United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 18-06-2009, 09:09 AM
borsuk

great player, bit of a @#%&!, much more likely to go abroad if he leaves england imo.

Unread 18-06-2009, 09:09 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by koppas
Why wouldn't he come here?

As for Arsenal, can't see why they wouldn't sell him to us. We aren't really a rival to them anymore, let's be honest, and Arsene-Fergie seem to have developed a good relationship over the past year or so.
Players in this country tend to shy away from joining major rivals, there hasn't been many direct transfers. I can't imagine any Chelsea/Arsenal/Liverpool player agreeing to sign for United, especially if there were any other options.

Unread 18-06-2009, 09:11 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
great player, bit of a @#%&!, much more likely to go abroad if he leaves england imo.
A very astute observation.

I think you arose a little too early today.

Unread 18-06-2009, 09:12 AM
koppas

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Players in this country tend to shy away from joining major rivals, there hasn't been many direct transfers. I can't imagine any Chelsea/Arsenal/Liverpool player agreeing to sign for United, especially if there were any other options.
Another example of your pessimism.

Another player who "wouldn't join United".

As for direct transfers, there has been a few:

Ashley Cole
William Gallas
Lassana Diarra
Mikael Silvestre.

Other options? So if it's a choice of joining Manchester United or, say, Athletico Madrid, he would want to join Athletico would he?

I swear you just say these things to get a rise.

Unread 18-06-2009, 09:15 AM
koppas

His wife.

dunk

Quote:
Another example of your pessimism.

Another player who "wouldn't join United".

As for direct transfers, there has been a few:

Ashley Cole
William Gallas
Lassana Diarra
Mikael Silvestre.

Other options? So if it's a choice of joining Manchester United or, say, Athletico Madrid, he would want to join Athletico would he?

I swear you just say these things to get a rise.
You honestly think that Atletico would be the biggest club outside England in for him?

Of those players that moved, 2 were doing nothing or coming to the end of their time at the club or in trouble/dispute and trying to get out. As a rule, players just don't make that switch. Vieira bottled it, Adebayor (allegedly) bottled it. It's not pessimism, it's living in the real World. Feel free to bttt this if I'm wrong.

caliban

Problem is, he's got a touch of the moody dutchness which makes him a liability.

We've already got the human timebomb (rooney) going beswick from time to time and The Lord of the Night (berbles) hanging around with a permanent monk on, so unless we want to go headlong into only recruiting strikers with marked DSM-IV-TR characteristics, I'd suggest we steer clear.

Unread 18-06-2009, 09:16 AM
koppas

Quote:
You honestly think that Atletico would be the biggest club outside England in for him?

Of those players that moved, 2 were doing nothing or coming to the end of their time at the club or in trouble/dispute and trying to get out. As a rule, players just don't make that switch. Vieira bottled it, Adebayor (allegedly) bottled it. It's not pessimism, it's living in the real World. Feel free to bttt this if I'm wrong.
Vieira didn't bottle it at all. The only club he bottled was joining Madrid. We wanted him when he was leaving Juve but only didn't join us as we didn't seem as keen as Inter Milan were.

Unread 18-06-2009, 09:17 AM
Stickman

£#%&!ing hell - are people taking this as a goer then? From the suns assumptions

dunk

Quote:
Vieira didn't bottle it at all. The only club he bottled was joining Madrid. We wanted him when he was leaving Juve but only didn't join us as we didn't seem as keen as Inter Milan were.
Er, no. We were going to buy him instead of Veron, but he bottled the switch. look it up.

koppas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
£#%&!ing hell - are people taking this as a goer then? From the suns assumptions
I have already got a shirt printed.

Unread 18-06-2009, 09:19 AM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC One Love
Sorry mate but that is %@#$&!s.

He is a fantastic player. He'd thrive off playing for United, he can score any type of goal. I actually think a signing like this of a player that nobody has mentioned is more likely than all the usual names being mentioned.
Have to agree to disagree then.

Just dont like him onelove

MUFC One Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
It's the summer, no real football, people are going to debate speculation about players maybe joining us.

koppas

Quote:
Er, no. We were going to buy him instead of Veron, but he bottled the switch. look it up.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...al/3102376.stm

Quote:
I read that Manchester United asked about me during the summer, and anything is possible in football,"
Can't find anything saying he bottled it? Any links?

Unread 18-06-2009, 09:20 AM
dunk

Quote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...al/3102376.stm

Can't find anything saying he bottled it? Any links?
Trust me, he did. Deal was agreed in principle, but Vieira decided against it at the last minute and we went and signed Veron instead. I would find it for you, but I can't be arsed. Safe to say, I am right.

Unread 18-06-2009, 09:21 AM
koppas

Quote:
Trust me, he did. Deal was agreed in principle, but Vieira decided against it at the last minute and we went and signed Veron instead. I would find it for you, but I can't be arsed. Safe to say, I am right.
I know we WANTED him in 2003 as I read something that Fergie said.

Never heard that he decided against it.

Can anyone else confirm this?

Unread 18-06-2009, 09:22 AM
borsuk

Quote:
A very astute observation.

I think you arose a little too early today.

arsenal are england's team, everybody knows that

despite not having any english players in the team most of the time

Unread 18-06-2009, 09:23 AM
koppas

I have read Vieira's autobiography and it wasn't in there.

Unread 18-06-2009, 09:24 AM
dunk

Quote:
I know we WANTED him in 2003 as I read something that Fergie said.

Never heard that he decided against it.

Can anyone else confirm this?
IIRC, Arsenal wanted him to put in a transfer request if he wanted to leave, in the end he wouldn't do it and signed a new contract at Arsenal instead.

When you see the shit Sol Campbell got for moving from Spurs to Arsenal, you can sort of understand players not wanting to switch between rivals.

Unread 18-06-2009, 09:24 AM
MUFC One Love

Quote:
So he was gonna join us from Arsenal?

But I thought our rivals would never sell us a player and no player from a rival would consider joining us?
Closed Thread