United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 16-05-2017, 10:47 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by gav81
It's not repeatedly calling out the players in public that's the worst of it. It's Mourinho's defence-minded tactics that destroy players like Martial and Mkhi.

In Mourinho's 4231 system, the two wide players in the 3 are expected to track back to support the full backs and often join the defence to make a line of six across the back. It doesn't allow those players to show their best in attack.

Look at Mourinho's last three players on the left of the 3: Ronaldo, Hazard and Martial. The first had a stand up row and nearly came to blows with Mourinho after he ignored instructions to track back more. The second downed tools after Mourinho dropped him from the team to provide more defensive stability. The third has understandably regressed from his goalscoring form of last season.

It is Mourinho's defence first tactics that fail to get the most from these free spirited, world class attacking talents. It's a shame because it's these type of players that United are famed for. Not even Giggs would have been the player he was in Mourinho's defensive system.

Against the traditions of the club, Mourinho has our attack firmly on a leash - that is never our way and a sad reflection of what Manchester United were about.
Can't disagree with any of that tbh.

Still, Roy Keane is not the answer.

Unread 16-05-2017, 10:54 AM
hopkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
pish. mourinho will learn from this and everything will be fine once he buys 8 world class players. unless, by fine, you mean classy and interesting. pride is a sin anyways.
2 more windows

Unread 16-05-2017, 10:58 AM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
pish. mourinho will learn from this and everything will be fine once he buys 8 world class players. unless, by fine, you mean classy and interesting. pride is a sin anyways.
Question Jem: do you believe we have a title winning and european (cup) winning squad at the moment?

Unread 16-05-2017, 11:37 AM
Sapien

Has anybody had ’opening this thread' yet?

Unread 16-05-2017, 11:38 AM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip Hubley
Fair enough. The problem I have with most of that is that you are placing the blame for:

- Martial's generally poor form
- Schweinsteiger being fat and unmotivated
- Playing a 30+ goal centre forward up front

All at Mourinhos door. And that's where I disagree. Obviously tactically he's taken the route of safety first, but I believe that's because - as I've said elsewhere - he doesn't trust (at least) half the squad to carry out a good job, and I can see why.

He's playing to our strengths which, this season, have been about being solid at the back and relying on Ibra to score the goals. I don't think he's been wrong to do that.

Pogba, Ibra (regardless of your thoughts about how we use him), Bailly have all been superb signings. Mkhitaryan less so but there's hope. The summer and next season will hopefully give a clearer indication of how he intends to go about his business of winning more trophies. I suspect he thinks that's why he's here.
bailly was an excellent signing and I like mkhi. pogba is pogba and ibra is ibra. but I don't buy that we play the way we do because he doesn't trust the players. it's mourinho football. and the side is unbalanced.

Unread 16-05-2017, 11:41 AM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
bailly was an excellent signing and I like mkhi. pogba is pogba and ibra is ibra. but I don't buy that we play the way we do because he doesn't trust the players. it's mourinho football. and the side is unbalanced.
There's plenty of examples from previous clubs where he didn't set up the team as he has this season. Real madrid 11/12 is the obvious one, but shouts for Porto and his first Chelsea stint. I wouldn't call any of those sides boring. Efficient, ruthless, robotic - but not boring or lacking in attacking intent.
Closed Thread