United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 14-01-2014, 01:37 PM
Fountz

Smile A simple thread merely pointing out that Liverpool have had the most penalties awarded since '92

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...ampaig n=1490

http://www.utdforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=211114

To win titles you need to win games and to win games you need to score goals ..and obviously, to score goals you need to attack, therefore, logic would naturally dictate that the most successful sides are the sides that attack most and therefore the sides that would more than likely be awarded the most penalties.

So United, who've by some distance been the most successful side over the last 20 years or so, should be some way clear at the top, followed by Arsenal and Chelsea... only they're not.. it's a side that hasn't once challenged for the title and who's aspirations have realistically been the final Champions League spot.

It slightly jars doesn't it? ...only what we've always known.

Unread 14-01-2014, 01:45 PM
Ethers

Arsed.

Unread 14-01-2014, 01:47 PM
carlosartorial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountz

To win titles you need to win games and to win games you need to score goals ..and obviously, to score goals you need to attack, therefore, logic would naturally dictate that the most successful sides are the sides that attack most and therefore the sides that would more than likely be awarded the most penalties.

So United, who've by some distance been the most successful side over the last 20 years or so, should be some way clear at the top, followed by Arsenal and Chelsea... only they're not.. it's a side that hasn't once challenged for the title and who's aspirations have realistically been the final Champions League spot.

How does this present evidence of Liverpool cheating?

Unread 14-01-2014, 01:48 PM
Harri Jaffa

Quote:

How does that present evidence of Ronaldo nearly re-joining United in the summer

Unread 14-01-2014, 01:49 PM
thatsfuctit

this may be looking back with phlegm tinted specks, but it's how I remember things in my youth.

the vermin seemed to get a lot of pens in the 70s and 80s when they needed them, at home, attacking the Kop, KKK sticking his arse into someone and then going over - the KOP roar, pen, 1-0

I can't think of that many vital vital pens we've had when we've been chasing games, sure there will have been plenty, but my memories from a scouse scared youth are of

Vermin 1-0 Oppo

Neal 87 pen

Fountz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
Arsed.
they were second

no fun

Quote:

how does that present evidence that none of the fans who rushed through the open gate had a ticket ?

Unread 14-01-2014, 01:55 PM
Mr Castro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harri Jaffa
How does that present evidence of Ronaldo nearly re-joining United in the summer

Unread 14-01-2014, 01:56 PM
JW

Liverpool got pens in the 70 and 80s because they spent most of the games with the ball in possesion and camped out in the opposition half,just like Utd 20 years on!

Unread 14-01-2014, 02:06 PM
Withers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW
Liverpool got pens in the 70 and 80s because they spent most of the games with the ball in possesion and camped out in the opposition half,just like Utd 20 years on!
It's almost as if you wrote the article yourself.

Unread 14-01-2014, 02:31 PM
JW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Withers
It's almost as if you wrote the article yourself.
I was around to witness it mate,they had several brilliant sides,as galling and annoying it was then and still is today.
It's a fact the more you get in the penalty area the more chance you have getting a penalty.
Franny Lee scored 15 ( or so ) in City's 68 season ,most of them by him diving ( so they can £#%&! off) but they did attack with venom.

Unread 14-01-2014, 02:33 PM
Withers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW
I was around to witness it mate,they had several brilliant sides,as galling and annoying it was then and still is today.
It's a fact the more you get in the penalty area the more chance you have getting a penalty.
Franny Lee scored 15 ( or so ) in City's 68 season ,most of them by him diving ( so they can £#%&! off) but they did attack with venom.
Go and read it you bell.

Unread 14-01-2014, 02:41 PM
Zorg

United get more penalties, concede fewer penalties, shout at refs more and are given special allocated injury time during which the opposition isn't allowed to attack. And all the facts in the world won't prove otherwise.

Unread 14-01-2014, 02:42 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
United get more penalties, concede fewer penalties, shout at refs more and are given special allocated injury time during which the opposition isn't allowed to attack. And all the facts in the world won't prove otherwise.
i remember when we used to stamp on jon moncur every week as well

Unread 14-01-2014, 02:47 PM
JW

Yea fair enough,understand the thread now.I think all Utd fans knew we had a raw deal on pens,a lot due to the media for me.
But in the grand scheme of things ,my point of the more you attack the better chance of getting a pen,and the table supports that theory,even though the scoucers have been pants in some of those seasons,they generally have an attacking team.
An explanation ,all be it weak ,is that United over the past 20 years ,have been so dominant that officials I believe have been frightened to award Utd pens ,to avoid the flack.
Don't forget Refs also officiate a game according to the score line ( at all levels) I.e Utd winning comfortably 3 or 4 nil ,Scholes or Giggs gets fouled in the box ,No pen play on ' your winning 4-0 anyway,the incident is never remembered ,yet if it was 1-1 etc big difference.
The number of times I have seen that.

Unread 14-01-2014, 02:49 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
Wish we still did tbh.

Unread 14-01-2014, 02:50 PM
JW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
My argument to the bitters when Utd scored in 'fergie time' was that !

Was it Utd who could only score in this period or could the opponents score as well!

Can't remember many pens in Fergie time?

Unread 14-01-2014, 02:50 PM
Eve_Of_Destruction

Quote:

not really evidence of them cheating is it?

Unread 14-01-2014, 03:00 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb

Andy D'Urso's still receiving counselling too, I believe.

Unread 14-01-2014, 03:39 PM
forzagarza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eve_Of_Destruction
not really evidence of them cheating is it?
Apart from in the thread title where has he even accused them of that?
Closed Thread