United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football

Unread 11-02-2021, 09:20 AM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron
Not necessarily... some coaches want the entire XI to be in formation at all times, a rigid adherence to the philosophy. See LvG. Any deviation from the plan & you are out on your ear. Individual moments of dribbling, shooting from ridiculous positions or flair aren't trusted. Others, say Mourinho, have the defense & midfield martialed to within an inch of their lives, playing incredibly low risk (cowardly) football & borderline allows the front 4 to fend for themselves. It's pragmatic but it's proven to be utter shit in the modern game as we've evolved (cycled around) to the Dutch philosophy of Cryuff above LvG whereby pressing, tri-angles & comfort in controlling and passing a football are what sets the men from the boys when it comes to winning leagues & European cups.

The trouble / issue / confusion for me when I look at this side, I see elements of what Fergie instilled. No issue with that, it's about courage on the ball (there is no more courageous player than Bruno in the league, possibly Europe when it comes to trying to create something. Anything. It's ballsy & it takes a LOT of faith from your manager. LvG would despise Bruno. Which I why I dislike that helmet. I digress.) However, Fergie also adhered to being better than the opposition whilst working hard as £#%&!. There are some lazy @#%&!s in our side. & others that get a free ride or you could say far too much stock placed in their talent considering the mistakes they make.

Ole has been ruthless in cleaning out the shite in the squad. I think he needs to be ruthless with one or two first teamers (De Gea, one of the midfield & possibly Martial if we get a suitable replacement.) When he has his true first XI, I'd like to see his style override any mishmash of others he's cobbled together. The Utd DNA is real, buying talent like Amad to play wide & beat players is hugely encouraging, but somehow it doesn't feel like there's a clear outcome yet.

For now, incorporating players like Beek is the least of our worries tbh, the kid is a good player & if he wants to be here & find a place he'll work his %@#$&!s off and make it happen. Utd aren't bending to his will or history, he'll have to find his own place here & Ole will need to find out to make it work for all of the good players we have. Right now, it's all about Bruno for us and the rest need to match his level. Donny wants to get his chucks out really.
There’s no escaping the fact that, at the moment, we look like a team of individuals relying on either individual moments of brilliance to win a match or avoiding individual mistakes not to lose one. We’re better than we were for sure, so I suppose that’s a sign of progress, but it feels like we’ve progressed by dint of having better individuals than before rather than a system that’s clicked.

I’ve also started to ask myself more and more whether a player who did 20 shit things and 2 good things - which may have led to 2 goal involvements - in a match played well or poorly? It’s hard to reconcile stats with what your eyes see atm.

Unread 11-02-2021, 09:30 AM
windy waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
yeah that was the one that sticks out. Wasn't really in open play though was it, we'd sent everyone up for a corner
It wasn't scored from a set piece so, yes, it was from open play.

HTH.

Unread 21-03-2021, 04:48 PM
Dr Stranger

Starts

Unread 21-03-2021, 07:21 PM
Spock

if he actually had a half decent game when he does come on he would get more starts. Seen nothing to justify that so far tbh

Unread 21-03-2021, 07:24 PM
Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock
if he actually had a half decent game when he does come on he would get more starts. Seen nothing to justify that so far tbh
Nice dummy for the goal. Pretty much m'eh other than that. He was never going to set the world alight but I'd hoped he'd show a little more. Clearly lacking confidence and takes the easy option nearly every time.

Unread 21-03-2021, 07:26 PM
NedKelly

I like him but his performance today was bang average and a total 5/10. Feel for him as people are writing him off but definitely needs to show a bit more soon or his opportunity here will pass him by.

Unread 21-03-2021, 07:27 PM
believe

I think it says it all when his best contribution so far has not been touching the ball

Unread 21-03-2021, 07:30 PM
NedKelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
I think it says it all when his best contribution so far has not been touching the ball

Unread 21-03-2021, 07:30 PM
AK14

Doesn’t do enough when he gets his chance

Still think he’ll end up a decent enough signing but he’s been very average so far.

Unread 21-03-2021, 07:31 PM
Tronics

Ole clearly didn’t buy him imo our supposed world class scouting team did and it shows

i like him personally, proper technical football player but he doesn’t really mesh well with how this team currently plays football

for instance if he’s meant to be Bruno’s understudy there’s literally nothing similar about how they play whatsoever

unless he decides to change how he plays football completely it’s probably never going to happen for him here under Ole unfortunately

Unread 21-03-2021, 07:32 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronics
Ole clearly didn’t buy him imo our supposed world class scouting team did and it shows

i like him personally, proper technical football player but he doesn’t really mesh well with how this team currently plays football

for instance if he’s meant to be Bruno’s understudy there’s literally nothing similar about how they play whatsoever

unless he decides to change how he plays football completely it’s probably never going to happen for him here under Ole unfortunately
He’s Mata’s replacements imo.

Unread 21-03-2021, 07:33 PM
Tuco

People moaning about a player who has hardly played this season, Whilst Fred is still on the Pitch.

Unread 21-03-2021, 07:34 PM
Spock

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
He’s Mata’s replacements imo.
mata is far superior

Unread 21-03-2021, 07:37 PM
Tronics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco
People moaning about a player who has hardly played this season, Whilst Fred is still on the Pitch.
i’m pretty certain Virgil van Dijk has completed more Premier League games this season than VdB

Unread 21-03-2021, 07:49 PM
windy waffles

Hes £#%&!ing garbage.

Runs around like a headless chicken and offers zilch.

Unread 21-03-2021, 07:53 PM
Cream

Doesn't seem to suit our style of play.

I'd keep Fred as a squad player but, as it stands, not beeky.

Let's see if he can adapt.

Unread 21-03-2021, 08:01 PM
saffers

Id play Donny deep in midfield instead of Fred.

We have not given him a fair shot. He's a great player.

Unread 21-03-2021, 08:02 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffers

Next season for him imo. Telles and Amad too.

Unread 21-03-2021, 08:03 PM
saffers

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Next season for him imo. Telles and Amad too.
Hopefully.

Liking all our non-English signings under Ole tbh.

Unread 21-03-2021, 08:10 PM
redhegemony

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffers

he tries to win the ball back so perhaps he could play a deeper role.