United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 27-05-2016, 10:04 AM
Venceremos

Exclamation The 5 steps to Rome Revenge (ongoing thread)

With the 1st attempt - the one that involved losing two of our 3 best attackers and not replacing them, no value, and something something about having to play the United way - having gone so spectacularly yet predictably wrong in the 2011 Final... We who endured Rome 2009 can, now, FINALLY, look forward to the genuine possibility, or likelihood even, of United revenge. YES!

1. Get Jose Mourinho in as Manager. ✔ 27/05/2016

Assemble a worthy team.

3. Qualify for the Champions League.

4. Draw Barcelona in the knockout stages.

5. Destroy them.

Unread 27-05-2016, 10:06 AM
Bunker Buster

Fergie's fields

Still gutted about the result

Unread 27-05-2016, 10:11 AM
forzagarza

Draw them 0-0 in both games.

Unread 27-05-2016, 10:11 AM
Cream

'qualify for the champions league'

Unread 27-05-2016, 10:17 AM
andyroo

Step 1 was the easiest bit.

Step 5 is by a very very £#%&!ing long way the hardest and he didn't do that with Real Madrid.

Unread 27-05-2016, 10:18 AM
Whip Hubley

Rome was way worse on the feels. Not turning up at all, despite Ronaldo, Rooney, Berba and Tevez in the squad.... Anderson FFS.

Not Fergie's finest hour.

Unread 27-05-2016, 10:32 AM
Clarkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigMikeA
Rome was way worse on the feels. Not turning up at all, despite Ronaldo, Rooney, Berba and Tevez in the squad.... Anderson FFS.

Not Fergie's finest hour.
His chapter on it in one of his books makes it all the more infuriating. Sounds like Giggs and a few others were bricking it.

Unread 27-05-2016, 10:39 AM
Lok

What's most frustrating about Rome is that is could have all been so different. We started so we'll and should have been leading, that team knew how to defend a lead.

Ultimately we were embarrassed as we chased the game and it didn't work out but I'm not convinced they were any better than us that season.

At Wembley we were lucky to even be remotely close to them, by then they were a much better team than us.

The mourinho appointment is a great one but we're a million miles away from competing at that level again.

Unread 27-05-2016, 01:15 PM
sa7

Poor old Michael Carrick wasn't the same for two or three years afterwards, such was the severity of the @#%&!ing we got that night

Unread 27-05-2016, 01:40 PM
ZiggyStardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa7
Poor old Michael Carrick wasn't the same for two or three years afterwards, such was the severity of the @#%&!ing we got that night
I always found it strange that Carrick got the most stick for that night

Few years back they had the match on Eurosport and for some morbid reason I decided to watch

Carrick was our best player on the night (not that that was saying too much)

Surprised me how much of the ball we had for that final, Barca only had 52%
Aside from the first 10 minutes we did £#%&! all with it. Our attack was pure shite that night
Rooney and Park as wide players with a stroppy Ronaldo up top

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lok
What's most frustrating about Rome is that is could have all been so different. We started so we'll and should have been leading, that team knew how to defend a lead.

Ultimately we were embarrassed as we chased the game and it didn't work out but I'm not convinced they were any better than us that season.

At Wembley we were lucky to even be remotely close to them, by then they were a much better team than us.

The mourinho appointment is a great one but we're a million miles away from competing at that level again.
Having watched the CL semi final between city and Madrid I don't think we are

Unread 27-05-2016, 01:43 PM
Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyStardust
I always found it strange that Carrick got the most stick for that night

Few years back they had the match on Eurosport and for some morbid reason I decided to watch

Carrick was our best player on the night (not that that was saying too much)

Surprised me how much of the ball we had for that final, Barca only had 52%
Aside from the first 10 minutes we did £#%&! all with it. Our attack was pure shite that night
Rooney and Park as wide players with a stroppy Ronaldo up top
They played around Carrick all game. Proper chasing shadows. The £#%&!er never was blessed with good mobility but back then it was less acceptable for a 28 year old to be moving like he's 70.

Unread 27-05-2016, 01:51 PM
ZiggyStardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck
They played around Carrick all game. Proper chasing shadows. The £#%&!er never was blessed with good mobility but back then it was less acceptable for a 28 year old to be moving like he's 70.
Well the likes of Messi, Iniesta and Xavi would play around any midfielder
The big problem that night was that aside from the opening 10 minutes we didn't create anything

Strangely we had very little spirit about us. As soon as we conceded the first there was just a resigned acceptance of the result even from the fans

Rio, Vidic and O'Shea were toilet playing out from the back that night
I forgot how poor Vidic was on the ball, possibility even worse than Smalling
I dread to think how Vidic would have got on in an LvG team

Unread 27-05-2016, 02:00 PM
Fergie out 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
Fergie's fields
"What's not to like!?"

