United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 23-04-2012, 09:19 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by taff
the most since 1978/79 apparently. £#%&!ing insane.
Especially since there have still been plenty of home clean sheets

Unread 24-04-2012, 08:16 AM
Tiberian

Browsing through the Monday football supplements I noticed a stat which shocked me and is possibly a reason behind the defensive issues. Utd have only caught the opposition offside 33 times in the league this season, the lowest in the entire league. Arsenal, traditionally, have the most with 150+.

Before the season, even early on I would have agreed with the general view that the main weakness in this squad is their inability to deal with high tempo pressing. However as the season has progressed the more worrying issue is how incredibly ineffectual Utd have been at winning the ball back. This ties into that offside stat because the main defensive tactic has been to drop deep and defend the box, allowing the other team the first 70 yards of the pitch almost uncontested.

It has got to the point in the games against Wigan and Everon where the only way Utd have had of getting the ball back is by waiting for the opposition to make a mistake, a poor cross, a shot wide, an overhit pass. The Wigan game is the most passive I have ever witnessed from a Utd side, Wigan did not have to play well or work that hard to dominate that game. All they had to do was show patience, not resort to long balls and it became easy for them to work the ball forward and pen Utd in, because Utd retreated and invited them forward.

Some have been asking why Everton worked harder against Utd than t hey did in the SF against Liverpool. The problem is they did not, Utd made it easy for them to play. Gibson is a good footballer, an excellent ball striker with a fine passing range, but he is immobile, lacks agility and when pressed he is slow to react. Anyone who watched him during his days with Utd can see that these are his main problems, anyone who played with or managed him must know that he struggles in that type of game. However they stood off him and made it easy for him to play, an enjoyable experience for him.

Fellani has rightly been given a lot of praise for his performance, but I have watched him in games when he is not giving all the time in the world to play and he struggles, not because he is a bad player but with his frame it is difficult to move his feet quick enough with players all around him.

It would be easy to blame this all on the midfield, and the lack of energy and pace in that area. Perhaps even Ferdinand losing pace and trying to protect him by sitting deep. Something similar happened with Blanc in the team, but even then the team as unit were much more aggressive in looking to win the ball higher up. The problem is is that it has been a consistent tactical choice with every line up.

Unread 24-04-2012, 10:11 AM
MJ Ramone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
It has got to the point in the games against Wigan and Everon where the only way Utd have had of getting the ball back is by waiting for the opposition to make a mistake, a poor cross, a shot wide, an overhit pass.
I've picked up on this of late.
We retreat to the edge of the box like you say & hope nothing will come of the opposition attack...or we'll look to nick the ball away at the last minute.
It's asking for trouble.

Toure' will have a field day on Monday if we allow him to waltz unchallenged to the edge of our box ..not to mention what Silva, Aguero & Tevez are likely to £#%&!ing do

Unread 24-04-2012, 08:09 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Ramone
I've picked up on this of late.
We retreat to the edge of the box like you say & hope nothing will come of the opposition attack...or we'll look to nick the ball away at the last minute.
It's asking for trouble.

Toure' will have a field day on Monday if we allow him to waltz unchallenged to the edge of our box ..not to mention what Silva, Aguero & Tevez are likely to £#%&!ing do
Utd have beaten City 2 out of the 3 matches they have played this year. The CS may be pointless but there should be no reason why Utd go into this game feeling inferior.

I can also see Mancini going negative and filling his team with De Jong/Milner/Barry in midfield. The running power of Toure will be an issue though.

Unread 24-04-2012, 08:10 PM
dunk

Quote:
Utd have beaten City 2 out of the 3 matches they have played this year. The CS may be pointless but there should be no reason why Utd go into this game feeling inferior.

I can also see Mancini going negative and filling his team with De Jong/Milner/Barry in midfield. The running power of Toure will be an issue though.
If I was Mancini I'd just copy what Everton did with Fellaini with Toure, we were utterly clueless as to what to do with him. Too much power for our feeble team.

Unread 24-04-2012, 08:15 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
If I was Mancini I'd just copy what Everton did with Fellaini with Toure, we were utterly clueless as to what to do with him. Too much power for our feeble team.
Games like this Utd really miss Fletcher, someone who has that desire and energy to close down the opposition and force mistakes. Possibly only Rafael in the team who really has that side to his game now, and pressing only really works when the team as whole buy into it. It is a little easier for a midfielder to spark the team into following than a right back as well.

Unread 24-04-2012, 08:18 PM
dunk

Quote:
Games like this Utd really miss Fletcher, someone who has that desire and energy to close down the opposition and force mistakes. Possibly only Rafael in the team who really has that side to his game now, and pressing only really works when the team as whole buy into it. It is a little easier for a midfielder to spark the team into following than a right back as well.
We've missed Fletcher for 2 years and Hargreaves for 4. Winds me right up. Everyone, we all, want an attacking, inventive midfielder, but £#%&! me do we need some power, energy and bite from somewhere.

Unread 24-04-2012, 09:41 PM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
We've missed Fletcher for 2 years and Hargreaves for 4. Winds me right up. Everyone, we all, want an attacking, inventive midfielder, but £#%&! me do we need some power, energy and bite from somewhere.
anderson can manage bite
Closed Thread