United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > Music
Closed Thread

Unread 17-08-2007, 10:34 AM
TheNew

Default The official 'post rock' is the best genre of music ever thread

f*** all that Northern Soul balls. It's for old people innit?

Give me 15 minute songs with 9 minute intro's any day of the week.

Note that post rock is closely followed by the mighty re-emergence of Shoegaze.

Unread 17-08-2007, 10:35 AM
Whalefish

It's not bad but once you pick the best out of the bunch the rest just sound like c***s.

However, Mono for example are one of the most blantant blatant GYBE copyists I've ever heard yet they're so naive about it I just love them. Explosions in the Sky bore me silly.

Unread 17-08-2007, 10:39 AM
TheNew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish
It's not bad but once you pick the best out of the bench the rest just sound like c***s.

However, Mono for example are one of the most blantant blatant GYBE copyists I've ever heard yet they're so naive about it I just love them. Explosions in the Sky bore me silly.
I think it's quite hard to stand out from the crowd in the genre, that's true. 65daysofstatic are one such example though of a band trying to push the envelope a bit more.

Just listening to Mono now, and they are hard not to like.

Unread 17-08-2007, 10:43 AM
Whalefish

Still think the likes of GYBE, Slint, Mogwai (to an extent) and Earth are the benchmarks. Although the latter are more drone than post rock. Still f***ing mint though.

Red Sparrowes aren't bad either. A little pretentious but I wouldn't want it any other way.

Unread 17-08-2007, 10:51 AM
hopkins

It's background music, innit.

I heard that Mono have ditched the post-rock and gone for a heavier Deftones approach?

Unread 17-08-2007, 10:56 AM
Whalefish

You are There is the last release I picked up by Mono and it's still much of the same.

This thread has prompted me to go and check out my b**** Magnet and Seam records aagin.

Unread 17-08-2007, 10:58 AM
carlosartorial

Thumbs up

Stick your Tortoise up your arses.

Unread 17-08-2007, 10:59 AM
Whalefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosartorial
Stick your Tortoise up your arses.
Overrated and dull as f*** live. Only ever done one decent record and that was years ago.

Unread 17-08-2007, 11:00 AM
TheNew

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopkins
It's background music, innit.

I heard that Mono have ditched the post-rock and gone for a heavier Deftones approach?
Is it f*** background music.

The more you listen to it, the more reward you get from it in my opinion. Sure, you can treat it as background music, but it'll never take you the same places. nb. I realise how pretentious that sounds.

Unread 17-08-2007, 11:00 AM
carlosartorial

I was only kidding.

Unread 17-08-2007, 11:06 AM
DinGbAt

Godspeed are the best band ever! Slint are rubbish though, downloaded spiderland a while back and was so disappointed.

Unread 17-08-2007, 11:08 AM
Whalefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinGbAt
Godspeed are the best band ever! Slint are rubbish though, downloaded spiderland a while back and was so disappointed.
f*** off you spanner. No Slint = no GYBE.

Unread 17-08-2007, 11:36 AM
hopkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNew
Is it f*** background music.

The more you listen to it, the more reward you get from it in my opinion. Sure, you can treat it as background music, but it'll never take you the same places. nb. I realise how pretentious that sounds.
I see where you're coming from, but I prefer the heavier stuff like Neurosis, Isis and Cult Of Luna. That kind of stuff takes you somewhere, as it has definitive peaks and troughs.
Closed Thread