Unread 27-05-2016, 02:02 PM
Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyStardust
Well the likes of Messi, Iniesta and Xavi would play around any midfielder
The big problem that night was that aside from the opening 10 minutes we didn't create anything

Strangely we had very little spirit about us. As soon as we conceded the first there was just a resigned acceptance of the result even from the fans

Rio, Vidic and O'Shea were toilet playing out from the back that night
I forgot how poor Vidic was on the ball, possibility even worse than Smalling
I dread to think how Vidic would have got on in an LvG team
That was part of the problem. Carrick, Giggs and Anderson had no energy about them and on the night no bottle. Fletcher would have provided both I'm certain but those damn UEFA laws regarding suspensions £#%&!ed us over.

Unread 27-05-2016, 02:04 PM
atticusgrinch

1. Underpants
3. Profit

Unread 27-05-2016, 02:21 PM
Tumescent Throb

always said the rome final was nothing like the out-classing people have always made it out to be...

it's utter %@#$&!s to blame the inclusion of park as well - reality is that he'd played away at arsenal and he'd played away at inter, probably our best 2 performances in the competition up to then. the previous season he played home and away v roma and v barcelona. anderson was gash on the night, rooney was completely ineffective (and should not have started) and tevez was disaffected and shouldn't have been 1st sub, but...

the problem, in no particular order, was that the tactic of having carrick release the ball in behind their full-backs just didn't work on the night, vidic made a schoolboy error for the opener, ronaldo was far too greedy, and we didn't take the chances we had, either at 0-0 or straight after the messi goal - when we had 2 or 3 very presentable chances in a good spell of pressure (ronaldo, giggs and berbatov iirc)...

the two best teams in the world went to rome, and barcelona took over our tag as top dogs by beating us fair and square and winning the treble. it was horrible, but it was hardly the disaster everyone makes out. it's not as if barcelona retained the trophy either ffs.

Unread 27-05-2016, 02:30 PM
sa7

It was the night that Barcelona side really came of age.

We were favourites going into it but they imposed their game on us from very early on and we were always fighting a losing battle chasing the game.

It always seems a bigger disaster than it was because it was the first European final we'd lost and the first time we'd had to deal with the crushing disappointment of losing one.

Unread 27-05-2016, 02:33 PM
£#%&! KFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
always said the rome final was nothing like the out-classing people have always made it out to be...

it's utter balls to blame the inclusion of park as well - reality is that he'd played away at arsenal and he'd played away at inter, probably our best 2 performances in the competition up to then. the previous season he played home and away v roma and v barcelona. anderson was gash on the night, rooney was completely ineffective (and should not have started) and tevez was disaffected and shouldn't have been 1st sub, but...

the problem, in no particular order, was that the tactic of having carrick release the ball in behind their full-backs just didn't work on the night, vidic made a schoolboy error for the opener, ronaldo was far too greedy, and we didn't take the chances we had, either at 0-0 or straight after the messi goal - when we had 2 or 3 very presentable chances in a good spell of pressure (ronaldo, giggs and berbatov iirc)...

the two best teams in the world went to rome, and barcelona took over our tag as top dogs by beating us fair and square and winning the treble. it was horrible, but it was hardly the disaster everyone makes out. it's not as if barcelona retained the trophy either ffs.
Rome was a holocaust and I've never been able to watch it back again other than brief highlights so many things went wrong that night although had we scored first in that 10 minutes when we were on top who knows......but from 2007-09 United were among the very best in Europe and that's why 09 hurt so much as we were such a good team

by 2011 I expected us to do better and while the defeat was also horrific it didn't feel as bad as Rome given our even more ridiculous team selection....Fabio ffs at least Wazza turned up at Wembley shame nobody else did as that barca team were not as good as 09 imo

Unread 27-05-2016, 02:40 PM
boreez

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticusgrinch
1. Underpants
3. Profit

Unread 27-05-2016, 02:42 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by £#%&! KFC
Rome was a holocaust and I've never been able to watch it back again other than brief highlights so many things went wrong that night although had we scored first in that 10 minutes when we were on top who knows......but from 2007-09 United were among the very best in Europe and that's why 09 hurt so much as we were such a good team

by 2011 I expected us to do better and while the defeat was also horrific it didn't feel as bad as Rome given our even more ridiculous team selection....Fabio ffs at least Wazza turned up at Wembley shame nobody else did as that barca team were not as good as 09 imo
at wembley united didn't carry out their instructions. it went like it did because we let it. ferdinand has talked about this. ferguson coating rooney off by the touchline for not keeping the shape is my defining memory of the game. personally thought barcelona were better in 11 than they were in 09, and they definitely had a massive psychological advantage before most games started because it was so hard to keep the ball off them... the first press had to be broken and then you had to play back through it to play at your own tempo - very few could do it. the alternative was to maintain high tempo, which invariably resulted in quick turnover... mourinho had the answer - well honed counter and match barca's disgusting snide. not all refs would help the catalans thank £#%&!.
Closed Thread