United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 18-06-2009, 09:25 AM
koppas

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
IIRC, Arsenal wanted him to put in a transfer request if he wanted to leave, in the end he wouldn't do it and signed a new contract at Arsenal instead.

When you see the shit Sol Campbell got for moving from Spurs to Arsenal, you can sort of understand players not wanting to switch between rivals.
Would have thought it would be in his autobiography - would you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC One Love
So he was gonna join us from Arsenal?

But I thought our rivals would never sell us a player and no player from a rival would consider joining us?
Zing!

Unread 18-06-2009, 09:25 AM
dunk

Quote:
So he was gonna join us from Arsenal?

But I thought our rivals would never sell us a player and no player from a rival would consider joining us?
Now, they won't. It's a situation that has got steadily worse as years have gone by. We did once sign Frank Stapleton and Viv Anderson from Arsenal and Ray Wilkins from Chelsea, wouldn't happen now though.

Unread 18-06-2009, 09:26 AM
koppas

Quote:
Now, they won't.
They did though - as early as three years ago.

You are getting incredibly close to seeing your derriere here.

Unread 18-06-2009, 09:27 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by koppas
Would have thought it would be in his autobiography - would you?
Not really, no.

Unread 18-06-2009, 09:27 AM
koppas

Quote:
Not really, no.
Of course it would you plum.

Unread 18-06-2009, 09:28 AM
dunk

Quote:
They did though - as early as three years ago.

You are getting incredibly close to seeing your derriere here.
Ok. BTTT this when we sign Robin van Persie, or any player from Chelsea, Arsenal or Liverpool. Then I'll be wrong.

Who did we sign from one of those 3 3 years ago?

Unread 18-06-2009, 09:29 AM
koppas

Quote:
Ok. BTTT this when we sign Robin van Persie, or any player from Chelsea, Arsenal or Liverpool. Then I'll be wrong.

Who did we sign from one of those 3 3 years ago?
We didn't sign anyone. Chelsea are rivals to Arsenal - more so than we are. They seem to like doing business with each other.

Unread 18-06-2009, 09:29 AM
MUFC One Love

Quote:
Now, they won't. It's a situation that has got steadily worse as years have gone by. We did once sign Frank Stapleton and Viv Anderson from Arsenal and Ray Wilkins from Chelsea, wouldn't happen now though.
Of course it would.

Arsenal are known for taking the money for player, Wenger has said he doesn't mind selling to rivals, if the price is right Arsenal would accept a bid for any of their players, I reckon a few of their players would join us to, apart from like United - Liverpool, football isn't what is was regarding rivarly imo.

Unread 18-06-2009, 09:31 AM
dunk

Quote:
We didn't sign anyone. Chelsea are rivals to Arsenal - more so than we are. They seem to like doing business with each other.
No they didn't. In fact they almost went to court over the prospect of doing business at one point. On this occasion 2 players forced their hands and an acrimonious deal was done.

Diarra doesn't really count as he wasn't a major player.

Unread 18-06-2009, 09:32 AM
koppas

Quote:
No they didn't. In fact they almost went to court over the prospect of doing business at one point. On this occasion 2 players forced their hands and an acrimonious deal was done.

They almost went to court over it?

Any proof for this claim?

I'm going to hand you a mirror soon.

MUFC One Love

Quote:

What if a player forces a move to United.

As Koppas says, Chelsea are more rivals to Arsenal than we are and they've done business a few times. Tbh dunk, if everyone believes you, nobody in the world wants to join United and no club would accept a bid.

Barracuda

Van Persie is not really a full blown striker as such, he's more a Ronaldo style wide attacker - in that sense you could understand the interest - like for like, but obviously not quite as good.

Another thing to bear in mind, and I'm sure this is right. SAF was at some kind of awards function years ago and was asked which player he would really like to have from another Premier League team. He answered Van Persie.

No link or proof or anything, I just remember reading it somewhere at the time.

Personally his injury record would worry me, I would think after Saha and Hargreaves we'd be reluctant to go down that route again? Good player though ...

Unread 18-06-2009, 09:33 AM
koppas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barracuda
Van Persie is not really a full blown striker as such, he's more a Ronaldo style wide attacker - in that sense you could understand the interest - like for like, but obviously not quite as good.

Another thing to bear in mind, and I'm sure this is right. SAF was at some kind of awards function years ago and was asked which player he would really like to have from another Premier League team. He answered Van Persie.

No link or proof or anything, I just remember reading it somewhere at the time.

Personally his injury record would worry me, I would think after Saha and Hargreaves we'd be reluctant to go down that route again? Good player though ...
True that. I remember it too.

Unread 18-06-2009, 09:50 AM
koppas

Quote:

As Koppas says, Chelsea are more rivals to Arsenal than we are and they've done business a few times. Tbh dunk, if everyone believes you, nobody in the world wants to join United and no club would accept a bid.

Unread 18-06-2009, 09:53 AM
dunk

Quote:

Then it might happen, van Persie, with his contract at the point that it is could easily attempt to force Arsenals hand if he REALLY wants to join United. Whether he does or not is the question. Whether he would want to do that to the club that took a chance on him in the first place and a manager he respects.

As for nobody wanting to join and no club accepting a bid, don't be £#%&!ing stupid. Just not the players we are being linked with by people on here (have I been proven wrong yet? Ribery, Benzema, Villa are the 3 I have said don't want to come) and major rivals in this country not accepting a bid, I am also of the opinion that Bayern and Lyon won't sell this summer, (unless for ridiculous sums to Real, and United won't get involved in that). Just because what I am saying you don't want to hear, doesn't make it pessimistic or miserable, it's just the way the market is atm.

As I said earlier, bttt this when something I have said is incorrect with regards to transfers this summer.

(with regards to Vieira, it may have been Arsenal that bottled it in the end, my memory of 8 years ago is fuzzy)

Unread 18-06-2009, 09:55 AM
koppas

Quote:
Then it might happen, van Persie, with his contract at the point that it is could easily attempt to force Arsenals hand if he REALLY wants to join United. Whether he does or not is the question. Whether he would want to do that to the club that took a chance on him in the first place and a manager he respects.

As for nobody wanting to join and no club accepting a bid, don't be £#%&!ing stupid. Just not the players we are being linked with by people on here (have I been proven wrong yet? Ribery, Benzema, Villa are the 3 I have said don't want to come) and major rivals in this country not accepting a bid, I am also of the opinion that Bayern and Lyon won't sell this summer, (unless for ridiculous sums to Real, and United won't get involved in that). Just because what I am saying you don't want to hear, doesn't make it pessimistic or miserable, it's just the way the market is atm.
Don't agree with that. Footballers don't give a shit about sentiment anymore.

Unread 18-06-2009, 09:56 AM
dunk

Quote:
Don't agree with that. Footballers don't give a shit about sentiment anymore.
Do you think Fabregas would do it to Arsenal?

Unread 18-06-2009, 09:58 AM
Crumps

He's a very good player so I am always glad when he is injured, which is a hell of a lot.

Unread 18-06-2009, 09:59 AM
MUFC One Love

Quote:

As I said earlier, bttt this when something I have said is incorrect with regards to transfers this summer.

(with regards to Vieira, it may have been Arsenal that bottled it in the end, my memory of 8 years ago is fuzzy)
United will sign one big player this summer.

I'll drink my own piss if they don't.

Unread 18-06-2009, 10:00 AM
koppas

Quote:
Aha! Trust Monsieur Koppas. My memory is superb when it comes to football.

Quote:
Do you think Fabregas would do it to Arsenal?
Join United? No. He will have the pick of Barca/Real when he decides to leave.
Closed Thread