United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 22-07-2019, 04:00 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranier Wolfcastle
Manager knows best is a odd argument when debating on a football forum ... why bother discussing anything at all.
I don’t think anyone has even remotely suggested not discussing anything, simply that in these discussions we should acknowledge the fact that we’re morons who have no idea what we’re talking about. The “authority fallacy” argument is a straw-man false equivalency. Of course someone who does more research is more of an authority ffs. A Leicester supporter would be more of an ‘authority’ just by dint of actually watching the @#%&!.

Unread 22-07-2019, 04:33 PM
Clownbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
You may think it’s shit, but that’s just because it discredits your opinion. It discredits all of our opinions. That doesn’t mean it isn’t true. Of course we’re still at liberty to discuss whatever we want, but our opinions are deeply flawed. I’ve seen people on here slag off players they’ve never seen kick a ball. Usually it’s because City aren’t in for them or they don’t play for a qualified team. Accept it, we’re morons playing back-seat billy.

Unless of course you’re suggesting that more research, more analysis and more experience doesn’t actually lead to better information.

I’m not sure I really get the argument. Are you suggesting that -as United supporters who watch the team every minute of every game - we’re not in a better position to judge Smalling or Jones than we are to judge Maguire who you’ve probably seen a couple of times a season, and usually in highlights? Isn’t this point self evident, or am I missing something?

Of course they can be wrong and of course some transfers may not work out, but to acknowledge that there is a universe of difference between their homework and ours shouldn’t hurt your ego so much that you deny it. It’s just true ffs.

It doesn't discredit my opinion at all. Certainly no more than Ole liking Lingard where you don't, discredits yours.

I can only assume you have misunderstood me because nothing you've posted makes any sense in relation to what I took issue with.

I took issue with your point that we have to support and trust Ole simply because he does more research and takes more time analysing players than we do (which I'm sure he does)

I'm saying that's a shit argument not because it invalidates any point of mine.... I'm saying it's shit because it's an appeal to authority fallacy that THINKS it invalidates an argument.

It doesn't.

Which is why I used the Lingard example (chosen just because its you. It could be anyone or anything that any of us don't see Ole's wisdom in).

The parallels or lack of between watching a Leicester player and watching a United player have no relevance to your argument that Ole knows better.

Ole being more thorough than me on checking out Maguire, no more invalidates my opinion any more than Ole knowing lingard better than you do invalidates yours. It doesn't matter how many times you've watched him for United, Ole knows him better than you etc.

It's crappy thinking, regardless of one's stance on an issue.

If we simply apply this logic across the board, to any argument, then there is never a discussion to be had. We can never question the wisdom of any manager because they are all more experienced and have their ear closer to the ground than we do.

Unread 22-07-2019, 04:35 PM
Bunker Buster

£#%&! it
Buy him
Close the thread
These two have gone all QI on us.

Unread 22-07-2019, 04:37 PM
Clownbones

Quote:
I don’t think anyone has even remotely suggested not discussing anything, simply that in these discussions we should acknowledge the fact that we’re morons who have no idea what we’re talking about. The “authority fallacy” argument is a straw-man false equivalency. Of course someone who does more research is more of an authority ffs. A Leicester supporter would be more of an ‘authority’ just by dint of actually watching the @#%&!.
That's more or less the fallacy right there.

Unread 22-07-2019, 04:57 PM
dunk

Got a sneaky feeling he’ll end up at City...

Unread 22-07-2019, 05:19 PM
barca99

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Yep, taking too long, even by uniteds standards. I mean how hard can it be ffs.

My guess is united have probably had an offer accepted and offered him a contract but hes holding out for city. City playing hard ball because they know he wants to go their.

Unread 22-07-2019, 05:32 PM
Billy Bigbollox

Quote:
At which point he will no doubt morph into a world class defender who we missed out on instead of a useless slab headed tosser

Unread 22-07-2019, 05:33 PM
Ranier Wolfcastle

Quote:
We can hope

Unread 22-07-2019, 05:39 PM
Tiberian

If this does end up happening I am not sure Lindelöf and Maguire is a certain partnership. Some elements of their games work together, Lindelöf prefers RCB, Maguire LCB, Lindelöf is more passive and reactive while Maguire is much more aggressive, Lindelöf more of an organizer, Maguire great in the air. Lack of pace though could be a problem, particularly if Utd go into the season with Matic in front of them, that could get ugly, especially if Maguire starts his wandering runs forward, they look good but he struggles badly to get back when it breaks down.

