United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 12-06-2009, 03:50 PM
armchair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ether
Aaron Lennon was also brilliant against us as well. Get him in too.
Isn't playing well against United one of the criteria United use.

When and why was it decided to sign Ronaldo? Not that they are anything a like. he's not even really direct competition for Nani.

Unread 12-06-2009, 03:50 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron_van_Marlon
Nani scored more than that tbf. Deserves more of a chance to break through on the goal scoring basis.

In replacing Ronnie, surely we should be trying for 3 proven young-ish world class players to improve the starting XI & the rest in the squad staying as squad members / trying to get their place?
List of possibilities?

Unread 12-06-2009, 03:51 PM
koppas

Will Tosic step up next season?

Or is he destined to be a reserve player for years?

Can't say I know anything about him as top reds don't watch reserve football.

Unread 12-06-2009, 03:51 PM
Ginners

Quote:
Aaron Lennon was also brilliant against us as well. Get him in too.
would honestly be a fantastic signing if for whatever reason valencia falls through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by koppas
Will Tosic step up next season?

Or is he destined to be a reserve player for years?

Can't say I know anything about him as top reds don't watch reserve football.
from the little ive seen of him in the reserves he looks dog shit, just hasnt got the technical or physical attributes that are needed

Unread 12-06-2009, 03:52 PM
koppas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginners
would honestly be a fantastic signing if for whatever reason valencia falls through.

from the little ive seen of him in the reserves he looks dog shit, just hasnt got the technical or physical attributes that are needed
Definitely. Just needs to work on his final ball.

Unread 12-06-2009, 03:53 PM
marlo

lets hope valencia will be the fulcrum of our attacks like the berbatov has been.

no one is writing him off, people just dont think he is worth 16m especially when we have nani who is every bit as good as valencia and possibly even better.

Unread 12-06-2009, 03:54 PM
Ether

Quote:
I honestly wouldn't mind us getting Lennon in, I think he's an exciting player and with the right coaching could be exceptional.

Unread 12-06-2009, 03:58 PM
Ginners

Quote:
I honestly wouldn't mind us getting Lennon in, I think he's an exciting player and with the right coaching could be exceptional.
the only thing he lacks is a decent final ball, but since harry took over that has improved. seems like hes been around for ages but hes still only 20 or something. has the potential to be world class.

Unread 12-06-2009, 04:04 PM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
List of possibilities?

De Rossi - £20m / £25m. Roma missed out CL football this coming season & their finances are shit.

Benzema - £35m. Lyon finished 3rd, all the main powers in Europe are buying, or have bought the attacking players they want. We would be, along with Milan maybe, the best place for a young striker to develop.

Gourcuff - £13m. The fact he's already signed for Bordeaux pisses me off. Milan had him, did their usual trick of not knowing what they had & loaned him back to France & Bordeaux. They promptly won the league & he was top drawer, and they invoked the £13m fee immediately despite Milan begging him to return & being gauranteed a starting place.

Clerc - £10m+. Basically a right sided Evra & the solid & attacking, first choice right back required.

Mandanda or Lloris - £10m for either. Best two 'keepers in France. Shame Lloris already signed for Lyon earlier this year / start of last season. Mandanda is the Marseilles 'keeper.

Diego - £20m+. Already gone to Juve I believe, but as attacking midfielders go, he would have been my choice for Scholes' replacement.

That's £100m or so worth of talent we can or could have gone for. All of which would improve the first team. Some are in the upper eschaloeons of the price range, but none are over 25 & all are full internationals who have played CL football & are basically nailed on as the %@#$&!s.

Unread 12-06-2009, 04:07 PM
Ginners

it does worry me that titus bramble was wigans player of the season (fans and players). surely if valencia was worth 20m he would have won it?

i do like the look of him though.

Unread 12-06-2009, 04:08 PM
Coracao

Quote:
De Rossi - £20m / £25m. Roma missed out CL football this coming season & their finances are shit.

Benzema - £35m. Lyon finished 3rd, all the main powers in Europe are buying, or have bought the attacking players they want. We would be, along with Milan maybe, the best place for a young striker to develop.

Gourcuff - £13m. The fact he's already signed for Bordeaux pisses me off. Milan had him, did their usual trick of not knowing what they had & loaned him back to France & Bordeaux. They promptly won the league & he was top drawer, and they invoked the £13m fee immediately despite Milan begging him to return & being gauranteed a starting place.

Clerc - £10m+. Basically a right sided Evra & the solid & attacking, first choice right back required.

