Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 07-02-2021, 12:22 AM
Hank Scorpio

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_knight
f***ing useless c***.
Captain my ass.
Only thing he should captain is that plane that lands on his forehead.
Pity the ball can't ever land on his forehead in our own box.

Unread 07-02-2021, 12:27 AM
Vedder

Him and Lindelof together are a £#%&!ing nightmare

Unread 07-02-2021, 09:41 AM
Tuco

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_knight
£#%&!ing useless @#%&!.
Captain my ass.
Only thing he should captain is that plane that lands on his forehead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
Good accurate assessment

Unread 07-02-2021, 09:50 AM
Tronics

The weird thing with Maguire is his positive attributes are really £#%&!ing good

He’s a £#%&!ing beast in the air, he’s good in 1 on 1 duels and considering how slow he is he rarely gets beaten for pace BUT he’s still shit

He legit might be the worst captain we’ve had in recent years.

Unread 07-02-2021, 11:26 AM
utd99

I really wanted this guy to be the solution - I’ve made plenty of excuses for him, but it may be time to concede he’s not. As much as they became poster children for our malaise, we conceded fewer goals with Smalling, Jones and Rojo at the back.

Unread 07-02-2021, 11:27 AM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
I really wanted this guy to be the solution - I’ve made plenty of excuses for him, but it may be time to concede he’s not. As much as they became poster children for our malaise, we conceded fewer goals with Smalling, Jones and Rojo at the back.
When we were playing for 0-0's every week under van gaal?

Unread 07-02-2021, 11:29 AM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
When we were playing for 0-0's every week under van gaal?
We still had to defend. This lot are like the keystone cops at times.

Unread 07-02-2021, 11:33 AM
AK14

Quote:
We had one of the best defensive records out the top European leagues last season.

I think looking at De Gea’s stats and being the Keeper that’s faced the least amount of shots out of the big 6 clubs but has the second worst save % in the league pretty much show where the problem is.

Stats are overused in today’s game but there’s no hiding from ones like the above. Pretty much shows the defence is doing their part in restricting shots at goal.

Unread 07-02-2021, 11:43 AM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
We had one of the best defensive records out the top European leagues last season.

I think looking at De Gea’s stats and being the Keeper that’s faced the least amount of shots out of the big 6 clubs but has the second worst save % in the league pretty much show where the problem is.

Stats are overused in today’s game but there’s no hiding from ones like the above. Pretty much shows the defence is doing their part in restricting shots at goal.
Stats can only tell you so much. You’re not going to concede every time you make mistakes, are out of position or an utter shambles. The Brighton away game was the most obvious example of that. We were out of position the entire game yet won it.

In all honesty could you ever envisage a team with Rio, Kompany or VvD conceding a goal like the one we did against Istanbul? It was a low point, but the fact we even have that in us is scary, and anyone who thinks Bailly is the solution is on drugs.

Unread 07-02-2021, 11:45 AM
dunk

Quote:

Also shows that the chances we do give away and the shots we do allow are far too easy, nailed on goals. Not half chances or wonder goals, harder to miss situations. Or the goalkeeper is a limp wristed floaty curtain of a #@&%!.

Unread 07-02-2021, 11:49 AM
AK14

Quote:
Stats can only tell you so much. You’re not going to concede every time you make mistakes, are out of position or an utter shambles. The Brighton away game was the most obvious example of that. We were out of position the entire game yet won it.

In all honesty could you ever envisage a team with Rio, Kompany or VvD conceding a goal like the one we did against Istanbul? It was a low point, but the fact we even have that in us is scary, and anyone who thinks Bailly is the solution is on drugs.
We were a shambles at the very start of the season

Lack of pre season was as the excuse and looks like it could be right tbf

Last few months we’ve been okay at the back imo, obviously okay isn’t good enough to win a championship but that where we’re at.

But stats like the above are there for all to see and clearly point to a bigger problem than who is at CB imo.

Unread 07-02-2021, 11:55 AM
utd99

Quote:
We were a shambles at the very start of the season

Lack of pre season was as the excuse and looks like it could be right tbf

Last few months we’ve been okay at the back imo, obviously okay isn’t good enough to win a championship but that where we’re at.

But stats like the above are there for all to see and clearly point to a bigger problem than who is at CB imo.
A problem with the keeper doesn’t preclude a problem at CB. We have both, clearly.

I can buy pre season being a problem with fitness levels, but you don’t un-learn the game between seasons. Our organisation has been shocking at times.

Unread 07-02-2021, 11:59 AM
AK14

Quote:
A problem with the keeper doesn’t preclude a problem at CB. We have both, clearly.

I can buy pre season being a problem with fitness levels, but you don’t un-learn the game between seasons. Our organisation has been shocking at times.
Obviously

But the bigger problem is our keeper.

Cost us two goals last night
One (actually had a part to play in the second iirc?) against Sheffield United

Unread 07-02-2021, 12:04 PM
utd99

Quote:
Obviously

But the bigger problem is our keeper.

Cost us two goals last night
One (actually had a part to play in the second iirc?) against Sheffield United
De Gea’s done. I don’t think there’s many who’d disagree at this point.

Unread 07-02-2021, 12:04 PM
AK14

Quote:
De Gea’s done. I don’t think there’s many who’d disagree at this point.
Woodward probably

Gunna be hard to shift him on those wages.

Unread 07-02-2021, 12:10 PM
utd99

Quote:
Woodward probably

Gunna be hard to shift him on those wages.
Well unlucky. I’m sure he’s used to having to manage his own #@&%! ups by now.

I doubt very much that Henderson would have re-upped without some assurance of an opportunity, especially with Chelsea lurking. Maybe now’s the time.

Unread 07-02-2021, 12:13 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
James’ free shot for the 2nd came from pretty much the same place as Burke’s free shot that was Sheff United’s 2nd. Completely free, 12 yards from goal. That’s not DdG. That happens far too often.
Fred standing there pointing for Rashford to close down iirc?

Fred was shit when he came on.

Unread 07-02-2021, 12:17 PM
dunk

Quote:
Fred standing there pointing for Rashford to close down iirc?

Fred was shit when he came on.
Not sure who is to blame tbh, just an example of our defending giving away quality chances to the opposition.

How often the opposition scores with barely any attempts or concerted pressure is telling. Leeds should’ve scored 6 themselves, for instance. We gift golden chances all the time. Brighton is another one where rank bad defending had us under pressure constantly.

Unread 07-02-2021, 12:23 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Not sure who is to blame tbh, just an example of our defending giving away quality chances to the opposition.

How often the opposition scores with barely any attempts or concerted pressure is telling. Leeds should’ve scored 6 themselves, for instance. We gift golden chances all the time. Brighton is another one where rank bad defending had us under pressure constantly.
They’re just not good enough. Where we are right now I’d say that if we could only sign one player player for one position it would be a marquee CB. Someone who does the basics flawlessly, can organise and lead by example.

Unread 07-02-2021, 12:31 PM
dunk

Quote:
They’re just not good enough. Where we are right now I’d say that if we could only sign one player player for one position it would be a marquee CB. Someone who does the basics flawlessly, can organise and lead by example.
If only such an animal existed.
Closed Thread