Keane v Juventus or Robbo v Barcelona?
Keane v Juve was vintage Robbo imo.

Unread 29-09-2015, 08:56 PM
Crumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92ToBury
Keane v Juventus or Robbo v Barcelona?
Robbo v Barca

By some distance too and Keane's shift v Juve is probably the best performance I have witnessed live.

Unread 29-09-2015, 09:06 PM
dinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
Keane v Juve was vintage Robbo imo.
That's true, keane was channeling his inner Robbo that night.
Robson was putting in monster shifts on the pitch after 2/3 day benders too.

Unread 29-09-2015, 09:07 PM
armchair

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinger
That's true, keane was channeling his inner Robbo that night.
Robson was putting in monster shifts on the pitch after 2/3 day benders too.
Yeah it was such a robbo goal. Your team is on the rocks and just through shear force of will you drag them back into it.

Unread 29-09-2015, 09:16 PM
Alex Jones was Right

In my opinion Robson's the best central midfielder united have had since the busby days. A brilliant box to box midfielder and the most influential player I've ever seen. Always showed up in the big games too. The united team fell apart when he wasn't playing, and I'm sure we'd have won the league in 86 if he hadn't have £#%&!ed his shoulder up, (along with the Hughes decline after Christmas). Then again, they'd likely have been no fergie in that case.

Since fergie made us good again, Schmeichel and Ronaldo are the only 2 players united have had who I think were just as good in their position as robson was in his.

The best compliment I can pay him is he was more influential than cantona and a better box to box midfielder than Keane.

Unread 29-09-2015, 09:20 PM
armchair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy Dodger
In my opinion Robson's the best central midfielder united have had since the busby days. A brilliant box to box midfielder and most influential player I've ever seen. Always showed up in the big games too. The united team fell apart when he wasn't playing.

Since fergie made us good again, Schmeichel and Ronaldo are the only 2 players united have had who I think were just as good in their position as robson was in his.

The best compliment I can pay him is he was more influential than cantona and a better box to box midfielder than Keane.
robbo was a much more attacking midfielder than keane but United needed a holding midfielder and keane was far better at that. imo keane could have scored 1 in 3 but he wouldn't have won so many medals.

Unread 29-09-2015, 09:28 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
robbo was a much more attacking midfielder than keane but United needed a holding midfielder and keane was far better at that. imo keane could have scored 1 in 3 but he wouldn't have won so many medals.
When I mention Keane in this context, I refer to the early Keane days at united, where he was box to box. I think he got his fair share in that role didn't he? Must have got double figures each season when playing that role. Keane is second only to robson as a box to box midfielder. I can't really pick out why I think robson was better than Keane, maybe it is the goals, or the influence, or my age at the time they played.

Keane was more versatile than robson, as he was just as good when shifted into defence. Though I guess we never saw robson have to shift roles in his prime, or at least I don't remember.

Unread 29-09-2015, 09:31 PM
jem

Quote:
I love keano, but the only thing he could do better than robbo was grow a beard. and that was only because robbo never grew a beard. soz.

Quote:
Keane was more versatile than robson, as he was just as good when shifted into defence.

Unread 29-09-2015, 09:47 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
In my opinion Robson's the best central midfielder united have had since the busby days. A brilliant box to box midfielder and the most influential player I've ever seen. Always showed up in the big games too. The united team fell apart when he wasn't playing, and I'm sure we'd have won the league in 86 if he hadn't have £#%&!ed his shoulder up, (along with the Hughes decline after Christmas). Then again, they'd likely have been no fergie in that case.

He could have gone somewhere else - maybe even OVER THERE <shudder>

Unread 29-09-2015, 09:51 PM
thatsfuctit

I am staunchly Robson > Keane, but yes Keane was truly box to box in his youth, and he was constantly in far better midfields and teams than Robson and a such I think he just played to the talent around him. Some of his performances for Rep of Ireland where he didn't have the same talent around him were phenomenal and made you realise / remember what a complete footballer he was.

Unread 29-09-2015, 09:55 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsfuctit
I am staunchly Robson > Keane, but yes Keane was truly box to box in his youth, and he was constantly in far better midfields and teams than Robson and a such I think he just played to the talent around him. Some of his performances for Rep of Ireland where he didn't have the same talent around him were phenomenal and made you realise / remember what a complete footballer he was.
Yep - even if he didn't get Ireland to the 2002 WC single handedly, he was nearer to doing so than most.

Unread 29-09-2015, 09:56 PM
92ToBury

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Yep - even if he didn't get Ireland to the 2002 WC single handedly, he was nearer to doing so than most.
Yes but Robbo gave us hope in the 80s when we generally had none.

Unread 29-09-2015, 09:57 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92ToBury
Yes but Robbo gave us hope in the 80s when we generally had none.
No argument there, loved Robbo tbh

Unread 29-09-2015, 10:00 PM
armchair

Quote:
When I mention Keane in this context, I refer to the early Keane days at united, where he was box to box. I think he got his fair share in that role didn't he? Must have got double figures each season when playing that role. Keane is second only to robson as a box to box midfielder. I can't really pick out why I think robson was better than Keane, maybe it is the goals, or the influence, or my age at the time they played.

Keane was more versatile than robson, as he was just as good when shifted into defence. Though I guess we never saw robson have to shift roles in his prime, or at least I don't remember.
Keane was a better defensive midfielder, Robbo was a better attacking midfielder. Keane also dictated the game far better and drove the team as a whole onwards. Robbo tended to have to do it himself. I think Roy could've got 1 in 3 but he let that go because the team winning medals was more important so that meant him holding a lot more. Robbo was in a far worse team so had to dig them out of the shit a lot. I think rk would too. I'm irish I've seen him play in shit teams. Watch Ireland v Holland 2001. Both were world class imo

Unread 29-09-2015, 10:37 PM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chorlton74
That was a huge relief after all the stuff about him going to Italy. Remember being in the Stret and all the chanting and petitions for him to stay. Sleepless nights, man-love etc.

Unread 29-09-2015, 10:46 PM
red in cumbria

That hairstyle is *so* early 80s

Unread 29-09-2015, 11:07 PM
Wez

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
That hairstyle is *so* early 80s
The back/mullet perm as well

Unread 29-09-2015, 11:13 PM
Denis Irwell

Amazing how little footy on TV then. When we signed him, fat Ron was saying "don't worry about the fee, this lad is pure gold". I remember thinking "I £#%&!ing hope so" but hadn't actually seen much of him despite his growing rep. So much more low key than the current hype and giddiness. He made Roy of the Rovers look like Luke Chadwick.

Unread 29-09-2015, 11:18 PM
jem

england would have won the world cup in 86 if robbo had stayed fit.