United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 05-12-2006, 04:03 PM
borsuk

Default who can we replace scholes with?

the little magician has got two more years at the most before he becomes a player you can throw on for the last half hour. we need to avoid the mistake we made with keane and sort this one out in good time.

clearly it has to be a class act, with vision and confidence - even arrogance - on the field. it has to be a creative and imaginative player who can chip in with a fair few goals. ideally, i'd say, it should be an english, or thoroughly naturalised, player. and, of course, it needs to be someone we have a chance of getting.

my suggestion? there is one player who fits the description, is admired by fergie and has premiership experience. he's also currently not playing as regularly as he would like...

this may be controversial...

Spoiler:
click to showhide

click to showhide

opinions? alternatives?

Unread 05-12-2006, 04:06 PM
Rhodzy

scholes is irreplaceable
but we do have to replace him, if u know what i mean
what about
diego from bremen
sneijder from ajax

Unread 05-12-2006, 04:08 PM
Skag Trendy

That young lad we have Darren Fletcher aka Peter Pan

Unread 05-12-2006, 04:12 PM
Rhodzy

darron gibson

Unread 05-12-2006, 04:16 PM
armchair

It'd be great if one of the youngsters stepped up - maybe gibson, maybe rossi - but I doubt it.

jc is completely the wrong choice. I'd prefer someone like arteta or cahill as they are proper midfielders though neither are anywhere near as good as the Prince.

Unread 05-12-2006, 04:31 PM
jem

the plan was a hargreaves - carrick midfield combo.

scholes cannot be replaced, but I'm not sure joe cole could anything like fill his role. rooney or rossi could, though.

Unread 05-12-2006, 05:26 PM
wonky no

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
the plan was a hargreaves - carrick midfield combo.

scholes cannot be replaced, but I'm not sure joe cole could anything like fill his role. rooney or rossi could, though.
His replacement is Carrick and I think he'll do well. You can't replace players like for like. Some are just freaks, like Schmeicel. I think Fergie has only every managed to replace a top player with a player as good and that was Robson and Keane.

Unread 05-12-2006, 05:30 PM
Rossi the Red

Van der Vaart. Nft.

Unread 05-12-2006, 05:33 PM
Billy Baroo

i don't want to see joe cole in a utd shirt

Unread 05-12-2006, 07:30 PM
Whalefish

For the past 12months Utd have had an eye on Sneijder apparently. He even had the 'tour' in the Sumer. We've been scouting the Croatian kid at Zagreb too. Madrid, Barca and one of the Milan's are also sniffing about.

Unread 05-12-2006, 08:27 PM
celtbion

I think Gibson, Carrick, Hargreaves and (sorry) Fletcher is a solid foursome going forward though I'd quite like to see Rooney drop a bit deeper as he gets older.

Unread 05-12-2006, 09:07 PM
jem

is not a big enough word.

or.... I may start calling him sorry fletch from now on, too. nice one.

Unread 05-12-2006, 09:13 PM
Fuzz

As a few have already said, Cahill is an option. Not in the class of the Scholes of a few seasons ago, but as good as the Scholes of now imho.

Unread 05-12-2006, 09:20 PM
jem

is older than scholes. almost.

Unread 05-12-2006, 09:23 PM
Rhodzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish
For the past 12months Utd have had an eye on Sneijder apparently. He even had the 'tour' in the Sumer. We've been scouting the Croatian kid at Zagreb too. Madrid, Barca and one of the Milan's are also sniffing about.
seriously thats good news, whaley how do u know this stuff, i believe u though
luka modric is the guy from zagreb

one of whaleys favs is out of contract in 12 months, worth a punt
http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?...tered+by+Barca

Unread 05-12-2006, 09:30 PM
Ether

You might be able to compare the goalscoring part of Cahill's game to Scholes, but he has nothing like the creativity, composure and range of passing that Scholes possesses. Good at making runs into the box and little else.

I don't think we'll find a British replacement for him either. One thing that's always been said about Scholes is that he was very different to the average British player, and the way he plays has much more in common with some of the continental greats. I can't think of another British player that's looked as comfortable on the ball as he has, and his technique has always been peerless. I really think we have to look abroad if we want a similar style of player.

Unread 05-12-2006, 09:32 PM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish
For the past 12months Utd have had an eye on Sneijder apparently. He even had the 'tour' in the Sumer.
sneijder would be the best option, i'd say.

cole was a wu, btw. i'm surprised no-one pointed out that he isn't even a c/m and tackles even less worse than scholes.

Unread 05-12-2006, 09:33 PM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz
As a few have already said, Cahill is an option. Not in the class of the Scholes of a few seasons ago, but as good as the Scholes of now imho.

and

Unread 05-12-2006, 09:44 PM
Tropical

I do like Iniesta.

And not only because I've just been watching him.

Not that Barca would be likely to let him go.

That Diego lad from Werder Bremen is worth keeping an eye on, too. Although I do say that because I've just been watching him.

(Oh, and what Borsuk said about what Fuzz said. With an extra or two for good measure.)

Unread 05-12-2006, 09:44 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ether
I don't think we'll find a British replacement for him either. One thing that's always been said about Scholes is that he was very different to the average British player, and the way he plays has much more in common with some of the continental greats. I can't think of another British player that's looked as comfortable on the ball as he has, and his technique has always been peerless. I really think we have to look abroad if we want a similar style of player.
Agree. You don't often find players like Scholes in England.

Gago would have been great, but he's off to Madrid.

Struggling after that, tbh.
Closed Thread