United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 25-04-2010, 01:22 AM
treme

Thumbs up Javier Hernandez: I almost quit

Quote:
JAVIER HERNANDEZ has revealed he was ready to turn his back on football two years ago after growing disillusioned with the game.

The Mexican striker will arrive at Manchester United in July after completing a £10million move from Chivas Guadalajara two weeks ago.

Hernandez, 21, nicknamed 'El Chicharito', played just 21 games in three years at Chivas despite being fully fit and was ready to call time on his short career.

The Mexico international scored twice on his debut in a 4-0 win over bitter rivals Necaxa in 2006 but would play only nine games in the next 18 months.

Hernandez, who is still waiting for a work permit, says he felt so low that only the advice and encouragement from his father persuaded him to carry on playing.

"I thought about retiring because I felt stuck there," he said.

"Every week would pass and my name would not be on the list for the game. I was not injured and was playing well in training, but I got nothing from the coach.

"I had so much confidence after that first game and as the weeks passed me by it all just drained out of my body and mind. It was so painful.

"I didn't even have enough confidence to go and talk to the coach.

"I remember thinking about the World Cup back then and how if I didn't start playing for my club soon that I would not ever get to play for my country.

"I was certain that I would be forgotten by the national coach and I would never reach my aim of getting through to South Africa.

"At that time I was indebted to my father who gave me really helpful advice. He told me to be patient and wait for my opportunity and thank God I did that.

"I just didn't want to play football anymore and my parents really had to work hard to convince me not to walk away from everything."

Hernandez hails from an impressive footballing family.

His father, also called Javier, is remembered as a legend at Chivas and also played for his country at the 1986 World Cup in Mexico as they reached the quarter-finals.

Distinction

Hernandez senior was known as 'El Chicharo' - meaning 'The Pea' - during his career and his son's nickname 'El Chicharito' means 'Little Pea'.

His grandfather Tomas Balcazar also represented Chivas with distinction.

The striker has now scored four goals in as many appearances for Mexico and is set to play in the friendly with England at Wembley on May 24.

He will also return to his homeland this summer with United as they have agreed to line up for a glamour friendly to open Chivas' new 45,000-seater stadium.

"I have signed a contract with the best club in the world, and I hope I can help improve the name of Mexico here," said Hernandez, who will become the first Mexican to play for United.

"I hope my transfer is just the beginning and other Mexican players can live the kind of dream that I am living today by following me here.

"Let me tell you, I now know that dreams can come true when you work hard. I have already talked with Sir Alex Ferguson. He talked with my family too.

"My first impression of him was that he was an excellent person.
Sounds like he will throw a hissy fit and retire if Fergie doesn't play him regularly.

Get rid.

Unread 25-04-2010, 01:29 AM
dunk

Default Re: Javier Hernandez: I almost quit

better than benzema

Unread 25-04-2010, 01:31 AM
shadowplay

He'll win Mexico the World Cup.

Unread 25-04-2010, 01:41 AM
treme

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
better than benzema

Unread 25-04-2010, 07:05 AM
borsuk

an inspiration to other young footballers, with perseverance he is now just a move away from his dream.

Unread 25-04-2010, 09:48 AM
safingtons

Quote:
Originally Posted by treme

Unread 25-04-2010, 09:50 AM
Sloane

10mill? thought it was 6? has marlo wrote that article?

Unread 25-04-2010, 11:42 AM
rogieop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloane
dollars maybe?

Unread 25-04-2010, 12:02 PM
MUFC One Love

Quote:
Doubt it was even £6m tbh.

Probably about £1.06 and a bag of revels. With the rest of the £6m paid over 50 years.

Value.

Unread 25-04-2010, 12:05 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by treme

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC One Love
Doubt it was even £6m tbh.

Probably about £1.06 and a bag of revels. With the rest of the £6m paid over 50 years.

Value.
Posts like that make you sound like a right slapped arse.

Unread 25-04-2010, 12:08 PM
MUFC One Love

Quote:
Posts like that make you sound like a right slapped arse.
Not really. Just having a light hearted joke about United's current situation. I know you think that there is no value and United should sign unproven players from lower teams 'cos we 'develop' them, and clearly our record in the last 5-10 years proves that....

This squad will struggle next season, imo.

Unread 25-04-2010, 12:24 PM
dunk

Quote:
Not really. Just having a light hearted joke about United's current situation. I know you think that there is no value and United should sign unproven players from lower teams 'cos we 'develop' them, and clearly our record in the last 5-10 years proves that....

That's part of what I think.

My bottom lip doesn't flop out because we aren't signing the most hyped and expensive players though.

This squad will evolve and be added to and won't struggle at all.

Unread 25-04-2010, 01:16 PM
otbarney

Quote:
Nah, if Marlo had written it it would be titled: Big Javier.

Unread 25-04-2010, 01:20 PM
Zorg

So that's the second Spanish-speaking player Ferie's signed with a nickname that means a small version of his dad, who was also a famous footballer.

Remember how the last one turned out ffs

Unread 25-04-2010, 01:25 PM
silv

Quote:

£#%&! off one love!

You normally talk sense! With the right investment in the summer our squad will clearly be the best. Not counting city cos they are playig as if they're on soccer manager!

Unread 25-04-2010, 01:27 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by silv
£#%&! off one love!

You normally talk sense! With the right investment in the summer our squad will clearly be the best. Not counting city cos they are playig as if they're on soccer manager!

Unread 25-04-2010, 01:28 PM
Liu Jian

Quote:

We're struggling already relatively speaking tbh - when you've lost more games in the league than shit like Villa and City it's a worry.

Unread 25-04-2010, 01:29 PM
silv

Quote:

he does. Top red top boy top mod. Although I don't think he has done anything in years!!

Unread 25-04-2010, 01:34 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
That's part of what I think.

My bottom lip doesn't flop out because we aren't signing the most hyped and expensive players though.

This squad will evolve and be added to and won't struggle at all.
Calm down dunkers, it was obviously a facetious remark.

Unread 25-04-2010, 01:48 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Calm down dunkers, it was obviously a facetious remark.
Yes, but every post he makes is a facetious remark about United's transfer policy these days.
Closed Thread