United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 09-12-2007, 12:44 PM
The Return of JC

Default Ronaldo didn't dive

Diving is throwing yourself on the ground under no challenge.

There's a difference between that and 'leaving your leg there'.

That's what Ronaldo did and what he does a lot. He rarely goes over phantom challenges, he just doesn't need any encoragement to go over a trailing leg.

If Mears leaves his leg there then why shouldn't he go over it? If you don't get the ball you can have no complaints.

We love to judge different kinds of gamesmanship in different ways. When Ronaldo draws challenges, he's a cheat! When John Terry blocks off a defender to allow his team mate to cross, that's clever!

Both are breaking the rules to gain an advantage but one is made in the England and the ther is a product of dirty foreigners

Unread 09-12-2007, 12:51 PM
Crumps

He threw his leg out purposely at the defender then went down like a sack of shit. If we are to criticise non-United players for such acts we should hold our own players to the same standard. Stupid thing to do and any sympathy for Monday night has now completely disappeared.

Unread 09-12-2007, 12:52 PM
Zorg

Unread 09-12-2007, 12:52 PM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumps
He threw his leg out purposely at the defender then went down like a sack of shit. If we are to criticise non-United players for such acts we should hold our own players to the same standard. Stupid thing to do and any sympathy for Monday night has now completely disappeared.
Completely missed my point, but there you go.

Unread 09-12-2007, 12:53 PM
fergieslovechild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumps
Pires v Portsmouth a couple of years ago!

Unread 09-12-2007, 12:54 PM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Come of it JC he did dive. He's only making things worse for himself now refs will give him even less.

But what was worse was refusing to let Tevez take it.

He was a bit of @#%&! yesterday.

Unread 09-12-2007, 12:55 PM
Crumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergieslovechild
Pires v Portsmouth a couple of years ago!
So Pires diving diving makes it okay for our players to dive?

Unread 09-12-2007, 12:57 PM
shenwen

he dived. pretty much the same as martins for newcastle. ran into a trailing leg.
not sure I would criticise him for taking the pen thought. he wants goals. good on him. no time for any sentimental keech.

by the way, are we seeing saha returning to form? looked good in short bursts yesterday.

Unread 09-12-2007, 01:03 PM
Crumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Return of JC
Completely missed my point, but there you go.
Well your point was when a foreigner dives it's 'cheating' and when an English player plays outside the rules to their own advantage it's 'clever' was it not? Well I personally hold players to the same standard whether they play for us or not and Ronnie did cheat yesterday imo and it's pointless making excuses for him on the basis that other players cheat (very scouse thing to do).

Unread 09-12-2007, 01:05 PM
redmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg

Indeed.

Unread 09-12-2007, 01:07 PM
Crumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
by the way, are we seeing saha returning to form? looked good in short bursts yesterday.
Just about getting his match fitness now that his physical fitness is supposedly fine. Few opportunities where he made good runs but due to other players dwelling on the ball nothing came from them. The thing with Ronaldo, Tevez and Rooney is that without a player running beyond them they will overplay it from time to time.

A full game against Roma will do him the world of good.

After success for the team this season my second hope is for him to get himself right and go on a proper run.

Unread 09-12-2007, 01:08 PM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dunlop
Come of it JC he did dive. He's only making things worse for himself now refs will give him even less.

But what was worse was refusing to let Tevez take it.

He was a bit of @#%&! yesterday.
No he didn't. My point is that diving is a bit of a grey area. If there was no challenge and he just threw himself on the floor then yes, dive. But is there a challenge? Yes. Is there contact? Yes. But Ronaldo makes sure that there is contact, that's the difference.

Throwing yourself on the ground to get anoter player sent off is more @#%&!ish IMO.

How may times do we hear commentators say 'if he'd gone down there it would've been a penalty'. Isn't that encouraging players to go down when they could stay on their feet?
If it's more benefitial to go down then why stay up if there's a poor challenge? Why do the defender a favour? Because it's dishonest? Boo hoo! The game is cut throat!

I'm not saying what he does is right, but we're so quick to condemn and generalise when there are various forms of this, some of which there is a case to defend.

If Tyrone Mears is stupid enough to leave a leg hanging out then why shouldn't Ronaldo go over it? Why should players get out of the way of it?

Oh, and like I say, why isn't John Terry a cheat for blocking defenders off. How is that any different? But we applaud that and call it clever. Tim Cahill claimed a none-existant handball the other night just to test the water withthe ref. It worked. Cheating? Lying?....

