United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 21-05-2019, 08:37 AM
TheFatGoth

Question Can Manchester United get any worse?

"The presumption is that they’ve bottomed out. That, having missed out on the Champions League and discovered the full extent of their recruiting inefficiencies, United will blunder towards sensible reform almost by default.

Will they, though?

At the time of writing, there remains no progress on the sporting director front, other than to say that Rio Ferdinand’s candidacy is still being taken seriously. On the pitch, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s ethereal brand of coaching is guiding a side not fit for purpose, full of wavering focus and riddled with imperfection. And, with each passing day, Solskjaer himself moves closer to his tearful goodbye, to the Di Matteo departure which his receding tactical credibility surely renders only a matter of time.

The transfer market opening teases the possibility of a quantum leap up the table, but most likely it will just be a continuation of the same – the process by which the club have loaded their squad with under-invested, over-paid players who are just about alluring enough to keep the sponsors paying, but not actually good enough to alter the trend.

Can it get worse? Absolutely. Maybe that’s what United need, too. While sixth place provides a Europa League spot and the illusion of hope, a further drop would demand a more nuclear response, in which the entire football department is detonated and rebuilt. As it is – and has been the case for some time – the prevailing internal mentality seems to be that, with enough commercial revenue flowing in and with enough Ferguson DNA on the training pitches, the club will just glide back to the game’s summit on the thermals of their past.

It’s not much of a strategy and, you suspect, until United have been properly humbled there won’t really be one."

Unread 21-05-2019, 08:40 AM
Sapien

Nobody is presuming that.

It is extremely clear that it is going to get worse from here.

Unread 21-05-2019, 08:47 AM
windy waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pop
Quite fancy Utd to finish bottom half of the table next season if things continue as they left off.
And with the prospective signings, definitely.

Unread 21-05-2019, 08:50 AM
bazrah99

I get the feeling that there will be a lot of pressure on the manager and players to start well next season (first few games). If it doesn't go to plan it could be huge problem.

Unread 21-05-2019, 08:53 AM
no fun

I’m confident we will avoid relegation, and if we get a few decisions going our way there’s an outside chance we will qualify for the Europa League

Unread 21-05-2019, 09:02 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFatGoth
"The presumption is that they’ve bottomed out. That, having missed out on the Champions League and discovered the full extent of their recruiting inefficiencies, United will blunder towards sensible reform almost by default.

Will they, though?

At the time of writing, there remains no progress on the sporting director front, other than to say that Rio Ferdinand’s candidacy is still being taken seriously. On the pitch, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s ethereal brand of coaching is guiding a side not fit for purpose, full of wavering focus and riddled with imperfection. And, with each passing day, Solskjaer himself moves closer to his tearful goodbye, to the Di Matteo departure which his receding tactical credibility surely renders only a matter of time.

The transfer market opening teases the possibility of a quantum leap up the table, but most likely it will just be a continuation of the same – the process by which the club have loaded their squad with under-invested, over-paid players who are just about alluring enough to keep the sponsors paying, but not actually good enough to alter the trend.

Can it get worse? Absolutely. Maybe that’s what United need, too. While sixth place provides a Europa League spot and the illusion of hope, a further drop would demand a more nuclear response, in which the entire football department is detonated and rebuilt. As it is – and has been the case for some time – the prevailing internal mentality seems to be that, with enough commercial revenue flowing in and with enough Ferguson DNA on the training pitches, the club will just glide back to the game’s summit on the thermals of their past.

It’s not much of a strategy and, you suspect, until United have been properly humbled there won’t really be one."

Which snide #@&%! wrote this then?

No illusions tbh. It’s the first time I’ve come to familiarise with the new reality that we probably aren’t winning the league again any time soon.

Unread 21-05-2019, 09:07 AM
CyrilSkeer

Given the state of the club from top to bottom, it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if we were relegated within 5 years.

Unread 21-05-2019, 09:10 AM
waynes ear's

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Which snide #@&%! wrote this then?
Sparky

Unread 21-05-2019, 09:19 AM
redhegemony

What a load of insane %@#$&!s. Nobody knows who will come in and who will go and how the team will be set up and perform. £#%&! me he came in when we were shocking and gave us a lift - give the bloke a break and a chance to set us right before deciding the ship's holed below the waterline.

Unread 21-05-2019, 10:45 AM
tatty

A finish outside the top 6 could be the best thing that happens to the club.

The Glazer's would see falling revenue and a whole load of hassle which you would hope would prompt an exit.

Unread 21-05-2019, 10:48 AM
rubbernecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhegemony
What a load of insane %@#$&!s. Nobody knows who will come in and who will go and how the team will be set up and perform. £#%&! me he came in when we were shocking and gave us a lift - give the bloke a break and a chance to set us right before deciding the ship's holed below the waterline.
Yup - it's wall to wall fickle mard @#%&!s

Unread 21-05-2019, 10:57 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes ear's
Sparky

Unread 21-05-2019, 11:17 AM
Sapien

"Can Manchester United get worse? They always get worse."

Unread 21-05-2019, 11:18 AM
Lok

Our players will take this as a challenge more than anything else

Unread 21-05-2019, 11:23 AM
guerreiro

I’m waiting till closer to the season before starting the relegation poll.

tbf I can’t believe this shower of shit are the sixth best in the country

Unread 21-05-2019, 11:28 AM
Fat Al

We’ll always avoid relegation, as they’ll always, always be enough utter dross below us to keep us safe.

But we’re now on course to become Everton.

Unread 21-05-2019, 11:30 AM
TheFatGoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapien
"Can Manchester United get worse? They always get worse."
"The big goalie's heading off"

Unread 21-05-2019, 11:50 AM
messhead

Over the past six years I've often sat there thinking to myself "well it can't get any worse than this", only to find out later on that it can indeed get worse. So, with that in mind, I'm gonna say unless we sort our shit out sharpish that yes, Manchester United can get worse.

Unread 21-05-2019, 12:00 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes ear's
Sparky
Living in your head.

L.I.V.I.N

Unread 21-05-2019, 12:08 PM
waynes ear's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Living in your head.