Mandanda or Lloris - £10m for either. Best two 'keepers in France. Shame Lloris already signed for Lyon earlier this year / start of last season. Mandanda is the Marseilles 'keeper.

Diego - £20m+. Already gone to Juve I believe, but as attacking midfielders go, he would have been my choice for Scholes' replacement.

That's £100m or so worth of talent we can or could have gone for. All of which would improve the first team. Some are in the upper eschaloeons of the price range, but none are over 25 & all are full internationals who have played CL football & are basically nailed on as the %@#$&!s.
No winger.

Unread 12-06-2009, 04:12 PM
marlo

i have this bad feeling valencia will be out biggest summer signing.

i dont think united have anything up its sleeve.

we will 'try' all the way until the close of the transfer window.

dunk

Quote:

Diego and Gourcuff are out as they have just moved

I believe Clerc was out injured for the majority of last season, so would be a gamble at best.

So that leaves 3 options, discounting the fact that there would be serious doubts about the World Classness of any of them at this moment in time.

A good illustration of the problem we have at this moment in time. We have money, but the players to spend it on are scarce at best.

Part 36 Offer

Quote:

i do like the look of him though.

Me too

Lovely hair and skin complexion.

Unread 12-06-2009, 04:14 PM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
No winger.
We already have Nani, Park, Tosic, Welbeck & if Hargreaves is fit he can play wide right.

I'd rather get a 'keeper, a right back, an attacking central midfielder & Benzema.

Besides, isn't Valencia more of a central midfielder that can play wide, just with loads of pace? He doesn't score a lot so might as well play Nani or Park or Tosic etc.

We need to replace the creativity & goals of Ronnie.

Unread 12-06-2009, 04:20 PM
Coracao

Quote:
We already have Nani, Park, Tosic, Welbeck & if Hargreaves is fit he can play wide right.

I'd rather get a 'keeper, a right back, an attacking central midfielder & Benzema.

Besides, isn't Valencia more of a central midfielder that can play wide, just with loads of pace? He doesn't score a lot so might as well play Nani or Park or Tosic etc.

We need a winger. It is bleedin obvious to me.

Nani - unbelievably erratic, and imo doesn't have much of a future.

Tosic - completely untested in England

Park - put in for his defensive duties

Hargreaves - give it a rest He isn't fit, he has played wide right for us once, he is a central midfielder, who can put in a decent cross now and again.

Welbeck - is a centre forward. He can play wide, but it is not his position, nor is he particularly good at it. Oh, and he is 18 and not physically ready for the league.

And no, Valencia isn't more of a central player. He is a winger! He can play in the middle though, but again, that does not mean it is his position.

Teams play against us with 10 men behind the ball, to not buy a winger would be completely idiotic.

And saying we need to replace the goals and creativity of Ronaldo, and then putting forward an argument for a right back and not a winger.

Unread 12-06-2009, 04:23 PM
That Boy Ronaldo!

Quote:

Here's my reaction to the players you noted for right midfield

A mixture of everything.

We can't rely on 3 Strikers to get all our goals and with Giggs, Scholes, Park, Nani popping in with a goal here and there.

Unread 12-06-2009, 04:24 PM
Stickman

For the last time...we dont need a £#%&!ing Right Back

Unread 12-06-2009, 04:24 PM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Diego and Gourcuff are out as they have just moved

I believe Clerc was out injured for the majority of last season, so would be a gamble at best.

So that leaves 3 options, discounting the fact that there would be serious doubts about the World Classness of any of them at this moment in time.

A good illustration of the problem we have at this moment in time. We have money, but the players to spend it on are scarce at best.
But WE knew we'd be selling Ronaldo. So they weren't out when they officially went, were they? Which is also my point.

Clerc... he did his knee in 2007, not sure about last year ? Played 27 league games as far as I can tell. 21 the year before. & he is often switched with Réveillère depending on the oppo.

& those 3 options... not exactly the only options. Just ones off the top of my head. We have had a year to get our own targets lined up, primed ready for us to sign on the dotted line. The squad is already huge, it just needs to replace Ronnie & inject some creativity into the centre rather than, imo, buying a player who hasn't really set Wigan alight, or his national side, or played CL football. I do like the look of Valencia, but I like the look of David Silva more.

Unread 12-06-2009, 04:26 PM
Grimson

Quote:
What's that really saying though? There's not another keeper in the French league who could do a reasonable job in the Premier League, except for Coupet, who is meant to be returning to France.

I like both Mandada and Lloris, but I don't think they'd improve the first team. Still young and error prone. I can't imagine the reaction of some here if VDS made the kind of mistakes almost every other keeper in the world makes every 5-6 games.
Closed Thread