United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 11-12-2010, 10:21 AM
marlo

Default play for united (well be on the bench) or play for a mid table team week in, week out on abit more £

most if not all players would choose the mid table team.

not suprised but interesting.

'being at a big club isnt that important anymore, its all about playing when your younger'

Unread 11-12-2010, 10:24 AM
Sloane

who said that? its a short career most people are going to want to play and earn some cash so not suprising

Unread 11-12-2010, 10:51 AM
borsuk

'you can't beat a bit of scientific research'

Unread 11-12-2010, 10:54 AM
jem

is this another rim v fred thread? why, vi, why?

Unread 11-12-2010, 10:58 AM
Sparky***

Unread 11-12-2010, 11:15 AM
Time For Heroes

Well, being a United fan I'd sit on the bench every £#%&!ing week just to get a chance to one day run out on the hallowed turf and sky a sitter high into the stretford end.

Unread 11-12-2010, 11:56 AM
ReligiousRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
'you can't beat a bit of scientific research'

Players in wanting to play and get paid well shocker !!!

Unread 11-12-2010, 01:39 PM
Lord Greybear

I'd probably play for United for free, it's a unique privelige.

What is it Steve Bruce said, "He'd crawl over broken glass to get to Old Trafford".

I bet Scholes, Giggs, Nev etc have probably never been the top earners at the club, and have probably had offers at other clubs on higher wages, but they "get it". It's rare in today's football, Maldini being another example, of Our current squad, if he is good enough I reckon Welbeck will be a lifer, and I have a feeling that the twins may well be around for the long term.

Unread 11-12-2010, 02:14 PM
Zorg

I remember Paul Parker telling how when Fergie showed him round Old Trafford, on a non-match day, there were people in the stands 'just sat there watching...it could've been tuppence a week and I'd have come here'.

Unread 11-12-2010, 02:26 PM
marlo

was speaking to my friend who is 'practically' joint at the hip to a younger player on our books and was told this.

'why be behind all these players at united, not getting a game when you can play week in, week out at a alright-ish team and get more money, most of these players arent that gassed* on if they play for a big club when 19-25. its about playing and getting a good contract...'

Quote:
Gassed
To get excited or get hopes up.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=gassed

disclaimer - im not lying or making this up. but its a good talking point i think.
for example would you rather be 'bannan' after his next deal (villa will give him a new deal soon and he'll be playing week in week out) or be darron gibson (lets imagine he isnt as shite as we exagerate and just a similar ability player but at a BIG club)...
makes sense imo.

ok another example.
would you rather your 19 year old son be at birmingham playing everyweek or in united squad?

Unread 11-12-2010, 02:28 PM
marlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Greybear
I'd probably play for United for free, it's a unique privelige.

What is it Steve Bruce said, "He'd crawl over broken glass to get to Old Trafford".

I bet Scholes, Giggs, Nev etc have probably never been the top earners at the club, and have probably had offers at other clubs on higher wages, but they "get it". It's rare in today's football, Maldini being another example, of Our current squad, if he is good enough I reckon Welbeck will be a lifer, and I have a feeling that the twins may well be around for the long term.
nice story but is everyone going to be giggs and scholes. two of the best players in recent history in their position.

you also have to be more realistic and current.

Unread 11-12-2010, 02:33 PM
Tumescent Throb

99% of players would want to play for United. the other 1% are liars. fact.

Unread 11-12-2010, 02:35 PM
jaffo

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo
ok another example.
would you rather your 19 year old son be at birmingham playing everyweek or in united squad?
United squad

Unread 11-12-2010, 02:38 PM
marlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
play? yes
sit on the bench and get cameos? not so sure.

Unread 11-12-2010, 02:43 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
play? yes
sit on the bench and get cameos? not so sure.
any player with any ambition or real ability would choose the united bench. if it doesn't work out then they'd move on. easy to say they wouldn't if they'd never get given the chance anyway.

Unread 11-12-2010, 02:46 PM
MUFC One Love

Quote:
Agreed.

Don't really get the point of this thread.

To me it looks like Marlo is just trying to brand every young footballer as 'they don't really care of have ambition they just want to play every week in a team they comfortably get into and earn loads of money' like the footballers who his mates know, but the looks of it. The idiot young footballers think like that, the ones who want to make a proper name in the game would give it a go at a big club. Yes you may not make it at a big club but if you have amibiton you'd give it a good go and leave with no regrets about 'what if'. The Bannan example doesn't make sense, he has gone through Villa's youth ranks hasn't he? He's broke into the team and will probably be playing for one of the top teams in 18 months time.

Unread 11-12-2010, 02:47 PM
marlo

Quote:
any player with any ambition or real ability would choose the united bench. if it doesn't work out then they'd move on. easy to say they wouldn't if they'd never get given the chance anyway.
ok lets say you have a 19 year old striker.very talented. but no experiance.
he could be at united and be behind rooney, berbs, hernandez and owen and get the odd game or play for blackburn and get 25 league appearances a season and a domestic cup run

if that son was your nephew where you advise him to go?

Unread 11-12-2010, 02:48 PM
borsuk

Thumbs up

Quote:
im not lying or making this up
phew

Unread 11-12-2010, 02:49 PM
MUFC One Love

Quote:
ok lets say you have a 19 year old striker.very talented. but no experiance.
he could be at united and be behind rooney, berbs, hernandez and owen and get the odd game or play for blackburn and get 25 league appearances a season and a domestic cup run

if that son was your nephew where you advise him to go?
No, I'd tell him to have a good crack at it, and you have to trust that the manager will give them ago. If they're as 'talented' as you think they'll show how good they are and become a good player for that team.

If it's not working out then yes, leave and play regular football. There's a difference between having ambition and giving it a proper go and settling for playing for a smaller club, getting games regular and earning a nice wage.

Unread 11-12-2010, 02:51 PM
marlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC One Love
Agreed.

Don't really get the point of this thread.

To me it looks like Marlo is just trying to brand every young footballer as 'they don't really care of have ambition they just want to play every week in a team they comfortably get into and earn loads of money' like the footballers who his mates know, but the looks of it. The idiot young footballers think like that, the ones who want to make a proper name in the game would give it a go at a big club. Yes you may not make it at a big club but if you have amibiton you'd give it a good go and leave with no regrets about 'what if'. The Bannan example doesn't make sense, he has gone through Villa's youth ranks hasn't he? He's broke into the team and will probably be playing for one of the top teams in 18 months time.
your talking out your arse again like the idiot that you are.

im putting forward a point which is relates to a young player at our club.
i was always a firm believer is 'playing for a big club' and the clout that comes with it but now seeing it slightly different.
Closed Thread