and players, deficiencies at set pieces cost us as much as anything last year. PSV, Wolfsburg, Newcastle, Sunderland, Leicester, and of course West Ham.

Yes a post Rooney era is interesting and people will inevitably talk about selections and tactics. But a basic headed goal from a corner changed the game yesterday. Sometimes it's that simple.

Unread 25-09-2016, 05:44 PM
£#%&! KFC

Quote:

Liverpool's defence is £#%&!ing gash...we will cause them problems don't worry about that

Unread 25-09-2016, 06:12 PM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Well, Richard, goals change games. We had looked highly nervy before that.

Endless matches last season of dominance, intent (in my opinion ) and just missing that quality in the final third to get that early goal and the game and confidence level changes. Against smaller teams in tight spaces we found it difficult.

Looks like we will be miles better in set pieces this season, which is huge. For all the talk about style and players, deficiencies at set pieces cost us as much as anything last year. PSV, Wolfsburg, Newcastle, Sunderland, Leicester, and of course West Ham.

Yes a post Rooney era is interesting and people will inevitably talk about selections and tactics. But a basic headed goal from a corner changed the game yesterday. Sometimes it's that simple.
Exactly. It's simple, but a fact. Look at Leicester. Foundation built on solid defending, compelling £#%&!ed at three corners and it ruined their whole game plan and left them on the end of a drubbing.

We were aggressive and quick-thinking on set pieces. It was the main difference.

Unread 25-09-2016, 06:14 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by £#%&! KFC
Liverpool's defence is £#%&!ing gash...we will cause them problems don't worry about that
Horrible side to play against. We managed it an Anfield last season but surely we need to tighten up that midfield area. The spaces we leave there and the ponderous way we compete and press in those areas would seem vulnerable to the way they play.

Agree about their defence, but we will need to very well prepared positionally. Suspect Mou will play for a point.

Unread 25-09-2016, 06:17 PM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Horrible side to play against. We managed it an Anfield last season but surely we need to tighten up that midfield area. The spaces we leave there and the ponderous way we compete and press in those areas would seem vulnerable to the way they play.

Agree about their defence, but we will need to very well prepared positionally. Suspect Mou will play for a point.
Not sure if we're set up to play for a point. Unless we change the system or add another body to the CM, it'll be Fellaini or Herrera own their own in a deeper role. Not exactly conducive to sitting back and soaking up pressure.

It'll be a test for us. They're blitzing teams and we need to be ready.

Unread 25-09-2016, 06:21 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Redface
Not sure if we're set up to play for a point. Unless we change the system or add another body to the CM, it'll be Fellaini or Herrera own their own in a deeper role. Not exactly conducive to sitting back and soaking up pressure.

It'll be a test for us. They're blitzing teams and we need to be ready.
I'd be utterly stunned if we went in with Pogba and Herrera in a two. Very pleasantly so, but surprised. It's not the numbers as such, but the lack of defensive awareness. We saw in Rotterdam when United very much did play happy for a point, with a low block and no real press, that they were still exposed by space in front of the back four. Stay as we are for now, but Carrick or Blind should surely come in at Anfield.

Unread 25-09-2016, 06:30 PM
£#%&! KFC

Quote:

he's got a good record there

Carrick has to start defo ...play him as a screen hate to say it but I'd even play Fellaini as well ...we have to flood the midfield then hit them on the counter would sacrifice Hererra and Lingard/Martial
Closed Thread