United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > TV / Film / Books / Arts

Unread 26-04-2019, 06:54 PM
messhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Norm
They didn't in Infinity War.

Let's be clear here. I go and see them because I have an 11 year old son, ostensibly the target audience for them. They're entertaining to me, nothing more. Not one of them would make it into my top ten favourite films of all time.

I also get they're not everyone's cup of tea.

However, I do find reading the wikipedia plot description and using it to make a critique of a piece of cinema weird and sad in equal measure.
They got rid of the most annoying superheroes in the snap, so they still won in my books.

Unread 26-04-2019, 06:54 PM
Harri Jaffa

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by messhead
You can do this with superhero films too. The key is in remembering they always win. If it's the second film, just assume they won in the first, and now they have to win again. They always win.
Just had this image of a penguin documentary, the little chick struggling to get enough freshly puked oily fish, wondering how it's gonna survive when Koto the aging iguana from episode 1 pops up in cameo to cook up one of famous spicy jungle soups to save the day*

*it was sort of that image it evolved while it was being written down...

Unread 26-04-2019, 06:56 PM
flixton

Quote:

Let's be clear here. I go and see them because I have an 11 year old son, ostensibly the target audience for them. They're entertaining to me, nothing more. Not one of them would make it into my top ten favourite films of all time.

However, I do find reading the wikipedia plot description and using it to make a critique of a piece of cinema weird and sad in equal measure.
Er, no. You don't get umpteen billion dollars by aiming at 11 yo boys. It's the adults who bring in the money.

Unread 26-04-2019, 07:02 PM
Harri Jaffa

Quote:
Originally Posted by flixton
Er, no. You don't get umpteen billion dollars by aiming at 11 yo boys. It's the adults who bring in the money.
Not sure that's true

I heard that a large chunk* of average disposable money in the uk is held by teenagers

*obv not including the billionaires who own half of North Somerset for instance...

Unread 26-04-2019, 07:04 PM
Big Norm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harri Jaffa
Not sure that's true

I heard that a large chunk* of average disposable money in the uk is held by teenagers

*obv not including the billionaires who own half of North Somerset for instance...
The films have been going since 2008. That age range has widened as a result.

Unread 26-04-2019, 07:07 PM
messhead

Quote:
The films have been going since 2008. That age range has widened as a result.
Explain sparky then.

Unread 26-04-2019, 07:08 PM
TheFatGoth

Quote:

Because it saves me sitting through 3 hours of green screen, physic defying ps2 quality cgi - you've seen a couple of marvel films you've seen em all, even the actors look bored half the time

Unread 26-04-2019, 07:11 PM
Big Norm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFatGoth
Because it saves me sitting through 3 hours of green screen, physic defying ps2 quality cgi - you've seen a couple of marvel films you've seen em all, even the actors look bored half the time
Why even bother then?

Unread 26-04-2019, 07:15 PM
TheFatGoth

Quote:
Why even bother then?
Because it's clearly a "pop culture event" and I like to keep my finger on the pulse given that it's been mentioned on pretty much every site I visit.

Unread 26-04-2019, 07:16 PM
flixton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harri Jaffa
Not sure that's true

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43070841

According to this they don't spend money on going to the cinema.