United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 08-02-2023, 09:24 AM
guerreiro

Remember the 80’s and the dream of the Saudis buying us and bringing Maradona in. Never once did the ethics cross my mind, not sure they do now tbf.

It’s all a circus, might as well be the Ringmaster.

Unread 08-02-2023, 09:27 AM
Dasilvatwins

Quote:
Originally Posted by guerreiro
Remember the 80’s and the dream of the Saudis buying us and bringing Maradona in. Never once did the ethics cross my mind, not sure they do now tbf.

It’s all a circus, might as well be the Ringmaster.
Suppose this is another way of looking at it.

If there are 4/5 other billionaires , it’s “ levelling the playing field”

Unread 08-02-2023, 09:32 AM
atticusgrinch

You have to be realistic. If you want the Glazers gone, you need someone who can cough up £6B for the club and another £1B + for the stadium, and not expect a return on it apart from the capital value maybe increasing.

Unread 08-02-2023, 09:34 AM
Bunker Buster

Why does the stadium need 1bn FFS

Unread 08-02-2023, 09:50 AM
Sandman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
It's going to be some £#%&!ing roof at that price.

Unread 08-02-2023, 09:52 AM
Patty_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman
And I'm sure the Qatari's know how to source some bargain labour...

Unread 08-02-2023, 09:53 AM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman

End up like one of those Bedouin tent designs

Unread 08-02-2023, 10:10 AM
BarryX

TBF the work at the Bernabeu is estimated to be costing anywhere between $7-900m, but then it's been a total renovation. It will be some stadium when it's finished.

Unread 08-02-2023, 10:10 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticusgrinch
You have to be realistic. If you want the Glazers gone, you need someone who can cough up £6B for the club and another £1B + for the stadium, and not expect a return on it apart from the capital value maybe increasing.
This is true.

Unread 08-02-2023, 10:13 AM
My Name is Heath

Not going to lie - great bunch of lads and always liked them

Manchester and Qatar >> Liverpool and catarrh

It’s funny though …. for all the silky skills on the market what really captures our hearts is a small bit tough Argentinian, a “tell them I’ll fix it” Casemirokeano and a local lad banging them in.

It’s still character we love

Anyway - massive shukkers to the Qataris if they pull this off and rejuvenate Manchester.

Unread 08-02-2023, 10:15 AM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
This is true.
Except, it isn’t.

Big Jim himself has said that he wouldn’t be buying a football club for a financial return.

1 billion for the stadium is plucked out of thin air.

Unread 08-02-2023, 10:16 AM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryX
Wonder if Agent Becks has anything to do with this

With PattyB and the Rothster on this, but it does feel a bit damned if we do, damned if we don't, in terms of our ability to compete with our rivals (domestically and on the continent). The whole sport needs shaking up from top to bottom, IMO, but realistically just can't see salaries and transfer fees capped, etc., anytime soon.

So where does it leave us in a world where Real Madrid can throw 60-70 million Euro at 16 year olds and PSG can spend God knows how much per week on Mbappe's wages? Would love the club to be owned by am ethical consortium, with a true Utd fan at the helm, but would they be able to compete and get us another CL or 5??

It's all a bit but I'm United till I die.
Size of his hands

Unread 08-02-2023, 10:17 AM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticusgrinch
G2c somebody is awake

£#%&!ing mard arses

We won’t return to your Ferie (pisscan - hi sparky) of your youth

Just another new reality

Life

Viva Qatar/Becksy. You’ll think 1999/2008 was the old days.

Let’s be havin you

Unread 08-02-2023, 10:17 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
Except, it isn’t.

Big Jim himself has said that he wouldn’t be buying a football club for a financial return.

1 billion for the stadium is plucked out of thin air.
It’s not. Spurs’ cost a billion 6 years ago. Pretty sure there were some estimates being chucked about last year too.

At this point as long as it’s not an American investment consortium I’m not arsed, they’re all @#%&!s.

Unread 08-02-2023, 10:18 AM
Bunker Buster

We don't want a new stadium though ?

Unread 08-02-2023, 10:18 AM
The Butcher

Material costs are up around 300% in the last few years. 1bn won't be far off if its a full revamp like Madrid have done.

Unread 08-02-2023, 10:19 AM
dunk

Quote:
We don't want a new stadium though ?
I’m sure that was to rebuild OT where it is, but with a plan to build a secondary stadium to play in while the main one was done up for the women and young ‘uns moving forward.

Unread 08-02-2023, 10:21 AM
Parlabane

Quote:
yep this is the bit that gets me - it needs modernising not rebuilding

Unread 08-02-2023, 10:22 AM
dunk

Madrid have just Modernised theirs to the tune of €900m over about 3 years and they’ve had to play elsewhere.

Unread 08-02-2023, 10:25 AM
GBMUFC2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b
Tin hat on here.

Government white paper on the independent regulator for football was meant to be released today wasn't it, but was pushed back on Monday.

Suddenly, and supposedly, a Qatari bid on United is now imminent.

How about that then...
I would suggest it was pushed back because the Premier League beat them to it by releasing the news about the investigation into Manchester City.
Closed Thread