Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Hall of Fame

Unread 23-02-2021, 12:01 PM
wiganste

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsfuctit
(Full Match)

Some players in that team!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVw7LMM5zU4
Glorious day. When Barnes scored I thought that was it.

Stretford End tunnel reds for this game

Unread 23-02-2021, 12:04 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhombre
imagine a manager talking like that now?
did not mention agents.

Unread 23-02-2021, 12:12 PM
HolyMackrelDoodleBonkon

Stratford end right side reds. must've watched that match 100x + still remember most of the commentary now.
I hate to drop names but Russell Beardsmore was one of my Dad's drinking buddies.

Unread 23-02-2021, 12:13 PM
92ToBury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medlock
Was a kid on the Stretford End fence.
Had it on betamax for years. Always fast forwarded to 71 mins. Loved Sharpie
They’ve come full circle, collapsing after 70 minutes again.

Unread 23-02-2021, 12:16 PM
puressence

Quote:
Originally Posted by suedeshoes
I went to that too. Middlesbrough away. Awful town, awful ground, awful game. If memory serves Peter hopeless @#%&! Davenport scored the winner for them.
yep so £#%&!ing cold aswell and tbh they should have beat us 6-0 davenports first goal for em unreal

Unread 23-02-2021, 12:21 PM
dragflick

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92ToBury
Probably as good a place as any for this and could answer a few questions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmJDXkyKCKs
What a man- first time I’d seen that. Every time you hear him speak like that, It’s not hard to see why he was so successful. He’s properly engaging, inspiring and intimidating in equal measures

Unread 23-02-2021, 01:05 PM
dunk

Brilliant game that, we battered them tbf. State of the passing back to the keeper

Hughesie was a £#%&!ing beast, and Choccy rampaging down the right

We beat them 3-1 with Ralph Milne, Mal Donaghy and Russel Beardsmore in the team

Reminds me a bit of the team now tbh; some top players, some good young 'uns, a couple of areas desperate for an upgrade and at their best going hell for leather.

Unread 23-02-2021, 01:44 PM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyMackrelDoodleBonkon
Stratford end right side reds. must've watched that match 100x + still remember most of the commentary now.
I hate to drop names but Russell Beardsmore was one of my Dad's drinking buddies.
Played pool with him once in the priory in Salford. He was getting hammered on a week night. Must have gone straight from training at the cliff.

Unread 23-02-2021, 04:18 PM
Sparky***

My first ever United game

Unread 23-02-2021, 04:30 PM
Carlton

Quote:
I went to that too. Middlesbrough away. Awful town, awful ground, awful game. If memory serves Peter hopeless @#%&! Davenport scored the winner for them.
The only time when united were on the field that he wasn’t flagged offside.

Ayresome Park was like four anderson shelters. Some lunatic in the united end climbed up the floodlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiganste
Glorious day. When Barnes scored I thought that was it.

Stretford End tunnel reds for this game
It just kept getting better. Made all the more satisfying by the initial disappointment. The atmosphere was something else. Was that the game some scousers were daft enough to celebrate their goal in the days of K Stand being an actual madhouse?

Unread 23-02-2021, 04:48 PM
suedeshoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlton
Some lunatic in the united end climbed up the floodlight.
I remember that. The pylon was in the middle of the away end and all the Reds cheered when he climbed to the top. The stewards were waiting for him when he came down but were 'distracted' by other reds to enable him to get away with it.

Unread 23-02-2021, 07:32 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
More than he ever managed for us tbf.

Unread 23-02-2021, 10:34 PM
HolyMackrelDoodleBonkon

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***

https://youtu.be/pwa9UGDm5Vc
Doesn't get much better than that as far as first games go pal.
There used to be a group of 6 of us that went week in week out.
3 lads missed this game as they'd rather go trick and treating.
One of those is dead, one is in prison and the other one never goes anymore and spends his weekends watching Salford RLFC. Makes you think.

Unread 23-02-2021, 10:38 PM
wiganste

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
More than he ever managed for us tbf.
Scored an 89th minute winner for us v Liverpool once so your statement isn’t quite true

Unread 23-02-2021, 11:08 PM
92ToBury

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiganste
Scored an 89th minute winner for us v Liverpool once so your statement isn’t quite true
Finished top scorer for us one season as well.

Unread 23-02-2021, 11:31 PM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***

https://youtu.be/pwa9UGDm5Vc

Rush spewing it as per.

Unread 11-03-2021, 10:22 PM
Gordon Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsfuctit
Even at their current ages, it would add some steel. In their prime they were immense.
They certainly were

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvel7
Robson and McGrath genuine world class players and would stand in any era. Robson a combination of all of Scholes and Keane's best traits, McGrath a combination of all of Rio and Vidic's best traits.

Hughes was not at their level but was strong as an ox, a real big game player, a scored some absolute beauty's.
I could'nt agree more & I would add the name of, Norman Whiteside too that short list as he was absolutly top-class big-match player of whom we always belived could be trusted too turn-up & perform supurbly

Unread 11-03-2021, 11:12 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92ToBury
Finished top scorer for us one season as well.
I did not know this - and tbh, I still don't believe it

Unread 12-03-2021, 07:31 AM
92ToBury

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
I did not know this - and tbh, I still don't believe it
Quote:
Davenport himself did not have a bad start to the 1986–87 season, but United's performances in the league were some of their worst since relegation in the 1973–74 season. By the beginning of November, Davenport had scored five goals in the league and another goal in the Football League Cup, but United were second from bottom in the league and battling against relegation when just months earlier they had been title contenders. Davenport scored his seventh goal of the season on 4 November 1986, but it came as United were thrashed 4–1 by Southampton in the fourth round replay of the League Cup. Ron Atkinson was then sacked and replaced by Alex Ferguson.
Ferguson was intent on building a new side, but there were few changes to the line-up while the 1986–87 season wore on and Davenport was undoubtedly one of the best players in the side that season. In December, he scored twice in successive 3–3 draws with title challengers Tottenham Hotspur and fellow strugglers Aston Villa. On 20 April 1987 he scored the only goal in a 1–0 home win over deadly rivals Liverpool which helped end Liverpool's defence of the league title, which was won by Everton. By now, United's relegation worries had long gone and they finished a healthy 11th in the final table. Davenport finished the season as United's top goalscorer with 16 goals (14 in the league and two in the League Cup) and for the 1987–88 season he would have a new strike partner in the shape of Brian McClair following the departure of Frank Stapleton.
Evidence riccers, bow to the evidence.

Unread 12-03-2021, 07:17 PM
red in cumbria

Though wasn't said 1-0 against Liverpool actually at Anfield?

(it might even have been our only away league win that season, incredibly)