United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 15-05-2017, 03:38 AM
Crumps

Football Europa League? Some musings

The Europa league, much like qualifying for the CL by finishing 3rd or 4th is something I had never really given any serious thought about until recently. Kind of at a loss as to why it is so derided, especially in this country. Of course it's not as prestigious as the CL but now it takes the place of the CWC and the UEFA as well as qualifying for the CL. Where do most mother£#%&!ers take their lead from? I mean most of the country has had to live vicariously through Us, Liverpool and Chelsea for European football. So why and how they look down at any competition is beyond me.

Think they should stop dumping 3rd place CL teams in it.
CL should be top two and the winner of the FA Cup/premier cup competition in respective countries.

I personally really want to win this trophy so we can say we have won everything there is to win and have basically completed football. Don't particulary want to be in it again but winning 3 out of 4 cup competitions through what's been a rough as £#%&! transition post Fergie and after the £#%&! up that was Moyes. Really glad we are playing Ajax in it too, two proper £#%&!ing clubs drenched in European history.

Latest thing Bitters seem to be doing is going 'history blah blah blah you're as bad as Liverpool now' anytime our record in a competition. Is brought up, keep having to remind them that if we win the Europa we was you have won3 trophies since their last one. #@&%!s

Unread 15-05-2017, 04:16 AM
Stickman

I think its derided due to the CL 3rd place drop outs going into its latter stages automatically. Takes a lot of prestige from the award in my view.

The old UEFA cup format was obviously better and so came some prestige in winning.

I view it as a means to an end and nothing more. Ajax United is a great final as far as the tournament sponsors are concerned however.

Unread 15-05-2017, 04:23 AM
ScarFace

It's only shit when you have better options.

Should we win it, we've had a better season than anybody in England bar Chelsea

Unread 15-05-2017, 04:33 AM
Crumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarFace
It's only shit when you have better options.

Should we win it, we've had a better season than anybody in England bar Chelsea
Yup.

There's not a single Spurs fan that wouldn't swap two trophies and a plate for finishing second. You may get the odd liar. Shocked to see (I'm not) how spoiled some dick faces are. Their mind has been rotted by Super Sundays and the 'top 4' as an achievement.

Europa League is in the top 5 competitions in World football too IMO. Think a bit of a revamp of the EL and CL, maybe changing the CL's name as you've got a team in it that haven't won the league for half a £#%&!ing century.

Unread 15-05-2017, 04:47 AM
Stickman

I would rather win this with the League cup rather than finish merely top 4, however Id take being in the title race all day long over winning the Europa and being miles off the pace, especially after this season should we win it.

Unread 15-05-2017, 04:55 AM
Crumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
I would rather win this with the League cup rather than finish merely top 4, however Id take being in the title race all day long over winning the Europa and being miles off the pace, especially after this season should we win it.
Of course, hopefully this will be our last jaunt into the Europa. Nice winning things during a transitional period though.

Unread 15-05-2017, 05:22 AM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumps
Of course, hopefully this will be our last jaunt into the Europa. Nice winning things during a transitional period though.
definitely. Were spoilt beyond belief if we can pick up the Fa Cup, League Cup and Europa all whilst being relatively shit

Unread 15-05-2017, 05:54 AM
Bunker Buster

Hating it more and more each day....

With the effort, desire and shit being served up in the last few league games (most of 2017) I despise its last chance saloon all eggs in one basket feel....

Not sure 80% of the players even deserve it....

Just end the season....

Unread 15-05-2017, 06:28 AM
waynes ear's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
I think its derided due to the CL 3rd place drop outs going into its latter stages automatically. Takes a lot of prestige from the award in my view.
This

Unread 15-05-2017, 06:42 AM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumps
Agreed and I can also understand why this became the manager's priority. He wants tangible success and made a choice of Europa + CL over Top 4. Pragmatic.

