United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 26-10-2014, 08:27 PM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
He looked a way short of Matic today who was playing the same role for Chelsea.
%@#$&!s.

Unread 26-10-2014, 09:02 PM
armchair

Matic is a phenomenal athlete but Blind is by far the better and more intelligent footballer.

Unread 26-10-2014, 09:06 PM
The Watcher

Wonder how Siders will respond to this savage bttt from Ethers.

Unread 26-10-2014, 09:21 PM
Neo

I liked the look of this guy at the World Cup, but I have to say, I'm not fully convinced he's the answer for us. I'm not sure we would have even signed him if Carrick didn't get injured, either.

Hopefully he will grow into English football, but he does tend to get outpaced by opposition runners through midfield. His passing needs to be a lot more expansive, too. It's all well and good keeping things tidy and ticking over, but at the top level, the best holding midfielders have a wonderful passing range.

Look at the way players like Busquets, Kroos, Alonso and Pirlo dictate the play from that space in front of the centre-backs. That's the quality of holding midfielder United should have. I like him a lot, but I'm not convinced if Blind will get to that level.

Unread 26-10-2014, 10:12 PM
Fatboy Shrek

Far too slow. If either him or Mata take a first touch that is anything other than perfect they are pounced upon by opponents. Both have a 0-5mph time of 20 seconds.

Painful watching him run and between him and that clown playing alongside him central midfield is far too slow. This side needs a quick dominate player in the middle and a monster at the back. Not much more.

Unread 26-10-2014, 10:23 PM
Neo

That passage of play at the start of the 2nd half summed up my reservations over Blind. United tentatively passing the ball back-and-forth to De Gea, and struggling to build an attack from the back. A top-class holding midfielder would have dealt with that situation with ease.

I really like some of Blind's attributes - he is calm and measured in possession, and has excellent positional sense with a very intelligent reading of the game. However, if you compare him to Carrick, he isn't as good with his distribution.

I really want to see how Carrick performs in the holding role with Herrera and Di Maria alongside him in midfield. I think that system could work really well.

Unread 26-10-2014, 10:23 PM
Camel

blind was an excellent signing. even moreso considering our mid and defensive aspirations didn't come to fruition last window.

he will probably not be 1st choice in either of his preferred positions next season but will be an great option as a squad player. at last, we finally replaced o shea

Unread 26-10-2014, 11:11 PM
gbmufc

No engine. probably the slowest midfield player we have on the books. Consistantly "blows up" after 70 minutes which is one of the reasons we struggle through the final quarter of the majority of games. No one on the bench to replace him until now, Get Carrick on as soon as possible

Unread 26-10-2014, 11:19 PM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbmufc
No engine. probably the slowest midfield player we have on the books. Consistantly "blows up" after 70 minutes which is one of the reasons we struggle through the final quarter of the majority of games. No one on the bench to replace him until now, Get Carrick on as soon as possible

very harsh.

He reads the game well and doesnt really need pace.

I'd hardly say he's blowing out his arse after 70 mins. He's still new and adjusting to the league. He's settled into the midfield pretty seamlessly and that isn't easy.

its refreshing to see a united midfielder who is calm and clever on the ball. class finish the other night too.

He does need some help though.

I think people forget who we were playing today. chelsea have turned over everyone they've played this season. Ofcourse they're going to cause problems and dominate large parts of the game.

overall, we matched them and it was and fair result. not many (including myself) thought we'd do that.

barrington avenue

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbmufc

hahahahahah...wum

Ethers

Yes, he looked extremely 'blown up' when getting the equaliser from the edge of West Brom's area on monday night.

Unread 26-10-2014, 11:26 PM
S/Side.Red

They ran past him with ease all day. Want to like the lad, but we can do better in that role.

Unread 26-10-2014, 11:26 PM
Lazlo Panaflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Return of JC
very harsh.

I'd hardly say he's blowing out his arse after 70 mins. He's still new and adjusting to the league. He's settled into the midfield pretty seamlessly and that isn't easy.

its refreshing to see a united midfielder who is calm and clever on the ball. class finish the other night too.

I think people forget who we were playing today. chelsea have turned over everyone they've played this season. Ofcourse they're going to cause problems and dominate large parts of the game.

overall, we matched them and it was and fair result. not many (including myself) thought we'd do that.
Surprisingly decent post.

Unread 26-10-2014, 11:29 PM
The Return of JC

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazlo Panaflex
Surprisingly decent post.
Shut up

Unread 26-10-2014, 11:31 PM
Gruber

Top player, some daft £#%&!ing posts here

Unread 26-10-2014, 11:33 PM
Jethro

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Return of JC
very harsh.

Another big test to come next week, possibly with a more suitable partner. He and Herrera work well

Unread 26-10-2014, 11:39 PM
Rhodzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
They ran past him with ease all day. Want to like the lad, but we can do better in that role.
Like him then.

Unread 26-10-2014, 11:40 PM
irk

A knackered Everton strode past the handsome snail.

Unread 26-10-2014, 11:40 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodzy
Like him then.
Okay. He has to be a bit better first, though.

Unread 26-10-2014, 11:55 PM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Okay. He has to be a bit better first, though.
At what? Stopping players running past him? Very harsh, Chelsea are clearly an athletic team and have the edge there. He'd have to start fouling players to stop them going past him, and not sure giving away free kicks is a great tactic against Chelsea. For all the times they supposedly ghosted past him, they didn't do a lot with it. He also made a number of good interceptions, could have won a couple more tackles though.

On the ball he's been excellent in every game. Apparently his technique was going to fall apart when he came under pressure against the top teams, didn't see any evidence of that today though against what is apparently the best midfield in the league.
Closed Thread