United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 22-07-2019, 01:39 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhombre
Can someone summarise where we’re up to with this?
We've signed him for the last 2 Sundays in succession, but he's training with Leicester.

Nothing will happen until after the tour imo.

Unread 22-07-2019, 01:42 PM
Buck

Here he is getting beaten in a race by Fatima Whitbread

Unread 22-07-2019, 01:46 PM
elhombre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck
Here he is getting beaten in a race by Fatima Whitbread

That’s eleven out of Stranger Things

And has he got a mullet there?

Unread 22-07-2019, 01:48 PM
utd99

Cheeky bid for Fatima?

Unread 22-07-2019, 01:49 PM
waynes ear's

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
Cheeky bid for Fatima?

Unread 22-07-2019, 01:50 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes ear's

Just sell him for whatever’s bid ffs.

Unread 22-07-2019, 01:51 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes ear's
£#%&!s sake, is that £56m still on the table? bite their £#%&!ing hands off.

in fact, get Rojo to drive him there but only put enough petrol in the tank for the journey there and cancel his mufc fuel card.

throw Darmian in the boot gagged and bound as well.

Unread 22-07-2019, 01:54 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip Hubley
£#%&!s sake, is that £56m still on the table? bite their £#%&!ing hands off.

in fact, get Rojo to drive him there but only put enough petrol in the tank for the journey there and cancel his mufc fuel card.

throw Darmian in the boot gagged and bound as well.
Honestly can't believe we can't trade off 6 or 7 of this squad for fees/better players currently plying their trades at 'lower' clubs..

Unread 22-07-2019, 01:57 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Honestly can't believe we can't trade off 6 or 7 of this squad for fees/better players currently plying their trades at 'lower' clubs..
It’s the wages that £#%&! us. We should theoretically be able to sell Rojo, Bailly and Jones and recoup the fee for Maguire, but no one wants to pay the ridiculous wages we give them.

Unread 22-07-2019, 01:58 PM
waynes ear's

Quote:
It’s the wages that £#%&! us. We should theoretically be able to sell Rojo, Bailly and Jones and recoup the fee for Maguire, but no one wants to pay the ridiculous wages we give them.
pay them to £#%&! off.

Unread 22-07-2019, 02:00 PM
dunk

Quote:
I doubt Bailly's wages are that daft. Keep hearing he's heading to Lyon..

Unread 22-07-2019, 02:04 PM
Clownbones

Quote:
How you feel about this really depends on your perspective. I get the doubt, I do, but this is now two managers in a row that have scouted him and like what they see. I’m pretty sure they’ve done a lot more research than simply seeing him a few times in random games where you’re not really paying attention anyway.

No one likes the idea of 80m, but the market is the market. You need a player, the other club doesn’t need to sell. No doubt it’ll be something like 40m up front with 5m per season after that and 20m in various add ons that we won’t care about if he/we are performing. We have almost 700m in turnover and the sky deal was always going to make things insane. Would it be a good deal at 60? Who knows? Like every other transfer in history, the fee only matters or gets brought up again if it doesn’t work out.

I think back to the greatest centre backs of the Fergie era, and i’m pretty confident if this place had existed 30 odd years ago this forum would have wanted none of them. Bruce, cart horse. Pallister, gangly who’s only good in the air. Ferdinand, lacks concentration and makes too many errors. Vidic, turns like an oil tanker. Stam, who? Fold the club.

We have to trust that Ole has done his homework. This is what supporting the manager looks like.
I don't think discussing the merits of a signing is not supporting the manager.

I like what Ole is doing. I like his attitude and the type of player we're after. I just don't in this case. If we sign him, then I'll be fully behind him and hope that my judgement is wrong. I'll be open minded once he arrives.

As for the 'manager knows better' argument. Isn't that a bit of a lazy argument? You could apply that to anything and kill all discussion with it.

The same idea could be applied to the selection of Jesse lingard every week, and we all know what you think about him

I do agree that a players fee and worth can only be determined after the fact. We wont know if he's worth it until his tenure here is done.

One thing I will say for Maguire is that he seems to be quite positive on the pitch. Something of a leader. I don't think he'll shrink if he makes the moves. He seems like quite an ambitious lad.

Unread 22-07-2019, 02:08 PM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
https://youtu.be/g8zzaaoIUXE

If this happens I think he’ll have a great season and go onto be poty...
Never really watched the galoot before but two minutes of that video (muted) tells me all I needed to know.

He's x7 the player Smalling is. Pretty much everything Jones was meant to be, but isn't.

Purchase pls.

Unread 22-07-2019, 02:11 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownbones
As for the 'manager knows better' argument. Isn't that a bit of a lazy argument? You could apply that to anything and kill all discussion with it.