I just wish he at least kept up the pretence of a Top 4 fight. Rather lose while trying - stick the kids in there of you have to - than doing £#%&! all and still losing.

We better win this £#%&!er. Another year of Europa is truly sickening.

Unread 15-05-2017, 06:59 AM
Billy Redface

I get why it's derided. It's the ultimate consolation. Mere participation reflects a failure to meet objectives.

The way it's come about this year isn't ideal either. The way we seemed barely arsed at first, but it soon became necessary once our league campaign unraveled.....but we were always likely to get to this point: out of the europa and focusing on top four, or out of top four and going for Europa. The failures of this side ensured that.

We are still reeling from Fergie's departure. It's no coincidence that all four league campaigns have yielded similar league positions and points totals. We've gone through three managers. We're struggling.

Does this mean that we now accept a lower standard? No! Right here and now is not where anybody wants to be or expects us to be, but surely anyone who isn't a spoiled brat appreciates that football comes in these cycles and you simply can't be the best all the time....
But we are always aiming to be.

In the meantime, if we can win trophies and those trophies can be stepping stones to bigger things, then that's not a bad thing.

Look at spurs. Everyone is raving about them. They finished second. They are in their best moment for decades. They've won 1 trophy in ten years. Liverpool: one trophy in ten years. Everton: one in twenty. Arsenal went ten years without winning anything.

Winning trophies consistently is £#%&!ing hard. To win 3 in 2 years in what hopefully our worst spell is pretty £#%&!ing good going.

Most clubs would kill to have our shit seasons.

As ever on here, it's one or the other: you're either accepting mediocrity or you're in cuckoo land.

I accept we're in a shit spot, but I'll take a few pots while we try to get out of it.

Unread 15-05-2017, 07:02 AM
Mr_Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Redface
I get why it's derided. It's the ultimate consolation. Mere participation reflects a failure to meet objectives.

The way it's come about this year isn't ideal either. The way we seemed barely arsed at first, but it soon became necessary once our league campaign unraveled.....but we were always likely to get to this point: out of the europa and focusing on top four, or out of top four and going for Europa. The failures of this side ensured that.

We are still reeling from Fergie's departure. It's no coincidence that all four league campaigns have yielded similar league positions and points totals. We've gone through three managers. We're struggling.

Does this mean that we now accept a lower standard? No! Right here and now is not where anybody wants to be or expects us to be, but surely anyone who isn't a spoiled brat appreciates that football comes in these cycles and you simply can't be the best all the time....
But we are always aiming to be.

In the meantime, if we can win trophies and those trophies can be stepping stones to bigger things, then that's not a bad thing.

Look at spurs. Everyone is raving about them. They finished second. They are in their best moment for decades. They've won 1 trophy in ten years. Liverpool: one trophy in ten years. Everton: one in twenty. Arsenal went ten years without winning anything.

Winning trophies consistently is £#%&!ing hard. To win 3 in 2 years in what hopefully our worst spell is pretty £#%&!ing good going.

Most clubs would kill to have our shit seasons.

As ever on here, it's one or the other: you're either accepting mediocrity or you're in cuckoo land.

I accept we're in a shit spot, but I'll take a few pots while we try to get out of it.
What we can't keep doing is knee jerking and changing managers.

The club needs a coherent transfer policy and we need to modernise in that respect... get in good managers but give them the right tools.

Unread 15-05-2017, 07:05 AM
20 times

We really need to win it. The whole country wants us to £#%&! it up. Let's make the @#%&!s squirm

Unread 15-05-2017, 07:12 AM
Sapien

Quite tempted to place a substantial wager on Ajax as an emotional hedge. If we lose it is going to be quite a low.

Unread 15-05-2017, 07:12 AM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
What we can't keep doing is knee jerking and changing managers.

The club needs a coherent transfer policy and we need to modernise in that respect... get in good managers but give them the right tools.
I don't think we will change for a while. The more we do it, the less likely it looks like the right thing to do.

