United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 17-04-2008, 07:27 PM
Tumescent Throb

Thumbs up Antonio Valencia

According to the official site, according to the daily scum, United could be looking at him as a possible summer target.

If so, I am all for it, he is an excellent skillful player and just what we should be looking for - as I've been saying for weeks now. Downing would be another possibility.

Unread 17-04-2008, 07:29 PM
koppas

I was going to post a similar thread earlier.

Been impressed when watching him...but can't see him holding a place down.

Unread 17-04-2008, 07:29 PM
Blagger

yeah, we definately need another winger.

Unread 17-04-2008, 07:33 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by koppas
I was going to post a similar thread earlier.

Been impressed when watching him...but can't see him holding a place down.
squad man.

imagine if you will that Tevez needs a rest, that Nani is injured, that we have 3 games in a week, and that Ronaldo is on fire and needs to concentrate on goalscoring. enter valencia on the flank. jobs a goodun. no need to alter our plans at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blagger
yeah, we definately need another winger.
correct, and well done.

Unread 17-04-2008, 07:33 PM
Mr_Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
According to the official site, according to the daily scum, United could be looking at him as a possible summer target.

If so, I am all for it, he is an excellent skillful player and just what we should be looking for - as I've been saying for weeks now. Downing would be another possibility.
Stuart Downing is not fit to wear the shirt.

Unread 17-04-2008, 07:34 PM
koppas

STEWART Downing is £#%&!ing shit.

Unread 17-04-2008, 07:34 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
Stuart Downing is not fit to wear the shirt.
Remains to be seen. Do you believe he lacks the necessary skill?

Unread 17-04-2008, 07:36 PM
Mr_Ed

Quote:
Remains to be seen. Do you believe he lacks the necessary skill?
Yes it does. I think he possibly lacks the skill, the mentality to be a United player and if he was that good why have none of the other 'big four' gone in for him ??

Give me Nani any day of the week.

Unread 17-04-2008, 07:41 PM
BarryX

I'd go for Ben Arfa...a rough diamond that could be polished and cut by our esteemed coaching staff. Left winger, young, great goal scoring record at youth level (105 times in 220 appearances at France U17 level). didn't impress that much against us, but give him a year or two under Fergie and learning from Ronaldo, Nani and Uncle Ryan, and reckon he'd be great. The French Connection down the left side would be mouth watering..

Unread 17-04-2008, 07:44 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
Yes it does. I think he possibly lacks the skill, the mentality to be a United player and if he was that good why have none of the other 'big four' gone in for him ??

Give me Nani any day of the week.
We already have Nani, though. We need cover for Nani, as well as the alternatives for him we already have - Park & Hargreaves esp.

Downing scores a few goals. In fact, the goal he scored at Anfield this season was a peach. Remember that move that led to Ronaldo controlling Tevez's fired pass on the run and slotting home nonchalantly? It was a bit like that!

Valencia looks a quality player to me anyhoo. Don't know just how good he is or could become, but liked the look of him from back in the WC 2006 qualifiers.

Unread 17-04-2008, 07:47 PM
Ether

Downing is no better than Richardson.

Unread 17-04-2008, 07:49 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teville
I'd go for Ben Arfa...a rough diamond that could be polished and cut by our esteemed coaching staff. Left winger, young, great goal scoring record at youth level (105 times in 220 appearances at France U17 level). didn't impress that much against us, but give him a year or two under Fergie and learning from Ronaldo, Nani and Uncle Ryan, and reckon he'd be great. The French Connection down the left side would be mouth watering..
Yes exactly, this is what I'm talking about.

Makes me laugh when people say this player or that player is shit tbh.

Most reported targets of a club like United are terrific players, whether the stories are genuine or not. The decisions United make are based on what they think a player can develop into under their tutelage. All 3 players mentioned so far would give the squad extra strength immediately as well, of course.

Unread 17-04-2008, 07:50 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ether
Downing is no better than Richardson.
Thanks for that.

Unread 17-04-2008, 07:52 PM
BarryX

Quote:
Yes exactly, this is what I'm talking about.

Makes me laugh when people say this player or that player is shit tbh.

Most reported targets of a club like United are terrific players, whether the stories are genuine or not. The decisions United make are based on what they think a player can develop into under their tutelage. All 3 players mentioned so far would give the squad extra strength immediately as well, of course.
Great word, Mr Throb.

Unread 17-04-2008, 08:04 PM
Ether

Quote:
Thanks for that.
No problem. You can get back to having a £#%&! because he scored a goal a bit like Ronaldo once or something now.

Interesting fact - Rico and Downing have both scored the same number of goals over the past 4 seasons, this despite Downing starting over twice as many games as Richardson

Unread 17-04-2008, 08:07 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
No problem. You can get back to having a £#%&! because he scored a goal a bit like Ronaldo once or something now.

Interesting fact - Rico and Downing have both scored the same number of goals over the past 4 seasons, this despite Downing starting over twice as many games as Richardson
Thanks again. There is no end to your pointlessness tonight.

Unread 17-04-2008, 08:13 PM
Big Barry Fat Baps

Downing is not good enough for United. In fact hes £#%&!ing shit.

Unread 17-04-2008, 08:14 PM
Ether

Quote:
Thanks again. There is no end to your pointlessness tonight.
No problem.

I know someone will appreciate that little stat though

Unread 17-04-2008, 08:27 PM
Rhodzy

He's better than Park.

Unread 17-04-2008, 08:31 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
No problem.

I know someone will appreciate that little stat though
I mentioned the similarity to Ronaldo's goal to demonstrate the fact that Downing does actually have a high level of skill, and the ability to use it on the big stage to full effect.

I would imagine United have looked at him a decided against it, given the signing of the far more spectacular Nani. But I also reckon that the way we've played over the last year or so is a clear indication that more flexible attackers rather than particularly centre forwards are the players we should covet the most.
Closed Thread