Quote:
Originally Posted by 20 times
Hope we lose
Thinking of burning my tickets tbf

Unread 15-05-2017, 01:31 PM
Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Duckworth
i want to win it because winning is what it's all about, especially finals. i'm not sure too many ex-players will be totting up how many top 4 finishes they had in their careers.

not remotely arsed about winning it to qualify for the champions league next season though. are people forgetting how terribly we have played for a large part of this season? imagine what the likes of juve, barca, celtic and real madrid will do to us

Unread 15-05-2017, 01:32 PM
20 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiganste
Thinking of burning my tickets tbf
It's not big ears so we shouldn't be trying to win it. Cancel your flights too Jeff

Unread 15-05-2017, 03:18 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticusgrinch
The record fee for Pogba was just righting Ferguson's wrong. Not sure why that means the league position is disgraceful.
I think you are missing the context of the comment: we don't have some divine right to trophies, but.... if we are going to be laying out on record transfers, it is not unreasonable to expect some kind of challenge, rather than the sad capitulation to mediocrity. it has nothing to do with being spoilt. we expected to challenge for the league in the late 70s / early 80s too, based on having a team that could beat anyone when it wasn't missing the entire midfield.

Unread 15-05-2017, 03:48 PM
TripDownMiseryLane

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
I think you are missing the context of the comment: we don't have some divine right to trophies, but.... if we are going to be laying out on record transfers, it is not unreasonable to expect some kind of challenge, rather than the sad capitulation to mediocrity. it has nothing to do with being spoilt. we expected to challenge for the league in the late 70s / early 80s too, based on having a team that could beat anyone when it wasn't missing the entire midfield.
Always thought/hoped we were nearly there Don't think it's spoilt or shit, but the disappointment seems harder to deal with these days. we became accustomed to winning and the drop to mediocrity is galling especially when you see our Euro rivals like barca, RM and BM going on and on.

Unread 15-05-2017, 06:57 PM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
People throwing up past winners images and 'back in the glory days' posts...

Really

Not a single person on this entire board has ever wanted to win this thing before..
It's been mocked for years...
We haven't wanted to win it before becuase we've been in the Champions League. We want to win it now becuase we're in it, it offers CL and it's better than not winning it.

Simple really.

Ofcourse we're going to take the piss when we were better. It's a reflection of our current standard now, not our ambitions. We can lament where we are and how it isn't as good as the CL, or we can be positive about it and hope it's a stepping stone to better days

Unread 15-05-2017, 07:27 PM
Red Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Duckworth
i want to win it because winning is what it's all about, especially finals. i'm not sure too many ex-players will be totting up how many top 4 finishes they had in their careers.

not remotely arsed about winning it to qualify for the champions league next season though. are people forgetting how terribly we have played for a large part of this season? imagine what the likes of juve, barca, celtic and real madrid will do to us

Celtic

Unread 15-05-2017, 08:12 PM
20 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Redface
We haven't wanted to win it before becuase we've been in the Champions League. We want to win it now becuase we're in it, it offers CL and it's better than not winning it.

Simple really.

Ofcourse we're going to take the piss when we were better. It's a reflection of our current standard now, not our ambitions. We can lament where we are and how it isn't as good as the CL, or we can be positive about it and hope it's a stepping stone to better days
Closed Thread