Matic being replaced becomes even more essential if that is the starting CB pair.

Unread 22-07-2019, 05:39 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownbones
That's more or less the fallacy right there.
If you can properly describe where the fallacy is in someone who has more information being better informed -and therefore better equipped to judge- than someone who doesn't then I will gladly admit I'm wrong. I never once suggested you don't opine; just know your opinion is shit, just like mine would be, because we haven't watched the £#%&!er - others however have. What do you think of Fernandes?

Lingard however, I have watched, and he's shit.

Anyway, we'd better wrap this up now. Stat-£#%&!er is starting to chime in again; he'll probably roll out some numbers that indicate we should be bidding for Luvren.

Unread 22-07-2019, 05:53 PM
Clownbones

Quote:
If you can properly describe where the fallacy is in someone who has more information being better informed -and therefore better equipped to judge- than someone who doesn't then I will gladly admit I'm wrong. I never once suggested you don't opine; just know your opinion is shit, just like mine would be, because we haven't watched the £#%&!er - others however have. What do you think of Fernandes?

Lingard however, I have watched, and he's shit.

Anyway, we'd better wrap this up now. Stat-£#%&!er is starting to chime in again; he'll probably roll out some numbers that indicate we should be bidding for Luvren.
I haven't seen much of Fernandes. I've seen plenty of Maguire. Enough to form an opinion.

As much as Solskjaer? No, but that doesn't discredit the opinion or act as any other form of argument other than the aforementioned fallacy.

Mate, just Google the fallacy and you'll see its it's exactly what you're doing now ... i don't need to describe it. I suspect you don't know what it means.

Again, using your reasoning, it doesn't matter how much you've seen Lingard. Ole has seen him more, sees him every day etc. He knows better than you. He's in a better position to make a decision on him that you are. Your opinion on Lingard must also be shit. Ole trumps 99ers.

It also means that every single Leicester City's fan opinion is more valid than our's, regardless of if they're a £#%&!ing moron.

Unread 22-07-2019, 05:55 PM
utd99

Quote:
I haven't seen much of Fernandes. I've seen plenty of Maguire. Enough to form an opinion.

As much as Solskjaer? No, but that doesn't discredit the opinion or act as any other form of argument other than the aforementioned fallacy.

Mate, just Google the fallacy and you'll see its it's exactly what you're doing now ... i don't need to describe it. I suspect you don't know what it means.

Again, using your reasoning, it doesn't matter how much you've seen Lingard. Ole has seen him more, sees him every day etc. He knows better than you. He's in a better position to make a decision on him that you are.
He is indeed. I just hope it doesn't get him fired.

I'm off to let google do your reasoning for you. Out.

Unread 22-07-2019, 05:58 PM
Clownbones

Quote:
He is indeed. I just hope it doesn't get him fired.

I'm off to let google do your reasoning for you. Out.
I don't need to reason it, mate. I've described several times in the previous posts what my issue is with your reasoning, what that reasoning is and I suspect your resistance stems from not knowing what it is.

Feel free to Google or don't. I've done my bit.

Have an evening.

Unread 22-07-2019, 06:00 PM
Sparky***

Two weeks until the window shuts.

“Ole’s list.”

£#%&! me.

Unread 22-07-2019, 06:04 PM
Clownbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***

“Ole’s list.”

£#%&! me.
Wrong thread

Unread 22-07-2019, 06:05 PM
suedeshoes

Quote:

He's signing for United NQAT

Unread 22-07-2019, 06:06 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Wrong thread
Wrong.

Unread 22-07-2019, 06:07 PM
Clownbones

Quote:
Wrong.
Thread

What part of your post relates to a player we're about to sign?

Actually, never mind. '£#%&! me' covers it quite well.

Unread 22-07-2019, 06:44 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by suedeshoes
He's signing for United NQAT
City need a block head to replace Kompany/they don’t have faith in Stones and Pep was talking about not talking about signing Maguire yesterday...

Have they only signed Rodri and that LB so far?

Unread 22-07-2019, 06:49 PM
puressence

Quote:

“Ole’s list.”

£#%&! me.
17 days actually
Closed Thread