wiganste

Finish top 4, improve performances and win a trophy

We're not winning the league but I expect us to be closer

Kick on from that and start mounting proper challenges the following season

Unread 02-08-2023, 10:14 AM
Jack Duckworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
I think people will be surprised by how good we are. We'll briefly think we have a chance to win the league but will fall away. We'll go deep in the cl.
This. It will be another season of improvement. We'll need a bit of luck, but I think we'll be comfortably top 3.

Unread 02-08-2023, 10:16 AM
ryanMUFC

I think we’ll finish in a similar position to last season. It probably won’t be seen as progress but I think there will be glimpses of us going in the right direction.

We’ve lacked goals and I don’t think we’ve made a signing that you can put your money on changing that.

Unread 02-08-2023, 10:21 AM
Denis Irwell

With another mf to come in (presumably) we’ll have addressed three areas that desperately needed improvement. Ideally, decent backup for brittle Varane and a bit more support up top would be good but unlikely.

Reckon 2nd (even though arse have stiffened up the mf) and a decent showing in the cups, likely winning at least one.

Unread 02-08-2023, 10:29 AM
shenwen

Very, as most seasons. But more so the time with Erik having a year under his belt.

Unread 02-08-2023, 10:30 AM
dinger

I'm definitely excited, good additions to the squad & get Amrabat in and we're good to go. Reckon Hojlund is going to hit the ground running, i'm not expecting him to be top scorer but he's going to put in a solid first season for sure.

As armers says I think we'll compete in the league but ultimately fall away but I wouldn't care, that's progress. Something is building

Unread 02-08-2023, 10:54 AM
Baron

Excited as the evolution is real, the ruthlessness with which ETH has moved players on that don't fit the style & replaced them makes me happy.

The reality of that is it takes more than 3-4 weeks on the training ground in the US pre-season to have them all understand the style & it really needs everyone to be onboard asap.

You can't lose games early doors, we can likely afford to lose 5 or 6 tops all season (9 lost last term!) and frankly we absolutely must score more goals (58 in the league, that's 30 fewer than Arsenal & 36 behind City - almost 1 goal a game less ) comparatively our defensive record was tarnished by the big losses but for 34-35 of the games it would have been close to as good as anyone else. Still joint 3rd best alongside Arsenal so with Onana not throwing them in & hopefully beating the press we can do better in both aspects.

I'm optimistic, but with United it's always trepidation as we find a way to trip ourselves up. We're one injury / suspension from Casemiro being out & a huge drop-off in quality in the midfield again (fingers crossed we can pick up Amrabat) but it's the goals that stress me out. We didn't create anywhere near enough last season, a few of the players in our forward line must be in last chance saloon such as Sancho, Martial & if Antony doesn't contribute anything of note before the new year he'll be getting even more shit regardless of how much scowling he puts in. Lad needs to score or assist, facts (I believe he'll hit double figures fwiw).

I don't think we'll start to find our feet & click until maybe November, such is the precision with which you need to perform your role in these set-ups. Unless we go on a phenomenal run from then on it's tough to see anything more than a comfortable top 4 place & hopefully take home one of the pots.

CL will be tough as sides will just sit back & dig in against us until the knockouts.

Unread 02-08-2023, 11:01 AM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
£#%&!ing hell, worried about goals is definitely the new mantra for the doom crew innit.

It would be great if we scored more goals, clearly. But we scored less last season than several teams who finished below us, so it really isn’t the be all and end all. We have clearly added goals to the team over the summer, but our squad managed over a hundred goals between them last season anyway, so things aren’t quite as dire as some people make out.

The most important thing is improving our away form. Scoring more goals is one way to do it, but so is actually controlling games and being a bit tighter in our own half. The signings we’ve made will clearly help that
Hardly a new mantra is it. We've struggled to score goals in the league for a decade.

Less than 50 - x1
Less than 60 - x4
60 - 70 - x4
70 Plus - x1

Only two of those seasons a team scoring less than 70 has finished in the top 2.

It has been a massive problem for years.

Unread 02-08-2023, 11:12 AM
Jethro

Buzzing. Will be some bumps along the way no doubt but get that extra midfielder in and we'll be right. Think we'll do well in Europe.

