United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football

Unread 22-03-2021, 01:42 AM
tatty

I don't think this is going to work out for VdB.

What position is he supposed to fill? He hasn't got a great engine, he doesn't have great technique, he isn't physically dominant.

He'll end up on the fringes for a few years before we get rid.

Unread 22-03-2021, 02:36 AM
marlo

no matter how bad Fred or The Scottish Player play you’d never pick vdb over either of them to hold the midfield...
no matter how bad pogba or Bruno play you’d never need a goal or creativity and want vdb playing instead of either of them....

when he is on the pitch, you literally don’t know where he is or what he is doing.
he also can’t run and even attempted a pass over 10 yards...

but yeah he’ll come good next season.

Unread 22-03-2021, 04:05 AM
shenwen

anonymous, again.

All that pointing and his team mates still don't want to pass to him.

It's not going to work out is it?

Unread 22-03-2021, 07:06 AM
windy waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen

All that pointing and his team mates still don't want to pass to him.
Said this a few weeks ago and got told it wasn't true...

It's hard to watch...

Club need to cut their losses and get rid. One of the strangest signings we have ever made. Wasn't even needed and one of the only times I've seen a side not want to pass to someone in their team whenever he plays...

Very odd.

Unread 22-03-2021, 07:10 AM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy waffles
Said this a few weeks ago and got told it wasn't true...

It's hard to watch...

Club need to cut their losses and get rid. One of the strangest signings we have ever made. Wasn't even needed and one of the only times I've seen a side not want to pass to someone in their team whenever he comes into the team.

Very odd.
I don't think the no passing thing is intentional. It's just that he takes up bad positions. He's also completely risk averse. Stage too big?

I thought it was a good signing. On paper.

Hasn't worked out. Can't even see any hints that it might still work out. Reckon some of our U23s would have more impact right now.

Unread 22-03-2021, 10:00 AM
Mr_Ed

Think he needs a run at CM to be fair... Bruno is exceptional at finding space and scoring. His passing is largely OK but when he stinks he stinks.

Anyway is DVB going to be worse on the ball than Fred? Give him a run there - he can’t be worse than any of the three who completely ballsed up yesterday against Leicester?

Makes you wonder if he was an Ed signing or an Ole signing given the lack of game time.

Then again do our tactics and formation get the best out of Mason, Martial, Rashford?

Unread 22-03-2021, 10:30 AM
92ToBury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
Think he needs a run at CM to be fair... Bruno is exceptional at finding space and scoring. His passing is largely OK but when he stinks he stinks.

Anyway is DVB going to be worse on the ball than Fred? Give him a run there - he can’t be worse than any of the three who completely ballsed up yesterday against Leicester?

Makes you wonder if he was an Ed signing or an Ole signing given the lack of game time.

Then again do our tactics and formation get the best out of Mason, Martial, Rashford?
This, completely.

Definitely needs a run of games to prove himself, rather than people judging him on cameo sub appearances or games in a non-standard selection.

Cannot pass worse than Fred, totally agree. But as a bigger picture, we need to reassess this passing out from the back shite in general. Too much risk for very little, if any, reward.

Martial, when played up front, drifts out wide too often. Fine when we've got two strikers but not in our current formation. If he does drift out wide to draw centre-backs, we need other players making a run down a central channel that Martial has cleared for us. Just feels like we have four strikers in Greenwood, Rashford, Martial and Cavani when we only have one striking role. None of them cross a ball particularly well, so some sort of rethink is needed.

Unread 22-03-2021, 01:12 PM
Dasilvatwins

He seems to love to to slow the play and pass back. Maybe something he was taught using his Ajax days. Doesn’t really show for the ball or attempt to take any risk on.

Granted it was the right decision even in the box he steps over the ball and leaves it for Greenwood. It’s probably a confidence thing that won’t change till next season. He needs to impose himself a bit, however rare it is for him to get mind he needs to show that he wants them bad.

Every time you see him play the game goes by him , no heavy intense press or desire to want to show the world what he can do .

Unread 22-03-2021, 01:52 PM
Lok

If we replace Fred with him, our midfield will be completely overrun and we will concede goals for fun. Fred's passing isn't good enough but his work without the ball is outstanding. VDB doesn't have that in him. Not sure we have anyone else in the team who can do what Fred does.

