United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 15-06-2009, 11:59 PM
taff

no wonder they're reporting losses when they're pissing that amount of money away on the toilet seat-thieving midget.

scousers to do a leeds the season after next. yhihf

Unread 16-06-2009, 01:50 AM
bobbledinho

To be fair it says that price includes add-ons and is mainly writing off the money owed for Crouch. I think Spurs did something similar when they bought Defoe back. In terms of actual money shelled out at the time it wasn't a big amount.

Unread 16-06-2009, 02:12 AM
user_name

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbledinho
To be fair it says that price includes add-ons and is mainly writing off the money owed for Crouch.
They have still spent the money they were owed though. Does it really matter that it was never in hand?

Unread 16-06-2009, 02:18 AM
bobbledinho

I guess not but what I was saying is if Benitez is given 30million to spend this summer(for argument sake) then instead of taking 18.5m out of it to spend on Johnson it'll be a fair bit less and he'll have enough left over to make one decent signing. Assuming he can make a decent signing. The club is still facing an outlay of 18.5m but presumably, the way the deal is supposedly structured, it leaves more in the transfer kitty for senor fat £#%&! to spend.

Unread 16-06-2009, 02:29 AM
Tiberian

Good addition to their squad, left back seemed to be more of a priority though, Arbeloa is actually a pretty good player. The fee is ridiculous, but then Alves went for 25+ last season. better player yes, but full backs are more glamorous now than ever. If Cole, Clichy or Evra were sold I would expect 15 mill+ at least to be the minimum starting fee.

Unread 16-06-2009, 02:34 AM
armchair

I'm glad we didn't get him.

Unread 16-06-2009, 07:25 AM
koppas

He goes no about us spending so much more money than them - and spends £20m on a position that doesn't really need covering.

Unread 16-06-2009, 07:49 AM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo
so 'big glen' is a scouser now?
Always with the racial stereotype

Unread 16-06-2009, 08:30 AM
BryanRobson'sLiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by taff
no wonder they're reporting losses when they're pissing that amount of money away on the toilet seat-thieving midget.

scousers to do a leeds the season after next. yhihf
Given United's level of debt, no matter how well it seems to be being managed at present I'd say we were in no position to make such giddy proclamations.

Even if Pompy still owe the dippers 7 million from Crouch and that is being taken in to account it is a huge amount for a full back. I wonder if, as Johnson can be moved in to the midfield and has been a few times, it is an indication that he might be going to sell Mascherano to Barca?

Unread 16-06-2009, 08:31 AM
koppas

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanRobson'sLiver
Given United's level of debt, no matter how well it seems to be being managed at present I'd say we were in no position to make such giddy proclamations.

Even if Pompy still owe the dippers 7 million from Crouch and that is being taken in to account it is a huge amount for a full back. I wonder if, as Johnson can be moved in to the midfield and has been a few times, it is an indication that he might be going to sell Mascherano to Barca?
Na. If that was the case they would have stumped up the asking price for Gareth Barry. I am sure he still would have prefered to join them. They aren't going to pay £18.5m for the England right back to stick him in midfield.

Unread 16-06-2009, 08:56 AM
BryanRobson'sLiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by koppas
Na. If that was the case they would have stumped up the asking price for Gareth Barry. I am sure he still would have prefered to join them. They aren't going to pay £18.5m for the England right back to stick him in midfield.
That must mean that Arboleoa (sp?) is on the madrid filler list as they buy an entirely new football team then.

Unread 16-06-2009, 10:12 AM
Zorg

This must be a wum, Liverpool have no money to compete with United and Chelsea. The poor lambs.

Unread 16-06-2009, 11:45 AM
Baron

BBC Sport saying a £17m fee agreed

Dani Alves went for £20m, he's Brazil's right back, scores free kicks etc... you have to wonder what the flying £#%&! is going on with the fees.

That is absolute madness. Regardless of whether Pompey owed them £7m, that's still an overall outlay of £17m for a right back - and yet again, one that has no CL experience, whose got a seriously dodgy mentality - remember him nicking a toilet seat from B&Q or whatever ?! & if anyone watched the Internationals recently... world beater against Andorra, but £#%&!ing dogshit in the extreme against Borat over there.

I thought we should have bought him 18 months ago, he's of been far, far nearer the original price Chelsea paid years ago (£6m) & we could have got Wes to instill the Browning technique in him... shame.

Unread 16-06-2009, 11:48 AM
koppas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron_van_Marlon
BBC Sport saying a £17m fee agreed

Dani Alves went for £20m, he's Brazil's right back, scores free kicks etc... you have to wonder what the flying £#%&! is going on with the fees.

That is absolute madness. Regardless of whether Pompey owed them £7m, that's still an overall outlay of £17m for a right back - and yet again, one that has no CL experience, whose got a seriously dodgy mentality - remember him nicking a toilet seat from B&Q or whatever ?! & if anyone watched the Internationals recently... world beater against Andorra, but £#%&!ing dogshit in the extreme against Borat over there.

I thought we should have bought him 18 months ago, he's of been far, far nearer the original price Chelsea paid years ago (£6m) & we could have got Wes to instill the Browning technique in him... shame.
Nothing wrong with that. It's just banter.

Unread 16-06-2009, 11:50 AM
borsuk

wes > johnson

it's not even close tbh

17m. arf.

Unread 16-06-2009, 11:51 AM
magic_cantona

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
This must be a wum, Liverpool have no money to compete with United and Chelsea. The poor lambs.
Trying hard not to blow my cover on here on the Johnson transfer:

http://forums.lfconline.com/showthre...=89485&page=12

http://forums.lfconline.com/showthre...t=89556&page=2

Unread 16-06-2009, 11:53 AM
MUFC One Love

Decent player but £18.5m on a right back? How can Benitez whinge about us spending?

The thing is Benitez has always been good at playing the Liverpool fans, saying things to keep them on his side, excuses etc.

Unread 16-06-2009, 12:00 PM
marlo

portsmouth owe liverpool £7m.

they are going through a takeover and financial problems so liverpool wont be getting that money for a while etc.

basically liverpool have a £7m voucher to spend at portsmouth. so they spend another £7m with the £4 being add ons) and they have a english young rb who will get better and be their rb for a good few years.
especially if glen johnson makes the england rb position his own for the world cup and games leading up to it.

also gives them some attacking quality down the right just like rafael does for us.

not a shrewd bit of business but certainly not a bad bit.

Unread 16-06-2009, 12:00 PM
Tumescent Throb

Fits in well with the way Benitez plays, ie using full-backs and picking - developing in fact - the right right moments to overload teams in certain areas of the pitch with a change of tempo thrown in.

Which is why he has resisted going for the out and out wingers popular opinion has banged on about them 'needing' thus far. Torres does not and never ever has needed an out and out winger to feed off.

Benitez has tried many full-backs since he's been at the vermin, and sooner or later he will get the right ones. Johnson can join in with a fast short passing game, he can swing a decent ball over on the run and he can overlap and hit the dead ball line as well.

Johnson for me is just a typical good English player, solid technically, slightly uncomfortable tactically, and just slightly lacking that extra creativity and imagination that their top foreign counterparts show. That said, he's maybe only marginally better than what they already have, but he still represents an improvement.

Unread 16-06-2009, 12:01 PM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo
he's black and doesn't play for manchester united

the auto-translator is working again i see
Closed Thread