United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > TV / Film / Books / Arts

Unread 11-01-2023, 04:05 PM
Seamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip Hubley View Post

absolutely loved it....

did you enjoy in bruges if you've seen that?
yeah. I was just expecting more....and it never happened

Unread 11-01-2023, 04:15 PM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
I watched the Banshees of Inisherin - I was totally underwhelmed
Glad there’s someone else who felt this way about it.

Unread 11-01-2023, 04:17 PM
Poop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers View Post
Glad there’s someone else who felt this way about it.
I hated it. Load of old balls.

Unread 11-01-2023, 04:30 PM
suedeshoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
I watched the Banshees of Inisherin - I was totally underwhelmed
I loved it. Bittersweet allegory about the history of the Irish social/political situation. Bit pointless, violent, confusing but also funny and beautiful. I enjoyed it Great performances.

Unread 13-01-2023, 12:21 AM
Fat Al

The Pale Blue Eye
Netflix murder who has done this, set in 1830 where Christian Bale plays a jaded retired detective hired to investigate the hanging of a cadet at West Point Academy.

Decent enough film, altho it could have been trimmed by 15-20 mins. IMDB rating a little lower than I think it should be. Deffo worth a watch tho.

No busters & a few deaths are involved.

Despite being set & filmed in the USA, nearly all of the lead roles are played by British actors.
Stand out was the lad playing Cadet Edgar Allen Poe (yup, THAT Poe). Played by the lad who used to play Harry Potters fat bully cousin, Dudley. Was very good in this film.

Unread 18-01-2023, 07:06 PM
CamelToe

project wolf hunting - crazy, gory genetically engineered super shitbag actioner . sags a bit in places but the corn syrup and cochineal factor is unbelievable.

the devil all the time - wow, unlucky,

Unread 19-01-2023, 09:30 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Al View Post
The Pale Blue Eye
Netflix murder who has done this, set in 1830 where Christian Bale plays a jaded retired detective hired to investigate the hanging of a cadet at West Point Academy.

Decent enough film, altho it could have been trimmed by 15-20 mins. IMDB rating a little lower than I think it should be. Deffo worth a watch tho.

Despite being set & filmed in the USA, nearly all of the lead roles are played by British actors.
Stand out was the lad playing Cadet Edgar Allen Poe (yup, THAT Poe). Played by the lad who used to play Harry Potters fat bully cousin, Dudley. Was very good in this film.
Confusing start to the review

Will be watching, love a whodunnit noir

Unread 19-01-2023, 09:49 AM
Jethro

Few to catch up on here.

Fatal Vacation - A group of en route to the Philippines get kidnapped and held for ransom. Loads of explosions, r*pes, bush crashes and killins'.

I love Maria - Chinese take on Weird Science and Robocop. I've seen weirder.

S.W.A.T - Basically a 100 minute long recruitment video. Being a top cop is awesome.

Blood Diner - Two brothers open a restaurant to kill people only to feed them to a dormant Egyptian goddess. Truly bizarre horror comedy.

Commando - The most complete and pure action film of all time.

Cloverfield - Loved the marketing in the run up to the release. Really holds up well for a handheld POV film. 80 minutes with great monster nonsense.

Unread 21-01-2023, 12:18 PM
believe

Thumbs up

Bank of Dave - Netflix film about a bloke from Burnley who took on the banks to create a lending company that used its profits to go back in to Burnley community. Only watched it because my brother is in it but thoroughly enjoyable. Great feel good film for a miserable Saturday afternoon.

Unread 21-01-2023, 12:33 PM
Jethro

Tár - Story of a composer trying to complete her masterpiece with allegations of rum behaviour starting to leak. At times drifts into horror and comedy territory but it's a truly great film where you're actually rooting for the villain. One of the best endings to a film in years.

Unread 21-01-2023, 12:49 PM
Chorlton74

The Exterminator

total cast of nobody's. it's pretty grim in parts, but what an ace film. the poster was cool as when it was in the video shops back in the day.

few busters, plenty of killings. maybe one day flame throwing vigilantism will happen.

Unread 24-01-2023, 05:49 PM
Jethro

Rat Race - An early 00s reimagining of It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World. The Klaus Barbie bit never fails to get a chuckle from me when the Jewish family turn up thinking they're visiting a Barbie doll museum.

Cloverfield Paradox - I was really onboard with the idea of nefarious companies and aliens planting seeds on earth with all the marketing Easter eggs etc. Then I watched this and have not felt as deflated watching a film in some time. Somehow a laser in space gives unlimited energy for earth with a very diverse mix of people at the helm. Irish Space programme anyone? Anyway, they end up in multiple dimensions with no rhyme or reasoning with a cack handed tie in to the first two. Shit.

Unread 24-01-2023, 05:55 PM
AK14

The Menu

f***ing crazy but I enjoyed it

Unread 24-01-2023, 06:04 PM
dunk

I love Rat Race top film.

Unread 24-01-2023, 06:39 PM
ragnorak

is rat race the one with rowan atkinson when he has narcolepsy?

Unread 24-01-2023, 07:16 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Al
The Pale Blue Eye

Turned it off after 20 mins. f***ing boring

Unread 24-01-2023, 09:07 PM
Spock

The Gray man, lasted 30 minutes...f*** its awful

Unread 25-01-2023, 03:32 AM
shenwen

Thought I'd already mentioned on here but Triangle of Sadness - satires of the super rich seem to be popular right now, but this is done well. The character of the young English lad is so f***ing annoying

The Fabelmans - thought it was okay. The John Ford scene at the end was magical, but too often felt flat and cliched - for instance the school bully scenes. You'll also see one of the major plot turns an absolute mile away.

Unread Yesterday, 10:16 PM
Ethers

Aftersun.

Jesus. Hit me that did.

Unread Today, 12:08 AM
Spock

Prey, the 1700's predator one. Good fun actually, easy watch