The Scottish Player is probably who he is fighting with to start games. Whilst VDB might possess better vision and passing range (yet to be seen though), he lacks the dynamism, aggression and sheer will to win that The Scottish Player brings.

It has been a terrible transfer for everyone so far. Hard to see how it can turn around.

Unread 22-03-2021, 01:59 PM
sweetleftfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by lok
if we replace fred with him, our midfield will be completely overrun and we will concede goals for fun. Fred's passing isn't good enough but his work without the ball is outstanding. Vdb doesn't have that in him. Not sure we have anyone else in the team who can do what fred does.

The Scottish Player is probably who he is fighting with to start games. Whilst vdb might possess better vision and passing range (yet to be seen though), he lacks the dynamism, aggression and sheer will to win that The Scottish Player brings.

It has been a terrible transfer for everyone so far. Hard to see how it can turn around.
So were saying IP1 2BP ?

Unread 22-03-2021, 02:09 PM
guerreiro

Did anyone actually see him play for Ajax? Don’t think I did apart from a couple of highlights.

I thought he was supposed to be a dynamic, hard running, dynamo which is why their fans loved him. He looks like a lovely mild lad with learning disabilities for us.

Unread 22-03-2021, 02:13 PM
Dasilvatwins

Quote:
Originally Posted by guerreiro
Did anyone actually see him play for Ajax? Don’t think I did apart from a couple of highlights.

I thought he was supposed to be a dynamic, hard running, dynamo which is why their fans loved him. He looks like a lovely mild lad with learning disabilities for us.
Fits in to a possession based team who doesn’t need to tackle hard or do something out of the ordinary . Would fit in Ajax/Man City/Barcelona . When teams have 65%+ of the possession all he has to do is hover and link the passes.

Much of our style relies on pace and strength and a high intensity (when we pull it off) . He doesn’t excel in any of those areas. He isn’t quick /strong or an exceptional match winner.

Would still give him a pass this season and see how he fits in next .

Unread 22-03-2021, 02:22 PM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lok
If we replace Fred with him, our midfield will be completely overrun and we will concede goals for fun. Fred's passing isn't good enough but his work without the ball is outstanding. VDB doesn't have that in him. Not sure we have anyone else in the team who can do what Fred does.

The Scottish Player is probably who he is fighting with to start games. Whilst VDB might possess better vision and passing range (yet to be seen though), he lacks the dynamism, aggression and sheer will to win that The Scottish Player brings.

Minded to agree. Exactly where does he fit in?

Could do with some input from Bunks if we’re being honest. Knows the lad inside out.

Unread 22-03-2021, 02:27 PM
Dasilvatwins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream
Minded to agree. Exactly where does he fit in?

Could do with some input from Bunks if we’re being honest. Knows the lad inside out.
I think at best he might fit in as a third CM in a 433 but ole never plays that and won’t switch it just to fit him in. Maybe he came in as Brunos cover? If Bruno gets injured you have pogba and VDB who can play number 10 .pogba tends to be injured himself 60% of the season and you would probably be reluctant to move pogba from CM as Fred and The Scottish Player are one dimensional and need a player who can play next to them

Unread 22-03-2021, 02:51 PM
Vida_15

Papers bringing him up today in a player plus cash deal to Dortmund for Haaland

Unread 23-03-2021, 12:01 AM
n48

I think he was/has been bought with the intention of linking up with Sancho and another dedicated winger. Even better if a decent striker is signed. I think it's unfair to judge him based on the current system and playing staff. Get decent wingers and forwards in then you can play him alongside Bruno and a defensive player and he'll play much better with intelligent forwards and widemen to thread passes through to.

Unread 23-03-2021, 12:07 AM
Stickman

I feel like 10 years from now we'll talk about how strange this whole affair was. I'd be amazed if he remains here for next season. Talk about your stock taking a hit.

Unread 23-03-2021, 12:14 AM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by n48
I think he was/has been bought with the intention of linking up with Sancho
That sounds more plausible than many other theories tbh.

Unread 23-03-2021, 12:27 AM
tatty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vida_15
Papers bringing him up today in a player plus cash deal to Dortmund for Haaland
VdB + £100m for Haaland would be a great bit of business.

Or VdB + Fred + £125m.

Unread 23-03-2021, 01:44 AM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
That sounds more plausible than many other theories tbh.
Quite.