José will be backed heavily in the market again and we will improve. What we need to do is stop pretending it's 1999. Yes, we have a 'way' we want to play, but that was was often produced by a side at the top of their game, top of the league and full of confidence. This expectation of just turning up places with a 'swagger'.....swaggers don't just happen! Certainly not for most managers in their first season. We aren't there. Which means if we turn up at white Hart Lane, playing at less than 100% because our minds on other things against a team that is unquestionably better than us (sorry, but they are. Accept it.), it doesn't require a massive inquest when we narrowly lose. It's where we are right now.

Do we want it or think it's OK? No. But we need to have a bit of 'self awareness' at times.

Unread 15-05-2017, 08:23 AM
wiganste

From a purely selfish point of view, I've loved the Europa League. Had some cracking trips to places/teams we don't normally go to.

The football has been rank though - the players didn't want to be in this competition. Obviously now we're in a final, so every red should be happy about this - winning trophies>2nd/3rd/4th any day of the week.

Overall it's been a shite season. I can't wait for it to end. But if we win this and look back in a few years time, this could be the pivotal moment in getting us back eating from the top table and rubbing shoulders with Barca, Real & Bayern instead of Rostov, St. Etienne and £#%&!ing Celta Vigo

Unread 15-05-2017, 09:06 AM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiganste
From a purely selfish point of view, I've loved the Europa League. Had some cracking trips to places/teams we don't normally go to.

The football has been rank though - the players didn't want to be in this competition. Obviously now we're in a final, so every red should be happy about this - winning trophies>2nd/3rd/4th any day of the week.

Overall it's been a shite season. I can't wait for it to end. But if we win this and look back in a few years time, this could be the pivotal moment in getting us back eating from the top table and rubbing shoulders with Barca, Real & Bayern instead of Rostov, St. Etienne and £#%&!ing Celta Vigo

Most this. Siders et al seem very hung up on what other people think - "oooo there's no prestige". Who gives a £#%&!? Seriously? As stigan says we've had a few trips out of it, the football has been garbage, but I'll be looking on the bright side of a European final in Stockholm next week

I don't think there's a club in the league who wouldn't want to be in a European final, particularly given the progress of English clubs in Europe otherwise - the argument is of course, that it's come at the cost of a higher league position which appears to be the case. My counter argument to that is that the squad is still full of shit and we were never going to win the league, so what difference does it make if we're 2nd or 6th? Providing of course we win the damn thing....

Unread 15-05-2017, 09:27 AM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip Hubley
Most this. Siders et al seem very hung up on what other people think - "oooo there's no prestige". Who gives a £#%&!? Seriously? As stigan says we've had a few trips out of it, the football has been garbage, but I'll be looking on the bright side of a European final in Stockholm next week

I don't think there's a club in the league who wouldn't want to be in a European final, particularly given the progress of English clubs in Europe otherwise - the argument is of course, that it's come at the cost of a higher league position which appears to be the case. My counter argument to that is that the squad is still full of shit and we were never going to win the league, so what difference does it make if we're 2nd or 6th? Providing of course we win the damn thing....
We've only ever won 4 European competitions... the idea we can turn our nose up at another while we're in this post-Ferguson slump is hilarious.

And siders et. al have an agenda. They will criticise Mourinho whatever. They'll still be doing it if Mourinho wins leagues and Champions Leagues at United.

Unread 15-05-2017, 09:29 AM
dragflick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticusgrinch
We've only ever won 4 European competitions... the idea we can turn our nose up at another while we're in this post-Ferguson slump is hilarious.

And siders et. al have an agenda. They will criticise Mourinho whatever. They'll still be doing it if Mourinho wins leagues and Champions Leagues at United.
Allllll very true.

We just better £#%&!ing win the thing

Unread 15-05-2017, 09:31 AM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragflick
Allllll very true.

We just better £#%&!ing win the thing
Penalty loss....

Nailed on...
Closed Thread