United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 13-05-2021, 09:30 PM
AK14

Default Playing out from the back part 2

Extension of the original thread that is closed.

Why are we still doing it and especially against a team that thrive on a high press, £#%&!ing crazy

Unread 13-05-2021, 09:31 PM
red in cumbria

This does seem a bit of Fergal-style stubbornness from our manager tbh.

Unread 13-05-2021, 09:31 PM
History

Its a risk worth taking, as if you break the press you basically got a free run at an oppositions back four.

Just need to someone who can take the ball on the half turn in midfield. Which Fred can only do about 20% of the time

Unread 13-05-2021, 09:32 PM
Patty_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14

Why are we still doing it and especially against a team that thrive on a high press, £#%&!ing crazy
Because hoofing the ball up the field is pretty much gifting possession away from a situation where you currently have it. And the only way to increase your chances of winning possession from a logn ball is to push players up the pitch to compete and try and win the second ball, which the opposition can read and retreat as well, and then if they win possession you have less numbers back to defend their attack.

Unread 13-05-2021, 09:34 PM
ryanMUFC

We must concede a goal from doing this every time Henderson plays.

Unread 13-05-2021, 09:34 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by History
Its a risk worth taking, as if you break the press you basically got a free run at an oppositions back four.

Just need to someone who can take the ball on the half turn in midfield. Which Fred can only do about 20% of the time
Fair point

But at least two of the goals tonight we had a chance to clear our lines but either tried forcing a pass (Lindelof, Fred) or tried dribbling out of ridiculous positions (both FB’s).

Wasn’t working all night but they just kept on doing it.

Unread 13-05-2021, 09:36 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b
Because hoofing the ball up the field is pretty much gifting possession away from a situation where you currently have it. And the only way to increase your chances of winning possession from a logn ball is to push players up the pitch to compete and try and win the second ball, which the opposition can read and retreat as well, and then if they win possession you have less numbers back to defend their attack.
It wasn’t working tonight (against a very accomplished high press team) but we kept doing it with no alternative. I get that hitting long balls isn’t ideal but we handed them a couple of goals and possibly could gifted them a couple more by overplaying it at the back.

Unread 13-05-2021, 09:37 PM
MUFC One Love

Maybe it's a one off because tonight literally everything was dire from Fred.

Unread 13-05-2021, 09:38 PM
tatty

The eggheads employed by clubs must have worked the percentages and calculated playing out from the back as a tactic has a positive expectation.

It doesn't seem that way to me when I watch it though and I wonder if it is going to be one of those football fads that is looked back upon with bemusement in the future.

Unread 13-05-2021, 09:39 PM
Patty_b

Quote:
It wasn’t working tonight (against a very accomplished high press team) but we kept doing it with no alternative. I get that hitting long balls isn’t ideal but we handed them a couple of goals and possibly could gifted them a couple more by overplaying it at the back.
If we have a player who's not as unbelievably bad as Fred (literally unbelievable, I cannot believe that waste of carbon plays for us as a midfielder) then it helps. I swear everytime we concede from that situation Fred is directly involved.

Unread 13-05-2021, 09:40 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b
If we have a player who's not as unbelievably bad as Fred (literally unbelievable, I cannot believe that waste of carbon plays for us as a midfielder) then it helps. I swear everytime we concede from that situation Fred is directly involved.
Aye.

Probably shouldn’t be doing it with players that can’t actually do it tbf.

Unread 13-05-2021, 09:41 PM
utd99

Quote:

Madness. Utter madness.

Unread 13-05-2021, 09:44 PM
History

Sometimes I agree you need to take a few times of just smashing it up field to reset and get a breather but i think as players you want to wrestle back the momentum by trying to play the way you've been training all week.

Difficult one to answer, Liverpool needed it more tonight and just had the better of us. Helped by Fred and the centre halves.

But I remember against City, they got loads of praise saying 'its the right way to play, you'll get unstuck a couple of times but overall you benefit' when we did them the same way. However, when we lose its just stubbornness and lack of flexibility

Unread 13-05-2021, 09:44 PM
utd99

Quote:

Risk is tied to reward mate. If the reward is a stretched midfield and the risk is an absolute collapse of confidence and organization at the back, tell me again how it’s worth it?

We used to have a captain that would have put a stop to that shit in game as soon as it became apparent it was killing us.

Unread 13-05-2021, 09:46 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
Risk is tied to reward mate. If the reward is a stretched midfield and the risk is an absolute collapse of confidence and organization at the back, tell me again how it’s worth it?

We used to have a captain that would have put a stop to that shit in game as soon as it became apparent it was killing us.
Yep Maguire has been a huge loss in more ways than one nqat.

Unread 13-05-2021, 09:47 PM
20LEgend1999

I find it odd how often our center halfs are given the ball and then have either no idea what to do next or there is absolutely nobody showing for the ball.

Unread 13-05-2021, 09:47 PM
History

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99

Doesn't matter what system you play if you have players like Fred determined to give the ball away and be caught out of position.

I agree probably should of changed it up, but it wasn't the cause of the performance or loss tonight

Unread 13-05-2021, 09:50 PM
Bunker Buster

If I speak....

Unread 13-05-2021, 10:02 PM
utd99

Quote:
Doesn't matter what system you play if you have players like Fred determined to give the ball away and be caught out of position.

I agree probably should of changed it up, but it wasn't the cause of the performance or loss tonight
Right, so play it if you can but don’t if you can’t. Not rocket science.

Unread 13-05-2021, 10:16 PM
Dr Stranger

I don’t mind playing out from the back, it’s more the players we do it with.

Lindelof and Shaw are ok on the ball. Awb, Fred and The Scottish Player are not. None of them can handle it and it puts us under constant pressure.

A midfielder who has a bit of mobility, can receive the ball under pressure and play it Carrick-style through the lines () would make a huge difference.
Closed Thread