Before anyone suggests I'm wearing Red Specs etc, I'm mean this as a general point too, not just referring to Ronaldo or Terry.

There's all kinds of bullshit and gamesmanship going on during the games that's all trying to get one over on the ref and an advantage for their team, but it's only the one the foreign players (yes, the same foreign players that enhance the quality of our league so much) have brought to our game that we condemn so generally and so fervently.

Unread 09-12-2007, 01:11 PM
shenwen

Quote:
No he didn't. My point is that diving is a bit of a grey area. If there was no challenge and he just threw himself on the floor then yes, dive. But is there a challenge? Yes. Is there contact? Yes. But Ronaldo makes sure that there is contact, that's the difference.

Throwing yourself on the ground to get anoter player sent off is more @#%&!ish IMO.

How may times do we hear commentators say 'if he'd gone down there it would've been a penalty'. Isn't that encouraging players to go down when they could stay on their feet?
If it's more benefitial to go down then why stay up if there's a poor challenge? Why do the defender a favour? Because it's dishonest? Boo hoo! The game is cut throat!

I'm not saying what he does is right, but we're so quick to condemn and generalise when there are various forms of this, some of which there is a case to defend.

If Tyrone Mears is stupid enough to leave a leg hanging out then why shouldn't Ronaldo go over it? Why should players get out of the way of it?

Oh, and like I say, why isn't John Terry a cheat for blocking defenders off. How is that any different? But we applaud that and call it clever. Tim Cahill claimed a none-existant handball the other night just to test the water withthe ref. It worked. Cheating? Lying?....

Before anyone suggests I'm wearing Red Specs etc, I'm mean this as a general point too, not just referring to Ronaldo or Terry.

There's all kinds of bullshit and gamesmanship going on during the games that's all trying to get one over on the ref and an advantage for their team, but it's only the one the foreign players (yes, the same foreign players that enhance the quality of our league so much) have brought to our game that we condemn so generally and so fervently.
you are over analysing. a leg was out. ronaldo went out of his way to run into it. its a dive. over. move on to next game.

Unread 09-12-2007, 01:16 PM
The Return of JC

Quote:
you are over analysing. a leg was out. ronaldo went out of his way to run into it. its a dive. over. move on to next game.
Ok, let's move on based purely on your assertion

I'm not over analysing. I'm merely underlining that diving is a grey area that we refuse to accept in this country (enforced by your refusal to talk about any point I've made and just move on) and that there is hypocrisy regarding other types of gamesmanship.

Unread 09-12-2007, 01:23 PM
shenwen

Its not an assertion. Its a fact. watch the video.

your argument - as far as I can tell - is that what he did is not necessarily cheating. fair enough. but he did dive. you (I think) seem to think diving is an acceptable part of the game. again, fair enough. but he did dive.

and you are over-analysing. with an over-used and cliched argument to boot (which is why I am saying move on)

Unread 09-12-2007, 01:25 PM
tatty

He doesn't need to dive as he'll get more than his share of genuine penalties/free-kicks.

All he does with his diving is lose genuine cases because refs think he's always cheating.

Unread 09-12-2007, 01:27 PM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Its not an assertion. Its a fact. watch the video.

your argument - as far as I can tell - is that what he did is not necessarily cheating. fair enough. but he did dive. you (I think) seem to think diving is an acceptable part of the game. again, fair enough. but he did dive.

and you are over-analysing. with an over-used and cliched argument to boot (which is why I am saying move on)

Explain?

It's not a fact. There is contact, that's a fact. May I ask, what do you consider to be a dive?

edit: incidentally, I'm not saying that diving is acceptable, I'm underlining the inaccuracies and hypocrisy surrounding it. That's what annoys me.

Unread 09-12-2007, 01:30 PM
Zorg

This is pathetic.

Unread 09-12-2007, 01:30 PM
wiganste

Quote:

Explain?

It's not a fact. There is contact, that's a fact. May I ask, what do you consider to be a dive?
Ok, there was contact. So if there's contact, it's not a dive. (I still say he dived btw)
I'm sure you'll agree he cheated then? Just like Pires v Portsmouth 3 or 4 years ago? And we called Pires a cheating @#%&! then.....

Ronaldo doesn't need to do what he did yesterday. He's better than that. The game was already won, it was the 91st minute - no need.
We know he's had a rough time this season with refs but that yesterday will do him no favours when we're in the nitty gritty part of the season trying to win trophies.

Unread 09-12-2007, 01:33 PM
puressence

im sure his shirt was pulled ....

and that pires dive was 100 times worse that yday
Closed Thread