United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 30-09-2023, 08:36 PM
marlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastvan
I do not understand why the club bought Mount over Maddison? (Other than maybe defensive reasons)

Mind you I do not also understand why the club bought another attacking midfielder to fill the number 8 role?

I remember getting laughed off the park, on social media for advocating for Maddison, because supposed you tube football experts like Mark Goldbridge didn't rate him and thought Mount was better, and because Mount was good enough to start for Southgate's national team.

Can we safely say now that the main man is a better player than Mount, or at the very least an equal?
Eth is perfect in every way.

To say the majority of signings don’t make sense is almost blasphemy.

Unread 30-09-2023, 08:46 PM
westcoastvan

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo
Eth is perfect in every way.

To say the majority of signings don’t make sense is almost blasphemy.
I think it's fair to question playing Mount as an 8, Amrabat as a full back, selling De Gea when you have an injury prone defense.

I also think his work ethic system is great for a club like Manchester City that can field two starting 11's, but the work demands & competition in the Premier League are so high in comparison to the Dutch league

....I was waiting for the penny to drop on injuries and exhaustion.

Unread 30-09-2023, 08:53 PM
marlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastvan
I think it's fair to question playing Mount as an 8, Amrabat as a full back, selling De Gea when you have an injury prone defense.

I also think his work ethic system is great for a club like Manchester City that can field two starting 11's, but the work demands & competition in the Premier League are so high in comparison to the Dutch league

....I was waiting for the penny to drop on injuries and exhaustion.
It’s forbidden but it would be interesting to see what ETH is actually doing well….

we are a squad of full internationals from the best nations in the world yet non international filled teams are beating us regularly.

Unread 30-09-2023, 09:06 PM
AK14

How can anyone judge who was the better signing two months into a season?

Maddison is a good player but as far as I’m aware plays a different role to Mount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo
It’s forbidden but it would be interesting to see what ETH is actually doing well….

we are a squad of full internationals from the best nations in the world yet non international filled teams are beating us regularly.
Tbf every team in the league is filled with international players these days.

Unread 30-09-2023, 09:10 PM
dunk

Mount has played 4 (?) games?

Unread 30-09-2023, 09:16 PM
Buck

Spurs got about 10m from Leicester for Harry Winks in a separate deal this summer so the price they paid for Maddison looks great. If we were doing succession planning for Bruno he would have been good. Creative, very direct, good set pieces, good dribbler. But I don't think Bruno is being phased it out any time soon and rather they're taking the workload off his back so he can keep him going at his creative best for more years. The fee for Mount was very steep given his contract situation at Chelsea but he showed when they won the CL he can be a key component in a pressing team both on and off the ball. It helps Maddison right now that he has two CMs behind him who are so far looking imperious.

Unread 30-09-2023, 09:32 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Mount has played 4 (?) games?

Unread 01-10-2023, 05:37 AM
shenwen

So instead on buying a player in a position we don't need, we should have bought a different player in a position we don't need.

Makes sense. Thanks lads.

Unread 01-10-2023, 08:43 AM
lenin

I like Maddison but there’s no way the increased profile that being at United would give him wouldn’t turn him into a total media @#%&! - allied to the culture of mediocrity we already excel at - I’m not sure we’d be seeing his best work much, if ever

Unread 01-10-2023, 09:25 AM
Patty_b

Wishful thinking to believe that Maddison would be performing to the same standard in this United team. It's not fantasy football.
Closed Thread