United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 18-07-2013, 01:11 AM
Blagger

Default United's new media policy

So, presumably, the new United regime have decided to change the way in which they deal with the media during the transfer season. With daily briefings for the tabloid press, an increased amount 'leaks' - most of which are, quite frankly, extraordinarily unbelievable (Chelsea offering us Mata, for instance) - and various unsubtle attempts to play off the media spin, it looks like United have completed ditched Ferguson's silent treatment. In fact, during the end of Fergie's reign, the lengths to which he went to ensure that transfer news wasn't leaked were pretty noticeable IMO: I thought it was pretty clear there'd been a crackdown on leaks at the club. But throughout the past couple of days those lengths have obviously been disregarded.

What does everyone think about this? Should Ed Woodward quit playing Alistair Campbell, and remember he works for United now, not J.P. Morgan? Or are people happy about it?

I think I'm of the opinion that I don't mind United using media spin. But only if it's done well. Which it hasn't been: so far, the transfer activity (failing to sign Thiago, and then bidding for Fabregas the next day) and attempts to manipulate the media have come across as pretty juvenile. United should actively avoid transfer sagas, since they're rarely positive for either party. Yet it seems like a direct, swift approach in the market has been ditched for media games. Not good.

Unread 18-07-2013, 01:31 AM
ScarFace

Not mentioning transfers got us no where anyway.

We get who's willing to live in Cheshire for half the wages they could get else where.

Truth Bomb.

Unread 18-07-2013, 06:28 AM
jem

they're either ham£#%&!, incompetent £#%&!wits or very, very funny.

Unread 18-07-2013, 06:48 AM
Mr_Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
they're either ham£#%&!, incompetent £#%&!wits or very, very funny.
Or all of these rolled into one

Unread 18-07-2013, 07:15 AM
Mr Castro

I'm sure there's a reason for it. I'm not overly worried but it does make us more susceptible to the term media circus, especially with Rooney, which is why selling him early is best.

Unread 18-07-2013, 08:02 AM
saffers

The Mata/Luiz leak which seems to be most peoples basis to this argument that we are briefing like crazy did not come from United.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/f...y-8713599.html

Unread 18-07-2013, 08:13 AM
redrose

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarFace
Not mentioning transfers got us no where anyway.

We get who's willing to live in Cheshire for half the wages they could get else where.

Truth Bomb.
So someone is earning £500,000 pw in London somewhere are they? Based on rooneys reported earnings.

Unread 18-07-2013, 09:26 AM
dunk

Doesn't matter who said what or who leaked whatever, at the moment United look like £#%&!ing halfwits and are being strong armed into handing over one of their few remaining assets on the playing staff to a rival for a song, with no likelihood of a decent replacement.

£#%&!ing shocking.

Unread 18-07-2013, 09:31 AM
The Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Doesn't matter who said what or who leaked whatever, at the moment United look like £#%&!ing halfwits and are being strong armed into handing over one of their few remaining assets on the playing staff to a rival for a song, with no likelihood of a decent replacement.

"It's all part of the plan..."

Unread 18-07-2013, 09:34 AM
dunk

It's like Ian Hislop and William Hague procreated.

I hate him more than Kenyon already. I'd never tire of punching that face.

Unread 18-07-2013, 09:36 AM
Harri Jaffa

Depends on whether it works or not shirley?

Unread 18-07-2013, 09:47 AM
Blagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffers
The Mata/Luiz leak which seems to be most peoples basis to this argument that we are briefing like crazy did not come from United.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/f...y-8713599.html

Thought I saw Rory Smith tweeting about the United briefing yesterday. Next time you batter DT you should ask him what's going on.

Unread 18-07-2013, 09:49 AM
ericcantona

Quote:

£#%&!ing shocking.
You really should just stop watching football.

Unread 18-07-2013, 09:51 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericcantona
You should probably start.

Unread 18-07-2013, 09:52 AM
Rhodzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericcantona
G2C dunk getting some stick, all he does is £#%&!ing moan now.

Unread 18-07-2013, 09:53 AM
The Watcher

Quote:

Unread 18-07-2013, 09:54 AM
ericcantona

Quote:
That makes no sense but ok..

Seriously though, if it makes you this unhappy why bother? And we certainly don't need reminding in every post just how fed up you are with it..

Unread 18-07-2013, 09:55 AM
Harri Jaffa

Quote:
You bitch

Unread 18-07-2013, 09:55 AM
Barracuda

We've gone from one extreme to the other, big Dave Gill the accountant as straight up and down dull as you can get - and now we have this £#%&!ing gung-ho head the ball in charge, the lovechild of Kenyon and Gary Cook. It's all 'Carry On United' at present, a bit chaotic and shambolic but nonetheless quite amusing in a perverse kind of way.

Maybe the tactic is to talk complete shite and lie about everything to the press to send them all flying off in all kinds of directions while someone sorts things out on the quiet??

I can't see it, I think we'll ultimately £#%&! this whole transfer window up and end up with worse than what we started - but I'll give them a chance and see what happens...

Unread 18-07-2013, 09:56 AM
The Return of JC

Quote:
It's like Ian Hislop and William Hague procreated.

I hate him more than Kenyon already. I'd never tire of punching that face.
Oooh, love! Don't say that!
Closed Thread