United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
View Poll Results: Is Lionel Messi the greatest player ever?
Yes 38 37.62%
No 63 62.38%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Unread 22-04-2012, 11:18 AM
n48

He's playing in a time when football is becoming a non-contact sport. Best, Pele, Maradonna played in harder times with less referee protection and lumpy pitches. He's one of the greats but not the greatest. Perhaps he could try playing over here for a while?

Unread 22-04-2012, 11:23 AM
thenorthwillriseagain

Quote:
Originally Posted by n48
He's playing in a time when football is becoming a non-contact sport. Best, Pele, Maradonna played in harder times with less referee protection and lumpy pitches. He's one of the greats but not the greatest. Perhaps he could try playing over here for a while?
why the £#%&! would he want to play over here
he's going to leave the greatest club side possibly ever and stop winning european cups for fun just to prove himself against the likes of stoke and £#%&!ing blackburn

Unread 22-04-2012, 11:25 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by irk
As if international football is superior to European club football in the first place.
I think that's part of the point. Argentina are a lot worse than Barca, so Messi would be proving something if he maintained something close to his performance level in much more difficult circumstances, as Maradona did in '86. At club level, it'll be interesting to see how Messi does when Barca's current cycle finishes.

Unread 22-04-2012, 02:48 PM
Harri Jaffa

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Fair enough. Messi is obviously more talented, but you do wonder if he'd be anywhere near as good outside Barca. I doubt we'll ever find out.
It's not that complicated. Messi isn't as good for Argentina.

Xavi is the key to getting the most out of Messi imho

Unread 24-04-2012, 09:53 PM
Tiberian

Calling Saffers to the thread.

Unread 24-04-2012, 09:54 PM
Rhodzy

Little £#%&!ing roidy @#%&!.

Unread 24-04-2012, 09:58 PM
saffers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
Calling Saffers to the thread.
Didnt even need to bump it did I mate?

Sorry to be smug about it, but I usually call these things right.

Felt a bit bad for Messi tonight, he's one of the few non-@#%&!s in the game today and by far the best player in the world. Just a shame sensationalists spoil his greatness by declaring him the best ever when that is an outrageous statement.

Has so much to prove despite all the ridiculous goal records, number of goals does not equal legend. He could have half the number of his current goals in his career and id rate him in the same spot.

Nice that Barca once again fail to retain the CL though. Sacchi's Magio Milan standing loud and proud.

Unread 24-04-2012, 09:59 PM
Ghetts

Still the best IMO. One bad game and he is suddenly shit

Unread 24-04-2012, 10:01 PM
red in cumbria

£#%&!ing shame he never plays like he did tonight against us, eh??

Unread 25-04-2012, 12:02 AM
Liu Jian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghetts
Still the best IMO. One bad game and he is suddenly shit
He's already won 3 European Cups hasnt he. Not even 25 yet .

Unread 25-04-2012, 12:12 AM
Sparky***

Quote:
He's been doing it for a while. He did the same when they played Napoli and Benfica. He's £#%&!ing irritating, tbh.
Come on Lads, he's not working for MUTV ffs.

I understand the old "uuorrrrrggggghhh unbelieeeeevabuuull" was a bit over the top but maybe he thinks he has to over do that sort of thing to win the supporters of other teams over and convince them he's not biased?

Either way i think he's great.

Unread 25-04-2012, 12:22 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***

I understand the old "uuorrrrrggggghhh unbelieeeeevabuuull" was a bit over the top but maybe he thinks he has to over do that sort of thing to win the supporters of other teams over and convince them he's not biased?

That's almost certainly why he does it, but it's still embarrassing. Townsend does the same on ITV when Chelsea play. It's piss poor.

Unread 25-04-2012, 03:42 AM
Grimson

Quote:
That's almost certainly why he does it, but it's still embarrassing. Townsend does the same on ITV when Chelsea play. It's piss poor.
I think he just wants English clubs to do well in Europe. He'll be friendly with quite a few of the Chelsea team and they were only title rivals anyway, and even that for only the last few years of his career.

Unread 25-04-2012, 09:11 AM
The Return of JC

No.

Unread 25-04-2012, 09:13 AM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***

Best pundit around. That Monday night thing about diving was excellent, plus he has the added 'big club' insight and has played fairly recently. But he does have a tendancy to over-compensate for his Unitedness!
Closed Thread