United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 01-08-2019, 09:14 PM
Chris Quayd

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
The money on Young, Jones, Smalling etc. is spent though, committed, so it isn't available to spend

Realistically, they can't buy Wan-Bissaka, James, Maguire, Longstaff and Fernandes, the money just isn't there, and the ones they do buy will be paid for over the next few years.

Or I'm completely wrong and there's hundreds of millions to spend but they can't give it away...
But we are spending hundreds of millions, you said yourself we have a £44m profit on close to £600m of revenue, we have one of the highest wage bills in world football on a team that gets results comparable to Wolves. Relatively we have much less of an advantage over other clubs financially than we had even when Moyes was here but there are clubs that spend a fraction what we do achieving more.

Unread 01-08-2019, 09:26 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Quayd
But we are spending hundreds of millions, you said yourself we have a £44m profit on close to £600m of revenue, we have one of the highest wage bills in world football on a team that gets results comparable to Wolves. Relatively we have much less of an advantage over other clubs financially than we had even when Moyes was here but there are clubs that spend a fraction what we do achieving more.
Completely with you on the fact we’re spending our ample resources badly. My point is there isn’t the capacity for much incoming without major outgoings and reductions in wages etc.

Unread 01-08-2019, 09:31 PM
ZiggyStardust

Quote:
Completely with you on the fact we’re spending our ample resources badly. My point is there isn’t the capacity for much incoming without major outgoings and reductions in wages etc.
With all due respect Dunk you (like the rest of us) don’t have a £#%&!ing clue what Utd can or can’t afford this transfer window

Unread 01-08-2019, 09:40 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyStardust
With all due respect Dunk you (like the rest of us) don’t have a £#%&!ing clue what Utd can or can’t afford this transfer window
There’s a bloody good indicator. I’ll let you try and work it out..

Unread 01-08-2019, 10:01 PM
Chris Quayd

Quote:
But a world record for a defender (£80m) would set us back £16m a season in transfer fee. You've got a bit more in wages but we'd recoup some of that flogging someone plus saving on their wages.

Unread 01-08-2019, 10:08 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Quayd
But a world record for a defender (£80m) would set us back £16m a season in transfer fee. You've got a bit more in wages but we'd recoup some of that flogging someone plus saving on their wages.
You’d think. But I’d imagine Leicester want it on the nose, or more if it’s in instalments, same as everyone else, hence the haggling. They then want to recoup as much as possible on sales to offset and can’t find buyers, then don’t want to lose players and have to replace them, so spend more on them proper messed up.

And we’ve already committed to £55m on AWB and however much on James and not clawed anything back thus far.

I can see why the Dybala/Lukaku deal works for United..

Unread 01-08-2019, 10:13 PM
Ethers

Swapping Dybala for Lukaku being a favourable deal for United has almost nothing to do with money ffs.

Unread 01-08-2019, 10:14 PM
AK14

Quote:
You’d think. But I’d imagine Leicester want it on the nose, or more if it’s in instalments, same as everyone else, hence the haggling. They then want to recoup as much as possible on sales to offset and can’t find buyers, then don’t want to lose players and have to replace them, so spend more on them proper messed up.

And we’ve already committed to £55m on AWB and however much on James and not clawed anything back thus far.

I can see why the Dybala/Lukaku deal works for United..
Yeah can see this being it tbh

It’s perhaps why the Maguire transfer seems to have stalled. Maybe we needed the money made on Lukaku to finance the HM deal?

Now we see the Dybala swap as a better deal but means we haven’t got the finances to get Maguire?

Unread 01-08-2019, 10:14 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
Swapping Dybala for Lukaku being a favourable deal for United has almost nothing to do with money ffs.
Of course it does

Gets rid of a player they don’t want, gets his wages off the books and gets them a replacement without any additional outlay.

It’s very rare United make money when selling a player and almost always end up parting with a higher fee to replace whoever is sold. Not in this instance.

Unread 01-08-2019, 10:18 PM
dragflick

Quote:
Of course it does

Gets rid of a player they don’t want, gets his wages off the books and gets them a replacement without any additional outlay.

It’s very rare United make money when selling a player and almost always end up parting with a higher fee to replace whoever is sold. Not in this instance.
Nah. If it was about money, they’d pocket it and not entertain the idea of a swap and just play Greenwood/James more.

Unread 01-08-2019, 10:20 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragflick
Nah. If it was about money, they’d pocket it and not entertain the idea of a swap and just play Greenwood/James more.
I don’t think they’d dare in the current climate and that would be if it was just about money.

They knew they needed to bring someone in to replace him, this kills 2 birds. I’m sure they’d have rather taken £90m off Inter and bought Dembele from Lyon for £60m, but that isn’t an option, and Dybala has a better profile (and is a better player tbf)

Unread 01-08-2019, 10:25 PM
Ethers

Quote:
Of course it does

Nope, first and foremost, it’s just a great deal in football terms. We’re swapping a terrible player for a very good one. Very disingenuous to suggest it’s mainly about money.

The ones who are actually struggling financially in this instance are Juve.

Unread 01-08-2019, 10:28 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
Nope, first and foremost, it’s just a great deal in football terms. We’re swapping a terrible player for a very good one. Very disingenuous to suggest it’s mainly about money.

The ones who are actually struggling financially in this instance are Juve.
I didn’t say it was mainly about money I said I can see why it works for United. It works financially because they get a replacement and a better player with no additional outlay.

Juve are mental.

If you’d said at the start of the summer we’d sell Lukaku and buy Dybala, you’d have expected us to be losing money on the fees...

Unread 01-08-2019, 10:29 PM
The Stella Fella

Spreading payments over the period of the contract has made me think for a while that is why we seem to be offering new players (and previous managers where compo May have been due) extra long contracts like 5/6 years +1 (to prevent player leaving for free.

Reduce the monthly payments...it’s like getting a TV from Martins Dawes at £11.00 per week ffs.

But even if it’s £10m more, spread over a 5yr deal it’s £40k a week more.

Unread 02-08-2019, 05:35 PM
redhegemony

So another one in and at least one more when Lukaku goes and possibly a centre mid.

Looking positive.

Next job shift the Deadwood which is easier as other transfer windows open longer.

Unread 02-08-2019, 07:28 PM
AK14

James
AWB
Maguire
Mandzucic
Dybala

Imagine if we pull it off

Would still have liked a midfielder or two tbh.

Unread 02-08-2019, 07:40 PM
Vedder

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
James
AWB
Maguire
Mandzucic
Dybala

We’ll still finish outside the top four

Unread 02-08-2019, 07:40 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vedder
We’ll still finish outside the top four
imagine

Unread 02-08-2019, 07:41 PM
Clownbones

Quote:
James
AWB
Maguire
Mandzucic
Dybala

All of the above needed addressing and midfield.

So if we can deal with 5 out of 6 problems in one window, ridding ourselves of Lukaku and spending around £150m then that is a summer beyond most people's expectations.

Unread 02-08-2019, 07:49 PM
Vedder

Quote:
James
AWB
Maguire
Mandzucic
Dybala

Yeah but when Pogba leaves we’re back to square one. He’s the only one who can create anything, scores a good amount too.
Closed Thread