United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 25-08-2013, 01:55 PM
Serenity Now

Default "Jose Mourinho has taken over from Sir Alex Ferguson as the new master of mind games"

We all know how vital a part managing the media plays in modern football: one telling comment, one snappy put-down or biting rejoinder in a manager's press conference on Friday can shape how a whole footballing weekend, if not a whole season plays out. Yes, training and tactical preparation are certainly important parts of the modern manager's role, only a fool would claim otherwise, but it's a well-known fact that psychology is everything in football. So whoever masters the so-called "managerial mind games" clearly puts his club at a huge advantage. The incredible success enjoyed by Sir Alex Ferguson, the man generally acknowledged to be the greatest living practitioner of the so-called "dark arts", is evidence enough of this.

The following article from the Sunday, August 25th edition of the Daily Express will, then, be a worrying one for Manchester United fans. The writer of the article, one Colin ('Big Col') Mafham, makes clear that it's Jose Mourinho, the new Chelsea manager, who is winning the all-important psychological battle. Indeed, Mafham suggests that it is Mourinho who has, in fact, assumed Ferguson's mantle as the so-called "master of mind games" - something that must surely be of great concern to all Manchester United fans, who might well have expected that it would be Ferguson's hand-picked successor at Manchester United, his fellow Scot, the canny David Moyes, who would take up the role.
Quote:
The fans love him, housewives fancy him, the media like him and players have a healthy respect for him.

But don’t be surprised if some of his fellow managers don’t go a bundle on him. Take David Moyes and Andre Villas-Boas, for instance. Both have good reason to be wary of Chelsea’s self-styled “Happy One”.

When Moyes and Mourinho meet at Old Trafford tomorrow they will be all smiles and handshakes ahead of a game that is assuming monumental proportions, even at this early stage of the season. But behind the bonhomie is some serious, mind-boggling business.

It’s not easy for Moyes, given the friendly relationship his predecessor enjoyed with Mourinho. And the former Real Madrid boss is not going out of his way to be pally, with pre-match patter not designed to help United’s new man feel at ease. Moyes is already on the back foot as his Chelsea visitor prepares to make another attempt to lure Wayne Rooney away from Old Trafford.

Talk of the former “Special One’s” pleasure at playing Manchester United only turns up the heat.

Take a listen as Mourinho says: “I knocked them out of the Champions League and maybe I have won more than I have lost against them, maybe. But playing against Manchester United always gives me pleasure. I like it.

“Last year everybody in Madrid had some tension when we had to play Manchester United in the Champions League, but I was happy.

“I like the stadium, I like the opponent, I like the difficulty of the game, I like it very, very much.”
Whether Moyes can overcome his early disadvantage in the so-called "mind games" and bring the stratospheric Mourinho, the self-styled "Special One", crashing back to Earth remains to be seen. Whatever happens, it's safe to say that Big Col, and the world, will be watching.

Unread 25-08-2013, 02:04 PM
Redordead

Whatever is said on here about him, he will be our manager at some point . I consider these few seasons with Dave as foreplay.

Tin hat #WHAT£#%&!INGEVER

Unread 25-08-2013, 02:08 PM
believe

I say, let the rest of the ABU nation have Mourinho, at least it takes the limelight from Moyes.

Fwiw, I don't think we'll ever see him manage United. Well hopefully.

Unread 25-08-2013, 02:12 PM
Redordead

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
I say, let the rest of the ABU nation have Mourinho, at least it takes the limelight from Moyes.

Fwiw, I don't think we'll ever see him manage United. Well hopefully.
No ones on The fence with Jose, he is a very divisive character.

Unread 25-08-2013, 02:16 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redordead
No ones on The fence with Jose, he is a very divisive character.
I always thought I wanted him here and the restraint he shown last season actually kidded us into thinking he had some class. That thought's soon gone out of my head though, he a classless £#%&!ing idiot who is perfect for Chelsea.

Unread 25-08-2013, 02:17 PM
dragflick

Wink

Quote:
I always thought I wanted him here and the restraint he shown last season actually kidded us into thinking he had some class. That thought's soon gone out of my head though, he a classless £#%&!ing idiot who is perfect for Chelsea.
Spot on (for a change).

Unread 25-08-2013, 02:18 PM
Sparky***

Mourinho's going to need a lot more than cheeky press conferences and childish smirks in post-match interviews to get the job done this time round. All this mind game %@#$&!s is just that - %@#$&!s.

We have a very strong top 5 teams now not the assorted cannon fodder that was around when he was last here.

Personally I think City are going to take Chelsea apart when they play them.

Unread 25-08-2013, 02:21 PM
Sparky***

It's also been practically confirmed by that Rob Beasley journo that follows Chelsea that they've only signed Willian to stop spurs getting him. Sounds to me like Jose is genuinely worried about his apprentice Andre down at the Lane.

Unread 25-08-2013, 02:21 PM
Tumescent Throb

very funny, serenity

Unread 25-08-2013, 02:22 PM
Lazlo Panaflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenwrightsWallet
You've come across as a bit of a bitter Manc @#%&! here mate.

Unread 25-08-2013, 02:26 PM
taff

Quote:
I always thought I wanted him here and the restraint he shown last season actually kidded us into thinking he had some class.
even that was completely contrived and stage-managed. only mourinho could make a show out of being restrained.

Unread 25-08-2013, 02:41 PM
Switching Off

When does he pick up the trophy :rolleyes :

More fawning media %@#$&!s. Couldn't give a shit about Willian but Maureen is getting praised for snide remarks about Spurs while Moyes is getting slated for making a formal bid for two players. Hope we dick them tomorrow.

Unread 25-08-2013, 02:43 PM
The Return of JC

Mind games are bullshit. Just utter nonsense from the media trying to create a side show. No halfway intelligent manager would get sucked in to anything like that.

Hence why Keegan did.

Unread 25-08-2013, 02:45 PM
Serenity Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Return of JC
Mind games are bullshit. Just utter nonsense from the media trying to create a side show. No halfway intelligent manager would get sucked in to anything like that.
Riiiight

Unread 25-08-2013, 02:50 PM
Tumescent Throb

just did a double take and yes, there is an everton #@&%! on this united forum having a pop at a United fan slagging off chelsea's manager

Unread 25-08-2013, 02:52 PM
Jez Quigley

Default Serenity

has nailed it here

It's well known that Professor Snape in the HP books was modelled on SAF. A true master do the dark arts whereas Moyes is (Phil) Neville Longbottom. Can barely fiddle with his wand before it shoots off unexpectedly.

Jose M is more like SAF than we care to admit.

Lampardicus Deflecticus!!

Sorry but SN is right. As Leann Rhimes said, you simply cannot engage the moonlight in fisticuffs and I wouldn't be surprised to see Moyes turned into a frog come 2145 on Monday

Unread 25-08-2013, 02:53 PM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity Now
Riiiight
Problem?

Unread 25-08-2013, 04:14 PM
The Watcher

Looks like Jose's mind games are too much to handle for some fredsters. S2C.

Unread 25-08-2013, 04:16 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
yep, strange to see serenity virtually drooling like this

composure just completely gone

Unread 25-08-2013, 04:42 PM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
I've kept really quiet, but I tell ya, Serenity went down in my estimation when he said that....
Closed Thread