United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 13-05-2021, 11:23 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
I don’t mind playing out from the back, it’s more the players we do it with.

Lindelof and Shaw are ok on the ball. Awb, Fred and The Scottish Player are not. None of them can handle it and it puts us under constant pressure.

A midfielder who has a bit of mobility, can receive the ball under pressure and play it Carrick-style through the lines () would make a huge difference.
Nor do I, just don’t be dogmatic about it. If its not working, £#%&!ing stop it. Sick of these Guardiola wannabes who want to appear bold and Neville wannabe analysts who want to appear enlightened. Flexibility is the key, not rigid tactics. When you only do one thing even Chris £#%&!ing Wilder can figure you out.

Unread 13-05-2021, 11:26 PM
Sparky***

I £#%&!ing despise it.

Another chin-stroking, philoso£#%&! tactic brought in by that autistic £#%&! at City that everyone's copied along with copious tactical fouls.

Just get the ball forward and make the @#%&!s defend from the back.

Unread 13-05-2021, 11:33 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
I £#%&!ing despise it.

Another chin-stroking, philoso£#%&! tactic brought in by that autistic £#%&! at City that everyone's copied along with copious tactical fouls.

Just get the ball forward and make the @#%&!s defend from the back.
Correct. These days everyone’s so desperate to sound clever. In what facet of life is it clever to continue doing something that’s not only not working but actively harming you?

Oh no but don’t criticize the manager though, points from behind and all that. Maybe instead of doing a £#%&!ing conga about points from behind we might want to spend two seconds asking why we keep going behind.

Unread 13-05-2021, 11:45 PM
History

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
Correct. These days everyone’s so desperate to sound clever. In what facet of life is it clever to continue doing something that’s not only not working but actively harming you?
We gave the ball away in the middle of pitch multiple times under virtually no pressure. That's the thing, nothing worked

I genuinely think the performance was just dog shit tonight, not helped by individuals taking their shiteness to another level.

It was the simple, classic stuff that has bit us all season. Set pieces, not clearing it first time. Second balls etc....

Unread 13-05-2021, 11:51 PM
ZiggyStardust

We’re not going to get back to the top just banging the ball up the pitch looking for 2nd balls

Sure there is a time when it isn’t on but that £#%&! up for third wasn’t the time to boot it
It wasn’t hard to find a red shirt but Fred and Shaw after him just completely £#%&!ed it up
That’s pure incompetence

There are two issues for us
One is we have midfielders and defenders who are not good at passing the ball under pressure
2nd issue is we don’t have repeatable patterns to how we build from the back, it’s all a bit off the cuff

Unread 13-05-2021, 11:52 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by History
We gave the ball away in the middle of pitch multiple times under virtually no pressure. That's the thing, nothing worked

I genuinely think the performance was just dog shit tonight, not helped by individuals taking their shiteness to another level.

It was the simple, classic stuff that has bit us all season. Set pieces, not clearing it first time. Second balls etc....
I’m not suggesting playing out the back was the sole culprit here mate. Far from it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyStardust
We’re not going to get back to the top just banging the ball up the pitch looking for 2nd balls
Is that the only alternative then? Funny how when City go long they’re passes; anyone else and they’re balls.

The whole £#%&!ing thing is balls imo.

Unread 13-05-2021, 11:54 PM
dunk

The defending from set-pieces is the worst thing. We nearly concede every time and no @#%&! can clear the ball

Unread 13-05-2021, 11:59 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
The defending from set-pieces is the worst thing. We nearly concede every time and no @#%&! can clear the ball
Because we hesitate. Every player we have that lacks confidence hesitates in key moments, across the whole field. At this level that kills you.

Unread 14-05-2021, 12:11 AM
ZiggyStardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
I’m not suggesting playing out the back was the sole culprit here mate. Far from it.

Is that the only alternative then? Funny how when City go long they’re passes; anyone else and they’re balls.

The whole £#%&!ing thing is balls imo.
So City play long ball football then

Playing the odd long ball is fine but most of the time you have to be brave otherwise you’ll have about 20% possession and be camped in your own final third all game

Unread 14-05-2021, 12:12 AM
Sparky***

Quote:
Who's talking about banging it up the pitch? i've watched City and Liverpool's goalkeepers spray the ball 40 yards up the pitch to full backs and wingers. You are allowed to mix it up and make teams defend from the back.

One of the basic, fundamental principles of football going back decades is that you play to your strengths. You don't deliberately put yourself in positions that your players quite obviously aren't good enough to cope with because that's just dumb.