The same idea could be applied to the selection of Jesse lingard every week, and we all know what you think about him
No, because it’s a fact. You can’t even compare the universe we operate in with the amount of research that goes into an 80m pound bid. They will have dissected every minute thing the fella’s ever done; we can’t compare that to casually watching Leicester highlights and the odd England game where we’re not even really paying attention. Like I say, there are few centre backs we’ve had that would have been approved of on here ahead of their signing.

I was wondering how long it would take you to bring up Lingard. The difference is that this is OUR player who HAS been stinking up the place for four years. The other hasn’t kicked a ball for us yet. I wanted Lingard to do well because I’m a United supporter - he just didn’t; far from it.

Rest assured, if and when Maguire has been producing Lingard performances for us for four or five seasons I’ll be right there with ya.

Unread 22-07-2019, 02:19 PM
Cream

Quote:
No, because it’s a fact. You can’t even compare the universe we operate in with the amount of research that goes into an 80m pound bid. They will have dissected every minute thing the fella’s ever done; we can’t compare that to casually watching Leicester highlights and the odd England game where we’re not even really paying attention. Like I say, there are few centre backs we’ve had that would have been approved of on here ahead of their signing.

I was wondering how long it would take you to bring up Lingard. The difference is that this is OUR player who HAS been stinking up the place for four years. The other hasn’t kicked a ball for us yet. I wanted Lingard to do well because I’m a United supporter - he just didn’t; far from it.

Rest assured, if and when Maguire has been producing Lingard performances for us for four or five seasons I’ll be right there with ya.
A glowing reference for Fred, if anything.

Unread 22-07-2019, 02:20 PM
Clownbones

Quote:

I'm not contesting the fact they watch him more than I do. I'm saying it's a shit argument.

It's essentially an appeal to authority fallacy.

Ole knows better, so basically shut up.

And what difference does it make that we've seen lingard for United? It's simply applying the same logic. If you trust Ole and support him on the players he scouts, then you should support him on the players he sees day and day out.

You cant cherry-pick when his experience and work is relevant and when it isn't.

And managers are wrong. A lot.

Unread 22-07-2019, 03:17 PM
Ranier Wolfcastle

Manager knows best is a odd argument when debating on a football forum ... why bother discussing anything at all.

The best United manager of modern times thought it was a good idea to sign Young, Bebe and Smalling whilst our rivals signed Aguero, Hazard and Company ffs and we could all see how stupid that was

Unread 22-07-2019, 03:22 PM
utd99

You may think it’s shit, but that’s just because it discredits your opinion. It discredits all of our opinions. That doesn’t mean it isn’t true. Of course we’re still at liberty to discuss whatever we want, but our opinions are deeply flawed. I’ve seen people on here slag off players they’ve never seen kick a ball. Usually it’s because City aren’t in for them or they don’t play for a qualified team. Accept it, we’re morons playing back-seat billy.

Unless of course you’re suggesting that more research, more analysis and more experience doesn’t actually lead to better information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownbones
And what difference does it make that we've seen lingard for United? It's simply applying the same logic. If you trust Ole and support him on the players he scouts, then you should support him on the players he sees day and day out.
I’m not sure I really get the argument. Are you suggesting that -as United supporters who watch the team every minute of every game - we’re not in a better position to judge Smalling or Jones than we are to judge Maguire who you’ve probably seen a couple of times a season, and usually in highlights? Isn’t this point self evident, or am I missing something?

Of course they can be wrong and of course some transfers may not work out, but to acknowledge that there is a universe of difference between their homework and ours shouldn’t hurt your ego so much that you deny it. It’s just true ffs.

Unread 22-07-2019, 03:36 PM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranier Wolfcastle
Manager knows best is a odd argument when debating on a football forum ... why bother discussing anything at all.

The best United manager of modern times thought it was a good idea to sign Young, Bebe and Smalling whilst our rivals signed Aguero, Hazard and Company ffs and we could all see how stupid that was
Firstly, you've pitted three Fergie signings against signings from two seperate clubs.

Secondly, we wanted Hazard.

Thirdly, we also signed Chicharito that summer.

A terrible post, Herr Wolfcastle.

Unread 22-07-2019, 03:44 PM
Ranier Wolfcastle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream
Firstly, you've pitted three Fergie signings against signings from two seperate clubs.

Secondly, we wanted Hazard.

Thirdly, we also signed Chicharito that summer.

A terrible post, Herr Wolfcastle.
I was talking about a general time period of a few years, not one summer.

Why would we not compare our own transfer activity to that of our rivals? Our transfers post 2007 summer are a huge factor in our being caught up to and left behind
Closed Thread