United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 06-01-2021, 10:46 AM
Sloppy

Football United v City Pre Match Build Up Thread

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer will be hoping to progress to his first final as Manchester United manager when we host Manchester City in Wednesday’s Carabao Cup semi-final.

The Reds made it to the last-four stage in three separate competitions last season, but failed to progress to the final on each occasion.

Should United defeat our cross-city neighbours at Old Trafford in this one-off tie, it would not only ensure a place in the Wembley cup final in April, but City’s monopoly over the competition would also be brought to an end.

Ahead of what is sure to be a dramatic night at the Theatre of Dreams, we have all the essential pre-match information…

HOW CAN I FOLLOW THE GAME?

The match kicks off at 19:45 GMT and will be broadcast live on Sky Sports in the UK.

Quote:
Semi-finals
In the past the semi-finals of this competition have been two-legged affairs.

However this season, the last-four ties will be played as one-off matches, due to the coronavirus pandemic and a more congested fixture schedule.

Unlike the FA Cup, neutral venues will not be used, with the ties taking place at the venue of the club drawn out first.

Extra-time and penalties
It was decided that in the first five rounds of this season's competition, any ties ending in a draw after 90 minutes would go straight to a penalty shoot-out, with no extra-time.

However, in the semi-finals and final, extra-time will be used if the sides cannot be separated after 90 minutes.

The traditional 30-minute period would then be played and followed, if needed, by a penalty shoot-out.

Substitutes
Ahead of the semi-final ties, the EFL announced that teams would be allowed to make up to five substitutions.

Previously, only three would have been permitted (plus an additional fourth in extra-time if required).

The EFL said in a statement: "Following consultation with the four clubs remaining in the competition, nine substitutes can now be named in the matchday squad, with five permitted to take to the pitch during the 90 minutes and extra time if applicable.

"Each team is only permitted a maximum of three opportunities (excluding half time, full time and half time of extra time) to make substitutions during normal time.

"However, if a tie goes to extra time, an additional opportunity to use a substitute(s) will also be permitted but only from the five substitutes allowed."
https://www.manchestereveningnews.co...s-var-19565912

Unread 06-01-2021, 11:02 AM
Cream

Nowhere near hyped up enough about this.

We need to smash the bastards. Wallop Mou in the final. Ole outers in shreds. Top reds dripping in silvers.

Unread 06-01-2021, 11:09 AM
History

Not the end of the world if we dont win this, we've reacted quite well to defeats recently, so potentially might give us a kick up the arse before Anfield.

But we've been dicked by City too many times in semi finals. Come on

Unread 06-01-2021, 11:26 AM
Drexl

looking forward to this, but wish cavani was available

time for the Beek

Unread 06-01-2021, 11:50 AM
Sapien

3 new covid cases at City. They'd best not give it to us.

Unread 06-01-2021, 11:55 AM
92ToBury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapien
My main concern as well. Plague-ridden filth. Not you, hopefully

Unread 06-01-2021, 11:58 AM
barca99

Quote:
Originally Posted by History
Not the end of the world if we dont win this, we've reacted quite well to defeats recently, so potentially might give us a kick up the arse before Anfield.

But we've been ****** by City too many times in semi finals. Come on
Agree, however, the players need to take the next step, another semi lost and its starting to become a problem for them imo.

I think if we can win it would give us the phycological edge over city, give our players a huge boost that they can 'beat the best' and also give the whole club a final to look forward to.

Football is about winning trophy's and this is our biggest chance this season without a doubt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapien
One of them is Scott Carson ffs, yeah that Scott Carson

Unread 06-01-2021, 12:08 PM
est.1878

Thumbs up

I'm going to make the living room a safe space, have 8 strong lagers, wear a black coat and chant YTTYMIT for 90 minutes

Unread 06-01-2021, 12:11 PM
Switching Off

Walker and Jesus now available apparently.

Unread 06-01-2021, 12:15 PM
Jethro

We'll have cases by tomorrow nqat

Unread 06-01-2021, 12:33 PM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by est.1878
I'm going to make the living room a safe space, have 8 strong lagers, wear a black coat and chant YTTYMIT for 90 minutes

Unread 06-01-2021, 04:21 PM
Vida_15

Quote:
Originally Posted by barca99
Agree, however, the players need to take the next step, another semi lost and its starting to become a problem for them imo.

I think if we can win it would give us the phycological edge over city, give our players a huge boost that they can 'beat the best' and also give the whole club a final to look forward to.

Football is about winning trophy's and this is our biggest chance this season without a doubt.

One of them is Scott Carson ffs, yeah that Scott Carson
agreed.....these guys NEED to win tomorrow just to continue carrying that winning feeling especially with the match being at Old Trafford. Would be a huge boost for the players mentally to get over the semi final hump and going into another cup competition just a few days later.

They should already be in great spirits seeing how the scouse bastards are dropping points and how the league is playing out right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switching Off
Walker and Jesus now available apparently.
pretty amazing how quickly they were able to get thru the quarantine as it's only been 3 or 4 days.

Unread 06-01-2021, 04:24 PM
Palmer

Can already smell city are edging to get this postponed.

Unread 06-01-2021, 05:30 PM
goldfinger II

Probably stating the obvious but the next four games are £#%&!ing enormous.

By the time we're out the other side, we could (perhaps should) be top of the table, 6 points clear of Liverpool with half our league games played and with a final to look forward to.

We're heading into the games fit and healthy, and in good form. Our opponents are not. The circumstances could hardly be more in our favour. That's the most worrying thing about it. This team has done very well up to a certain point, but in general, having put themselves in a position to achieve something or progress to the next level, have failed to perform when the crunch comes.

Three lost semi-finals attest to that, and going out of the CL in the way we did. Opinions vary, but I thought we simply bottled the CL. Played great as underdogs to the extent that we put ourselves into a winning position, then played badly, making a series of individual errors and missing loads of chances in the process, until we were underdogs again.

It's a hill this group of players will just have to get over. If the players persevere and Ole keeps on improving the team and we keep on getting into situations like this, sooner or later the team will succeed. I actually think the last two games might be minor examples of the players managing that. Both were games we should be winning to get us into contention for top spot and this time, we got the job done - even though the winner against Wolves was very lucky, it was no less significant for being so. Hopefully, the lads can take another step forward tonight. Obviously, the manager will have to go if not.

Unread 06-01-2021, 05:35 PM
beersexchipsgravy

Hearing it's gonna be off

From Dave off facebook, but still

Unread 06-01-2021, 05:36 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by beersexchipsgravy
Hearing it's gonna be off

From Dave off facebook, but still
Do we get a buy into the final?

Surely they can’t expect to rearrange another game ffs.

Unread 06-01-2021, 05:39 PM
beersexchipsgravy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
Do we get a buy into the final?

Surely they can’t expect to rearrange another game ffs.
I'll ask Dave

Unread 06-01-2021, 05:41 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by beersexchipsgravy
I'll ask Dave
Tell Dave he can £#%&! off if he’s bullshitting.

Unread 06-01-2021, 06:43 PM
Medlock

The Derby day fear is starting to get me now

Unread 06-01-2021, 06:44 PM
HolyMackrelDoodleBonkon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medlock
The Derby day fear is starting to get me now
Yep, four cans down just to steady the nerves.
Closed Thread