The Scottish Player and fred receiving the ball facing their own goal is a disaster waiting to happen. It's foolhardy and it's asking for trouble. If you want to play out from the back it would be an idea to get defenders who are comfortable with the ball at feet and not like ours who apart from Shaw treat the ball like a live hand grenade.

Unread 14-05-2021, 12:15 AM
dunk

The only players in our team that can hit it 40 yards+ with any accuracy and consistency are Pogba and... erm... nope. That’s it.

Unread 14-05-2021, 12:15 AM
mr ed is un banned

Quote:
I f***ing despise it.

Another chin-stroking, philoso**** tactic brought in by that autistic f*** at City that everyone's copied along with copious tactical fouls.

Just get the ball forward and make the c***s defend from the back.
It works if you have the players who are technically able to deal with it.

Unread 14-05-2021, 12:16 AM
ZiggyStardust

Quote:
Who's talking about banging it up the pitch? i've watched City and Liverpool's goalkeepers spray the ball 40 yards up the pitch to full backs and wingers. You are allowed to mix it up and make teams defend from the back.

One of the basic, fundamental principles of football going back decades is that you play to your strengths. You don't deliberately put yourself in positions that your players quite obviously aren't good enough to cope with because that's just dumb.

The Scottish Player and fred receiving the ball facing their own goal is a disaster waiting to happen. It's foolhardy and it's asking for trouble. If you want to play out from the back it would be an idea to get defenders who are comfortable with the ball at feet and not like ours who apart from Shaw treat the ball like a live hand grenade.
As I said above the odd long ball forward is fine
Sure when it isn’t on to play it out then yes play it long but you have to play out from the back when it is on otherwise we’re never going to get close to winning the PL or CL

That third goal wasn’t risky play as most Prem footballers should have been able to find a team mate
It was sheer incompetence from players who had lost their heads

Unread 14-05-2021, 12:22 AM
Patty_b

Quote:

We don't have Liverpool or City's goalkeepers, so if you're talking about us playing it long from the back, then you're talking about banging it up the pitch.

Liverpool and City both broke transfer records bringing those keepers in. If we want our keeper to do what their keepers do, then we're probably going to have to pay for it.

Probably cheaper to just replace Fred tbh.

Unread 14-05-2021, 01:40 AM
tatty

If you've got Scholes, Carrick and Ferdinand in your side then you could pass through a 22 man press.

Unfortunately we've got Deacon, Hawkings and Wonder.

Unread 14-05-2021, 03:25 AM
shenwen

It was working from the first half. The problem is the risk is always there: with a player like Fred you are going to give the opposition one chance per game. At least.

Unread 14-05-2021, 06:06 AM
Bunker Buster

It NEVER works in the long run.....I don't care what players you have

My under 8's have to retreat to halfway from an opposition goal kick (allowing the other team at least a go at getting out, FA;rules) as soon as its out they are like wolves sprinting at the defence, honestly believe they could get the ball off our defenders...

It's not cute, it's not some £#%&!ing new way of playing football, it's crept in over the last few years as some intellectual way of clearing your lines....

We get it,y ou practice close control and little triangles holding bibs in your hands, LOL MEGGGGGGS...

£#%&! off and clear your lines when you're in danger or being pressed high....

Unread 14-05-2021, 10:16 AM
RARAMSES

Not good enough to do it simples

Unread 14-05-2021, 10:21 AM
NedKelly

It’s not just us - I see the likes of Burnley and Brighton try and pull it off against City and Liverpool and aside from the odd occasion they always get their arses handed to them. It plays into the hands of those teams and we should know better. We haven’t looked great in possession all season, and when have played well it’s generally through quick transitional play and counter attacking football. Daft stuff and I hope we learn from it.

Unread 14-05-2021, 11:46 AM
utd99

Quote:
So City play long ball football then

Playing the odd long ball is fine but most of the time you have to be brave otherwise you’ll have about 20% possession and be camped in your own final third all game
I didn’t say that did I? Are you new to the word “when” mate? Why do people feel the need to artificially create extreme black and white positions in order to reinforce their point? It’s obvious and boring. Trying to pretend I’m classing City as Wimbledon doesn’t make your point more valid.

Winning football is about variation not repetition. It’s why Antonio Valencia was devastating in his first season then got found out thereafter; because he did the same thing over and over. It’s also why we’ve struggled against teams who have identified our vulnerability in playing out from deep against a high energy well organised press.

If you were an oppo manager, are you really telling me your plan vs us wouldn’t be to harry our defenders as much as possible when we try to play out? We £#%&!ing hate it, that much is clear.
Closed Thread