United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 02-08-2023, 09:08 AM
Seamus

Default How optimistic are you going in to the new season?

ETH's second season where he has added a new goalie, midfielder and striker. I dont think its enough to seriously challenge as the gap to City still seems vast, the players are responding to Erik's philosophy but he still needs backing and a couple more windows.

Unread 02-08-2023, 09:11 AM
armchair

I think people will be surprised by how good we are. We'll briefly think we have a chance to win the league but will fall away. We'll go deep in the cl.

Unread 02-08-2023, 09:16 AM
Seamus

I was thinking we could go deep in the CL, if we get a decent group draw.

Unread 02-08-2023, 09:16 AM
Patty_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
I think people will be surprised by how good we are. We'll briefly think we have a chance to win the league but will fall away. We'll go deep in the cl.
Same. Think we'll get to at least the semi's of both domestic cups as well.

Think there's more for ETH to get out of some players still. Reckon Dalot will have a storming season (fitness depending), and form a good understanding with a more consistent Antony as well.

Unread 02-08-2023, 09:17 AM
NedKelly

We’re obviously going to win the league.

Unread 02-08-2023, 09:18 AM
magic_cantona

Delighted we've got an actual striker, an actual up to date keeper and an upgrade in midfield. Everything feels soured by the parasites staying though.

Unread 02-08-2023, 09:19 AM
Dr Stranger

Optimistic we’ll improve. I expect better performances and more goals. Where that leaves us in the league, Christ knows. Just keep improving. We made big strides last season. Same again, please. I’m confident we will with who we’ve added. The three big signings all elevate us.

Unread 02-08-2023, 09:19 AM
My Name is Heath

Magic is right

Would have preferred another zesty midfielder tbh but otherwise looking good

Unread 02-08-2023, 09:23 AM
Bunker Buster

Very, but then I always am...

Only 1 season in my life wasnt, moyes's first, knew then we were doomed....

But doom only lets in dark ...his job is to improve on last season and last season was great

Currently on for the quad, no danger...

Unread 02-08-2023, 09:28 AM
moransbleedinghead

I'm expecting a similar outcome to last season, but with better performances along the way, ie. finished 3rd and hopefully a cup.

We were running on empty from Feb onwards and crawled over the line, I think that we won't see a repeat of that. Plus there were quite a few games were we won but looked far from convincing and just scrapped by, I think this year, we'll win more of those games comfortably. I think it'll need another season and some additions to the squad to challenge properly

Unread 02-08-2023, 09:30 AM
Seamus

the window isnt shut yet and it looks like he will get that Amrabat. We are getting better but last season when we fell apart spectacularly in certain games still makes me feel like we lack backbone

Unread 02-08-2023, 09:31 AM
silv

We need a new midfielder and a striker desparately. Worried about goals

Im hopeful we can make top four

Unread 02-08-2023, 09:34 AM
Dasilvatwins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus
I was thinking we could go deep in the CL, if we get a decent group draw.
Isnt this the first season where it’s a full table? We play something like 6-8 games and the top few clubs go directly to quarters and some clubs go into a knockout play off

Unread 02-08-2023, 09:36 AM
Seamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilvatwins
Isnt this the first season where it’s a full table? We play something like 6-8 games and the top few clubs go directly to quarters and some clubs go into a knockout play off
I think that's next season

Unread 02-08-2023, 09:37 AM
NedKelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilvatwins
No that’s next season.

Unread 02-08-2023, 09:44 AM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by silv
We need a new midfielder and a striker desparately. Worried about goals

Im hopeful we can make top four
A up, Peter pessimistic had logged on .....

Unread 02-08-2023, 09:47 AM
silv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
A up, Peter pessimistic had logged on .....
More of a Percy than Peter tbh

Unread 02-08-2023, 09:49 AM
dunk

Confident and intrigued tbh.

Last season was an absolute shambles in terms of prep with transfers, Ronaldo, the WC, the schedule and then the takeover, and look how well we performed in patches.. it was clear all season that we didn’t have enough goals in the team but Onana, Mount and Hojlund will all help to improve us, plus Garnacho is an actual player rather than a youth prospect and Antony has a season under his belt. If Sancho and Martial can stay fit and actually contribute we should be in a much healthier position goals wise.

Top 4 and a decent CL run, maybe a tilt at one of the cups would do nicely. A general improvement in consistency and performance in general is what we’re after though.

Unread 02-08-2023, 09:50 AM
Ethers

£#%&!ing hell, worried about goals is definitely the new mantra for the doom crew innit.

It would be great if we scored more goals, clearly. But we scored less last season than several teams who finished below us, so it really isn’t the be all and end all. We have clearly added goals to the team over the summer, but our squad managed over a hundred goals between them last season anyway, so things aren’t quite as dire as some people make out.

The most important thing is improving our away form. Scoring more goals is one way to do it, but so is actually controlling games and being a bit tighter in our own half. The signings we’ve made will clearly help that

Unread 02-08-2023, 09:51 AM
suedeshoes

I don't fancy us to win any trophies. I'm optimistic that some of the players will show improvement and that the new ones will surprise me.
Closed Thread