Unread 02-08-2023, 11:14 AM
Surfers do Charlie

We've sorted a few problems out:

Got rid of Ronaldo, replaced Weghorst (bless him) with a proper goalscorer, brought in a fresh midfielder to put Eriksen out to pasture, hopefully got rid of Maguire, I think Sancho will improve, and best of all replaced de Gea with a keeper with balls.

Plenty of reasons to be optimistic there, but until the parasites go no-one can be really happy.

Unread 02-08-2023, 11:24 AM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
Hardly a new mantra is it. We've struggled to score goals in the league for a decade.

Less than 50 - x1
Less than 60 - x4
60 - 70 - x4
70 Plus - x1

Only two of those seasons a team scoring less than 70 has finished in the top 2.

It has been a massive problem for years.
Not sure what relevance the amount of goals we scored ten years ago has to our chances next season, but great stats as ever.

Unread 02-08-2023, 11:40 AM
BarryX

Not optimistic that we will win either the Premier or Champions League, but think we'll be in with a shout for another domestic cup. And to be honest, unless we get bought out that opinion probably won't change moving forward.

So long as we play with passion and attacking flair I'll be happy with the players and manager.

Unread 02-08-2023, 11:51 AM
marlo

Over 400m spent in little over 1 year, 6 of the starting 11 are his own players (3 of which has managed at his former club) and its a humble “happy if we make progress” mantra.

The Erik Tan Hoes are cushioning the blow of failure nice and early

For 400m spent as a so called miracle worker manager we should be challenging for the league.
Simple as. Challenging means being in with a chance of winning in in feb/March.

My personal opinion we were lucky last season and other teams Have made tangible additions that will make them better and all push on.

We had a goal scoring problem and signed a young inexperienced striker.
We also failed to stand up away from home and take control of games and went to sign a midfielder that at his last club was too careless on the ball and greedy.

I think 5th/6th , sub 60 league goals scored and excuses galore.

Unread 02-08-2023, 11:56 AM
armchair

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo
Over 400m spent in little over 1 year, 6 of the starting 11 are his own players (3 of which has managed at his former club) and its a humble “happy if we make progress” mantra.

For 400m spent as a so called miracle worker manager we should be challenging for the league.

My personal opinion we were lucky last season and other teams Have made tangible additions that will make them better and all push on.

We also failed to stand up away from home and take control of games and went to sign a midfielder that at his last club was too careless on the ball and greedy.

Unread 02-08-2023, 12:09 PM
magic_cantona

Quote:

Absolute, unadulterated garbage.

We "got lucky" last season did we? By being in every competition and having to play every 3 days for months?

By the Glazers restrictions on us buying a striker?

By 'only' winning one trophy because we had to play a financially doped up City in the FA Cup final?

By losing crucial players to injury and having nobody good enough to come in for them?

There's lots more but why go into anything that shows United did really well last season? Turn it in ffs.

Unread 02-08-2023, 12:12 PM
jaffo

I'm feeling good about it. There's bound to be a couple of catastrophes but I recover from them pretty quickly these days.

Unread 02-08-2023, 12:21 PM
RedNick80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfers do Charlie
We've sorted a few problems out:

Got rid of Ronaldo, replaced Weghorst (bless him) with a proper goalscorer, brought in a fresh midfielder to put Eriksen out to pasture, hopefully got rid of Maguire, I think Sancho will improve, and best of all replaced de Gea with a keeper with balls.

Plenty of reasons to be optimistic there, but until the parasites go no-one can be really happy.
All that. Great take

Unread 02-08-2023, 01:10 PM
Time For Heroes

Quote:

How much do you want to bet that we finish above that and score more goals than that? I'm serious.

Unread 02-08-2023, 01:16 PM
Hyman_Roth

Not very. Really struggling to get excited about it. Think we’ll finish in the top 4 and that’s about it. I am looking forward to seeing the new striker though.

Would feel better about it all if the club was in the process of being sold and city were in the process of being successfully prosecuted. As it is, we will still have the glazers this time next year and city will have won more trophies whilst brazenly cheating.

Unread 02-08-2023, 01:26 PM
Surfers do Charlie

Quote:
Over the whole season where would you say we got lucky ?

Don't you think that any of our new signings will improve us as well ?

I really don't get your constant doom-mongering. Is there absolutely nothing that you enjoy about watching United or makes you feel positive for the future ?
Closed Thread